Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 03:26 PM

16 posts, read 27,902 times

Advertisements

We are currently looking at a place in Highland Park that has no air conditioning how hot does it get in the summer there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 03:34 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,083,850 times
It can get as hot as 90-100. Typically 70s or 80s. You absolutely need a/c

Old 04-24-2016, 09:29 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,939,362 times
You might be able to get by with several room air conditioners if you can't put central air in or don't want too. big thing is to have some good fans, like ceiling fans and open up the windows at night when the temperature drops to get the cooler air in.

Old 04-24-2016, 12:10 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,707,420 times
Yes. Not absolutely (people lived in the south without AC 60 years ago) but it's going to be uncomfortable.

Old 04-24-2016, 10:41 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Actually, it depends on how shaded the house is. I lived in my house in Evanston without air conditioning for years, but we had trees shading the house and we had fans. We finally did put in central air a few years before we sold the house.

Old 04-25-2016, 09:03 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Default Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Actually, it depends on how shaded the house is. I lived in my house in Evanston without air conditioning for years, but we had trees shading the house and we had fans. We finally did put in central air a few years before we sold the house.

There are wide variations in how much shade mature trees can provide -- in many older towns, even far from the lake in areas like the Fox Valley, the need for central A/C is greatly moderated by being in areas where the mature trees can make a noticeable difference in comfort.

Of course, if the region gets socked with high humidity and extended period of temps in the 90s than even trying to sleep in a gazebo on the lakefront is going to feel like some sweaty excursion to the Amazon...

More than a few folks in older homes that have previously resisted central AC with it need for ductwork have found the "mini-split" systems that can hide the working Freon to a compact air handlers to individual rooms to be great boon to maintaining the charming looks of their homes will adding the humidity reducing benefits of AC...

Panasonic Heating and Air Conditioning (HVAC) Professional Series

Old 04-25-2016, 09:06 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,988,331 times
Can you live without A/C? I think that entirely depends on you. Do you have trouble sleeping if the temperature is 80 degrees+? If not, then sure, you can go without A/C. I have a couple friends who do not have central air in their house. They are just used to the warmer temperatures in the summer.

Personally, I would never opt to go without A/C, but I don't like being hot, especially when I need to sleep.

Old 04-26-2016, 07:38 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,939,362 times
There are very few really hot days in the 90's especially near the lake. I used to live near the lake in my younger years and it never got really hot there. It was sometimes ten degrees cooler by the lake than it is in a place like DuPage county where you will die without air conditioning. By the lake our house had a whole house fan in the attic and it had two large air conditioners built in the wall of the dining room and one bedroom. These items would take care of any warm days where you needed air conditioning. At night when the temperature dropped to seventies or below if you put on the whole house fan it would just cool everything off. On really hot days we would turn on the air conditioning. So you can do without it if necessary.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:47 AM

939 posts, read 2,380,017 times
It's not necessary, but it can be uncomfortable. We did not have AC in our original house in HP. We had a window unit in each bedroom (2) and one in the Living Room. In a small house (1,000 s.f.). We survived with the window units for 9 years. The first few years we only had the bedroom unit. We are in a fairly shaded area, and about .75 miles from the lake.

Old 04-28-2016, 06:28 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,586,016 times
If you only have a fan on, when the weather gets hot enough, your fan will not work. Its either the dew point or the thing that has to do with humidity, when it hits that, you need air conditioning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs