Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you prefer?
Southern Wisconsin(Pleasant Prairie, Kenosha) 13 68.42%
Northern Lake County(Antioch, Old Mill Creek, Wadsworth, Gurnee, Winthrop Harbor) 6 31.58%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 04:05 PM

46 posts, read 66,828 times

Advertisements

Hello!

The living situation up north in Lake County and Southern Wisconsin is an interesting one. Many move to southern WI because it is cheaper, and generally different. However, many still stay south of the state line.

I would like to know which one you prefer. I still prefer LC for many reasons, commute beintg of them, also, schools are a bit more desirable, and, I don't want to look like I'm living in another world to fellow friends. Cost of living? I can drive an extra five minutes to rid of taxes, and for cheaper gas, but otherwise, I like to live in IL.Also, it is a bit more expensive, yes, but not much more, so Im fine.

Post your opinion here!

Last edited by LakeCountyBang; 04-17-2016 at 04:06 PM.. Reason: error
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 06:03 PM

103 posts, read 159,504 times
Job location is a major determining factor. Otherwise, Lake co. is my choice. More educated/affluent, and less white trash! That said, northern Lake is a big step down from mid and southern Lake.

Old 04-17-2016, 06:30 PM

143 posts, read 217,719 times
If I were living on the state border +/- 10 minutes, I would hands-down choose Wisconsin over Illinois. The main reasons being the taxes and politics. Sacrificing 10 minutes is completely worth it IMO to not have to pay the ridiculous taxes or deal with the political corruption of Illinois. These are the same reasons why I live in NW Indiana over, say, New Lenox. I left Illinois in 2003 and I'm glad I left when I did. If Illinois can somehow fix itself, then I would totally consider moving back. But, until then, I'll stay where I am.

Old 04-17-2016, 08:12 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
+1 Illinois is a failed state.

Old 04-17-2016, 09:41 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,082,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zizu View Post
Job location is a major determining factor. Otherwise, Lake co. is my choice. More educated/affluent, and less white trash! That said, northern Lake is a big step down from mid and southern Lake.
Lake County has Zion, Waukegan, North Chicago, and the Round Lakes. Lake Co. has more very undesirable areas. School quality really depends on town comparison, but I guess overall WI would because they're not having major budget cuts like IL. Definitely So. WI is my vote

Old 04-18-2016, 07:33 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,043,759 times
I'd go with extreme southern Wis. vs. Lake County.

Old 04-18-2016, 07:55 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,415,819 times
There might be a power plant somewhere near there (besides the Zion, IL one) in SE WI. You might not want to live too close to it.

Old 04-23-2016, 11:54 AM

46 posts, read 66,828 times
Post What I Got To Say

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4122 View Post
Lake County has Zion, Waukegan, North Chicago, and the Round Lakes. Lake Co. has more very undesirable areas. School quality really depends on town comparison, but I guess overall WI would because they're not having major budget cuts like IL. Definitely So. WI is my vote
Well, that's true. Once you go past Abbott and Libertyville, the true desirable areas, are really only Gurnee/Grayslake, Wadsworth, Lindenhurst and Lake Villa, and then Antioch/Old Mill Creek(NOT CHANNEL LAKE!). Gurnee got its gentrification and Mariano's, and nice new houses, and Grayslake has its share.

Wadsworth, big houses, big lots and middle class areas.

Lake Villa/Lindenhurst also has nice parts next to 45 and next to Antioch.

Antioch got its good parts(mainly Emmons area and everything past Walmart, and Old Mill Creek), and is slowly improving out of its financial crisis, but still nice.

Now, look at all those other places I left out. Round Lake Villages, Fox Lake, Hainesville, Zion, Waukegan, North Chicago-more than the good places I mentioned. The lakeside Villages are older, far, and with bad schools, so that's a big bomber.

On the other side, South Wisconsin, is really only Pleasant Prarie and Downtown Kenosha, and Costco(mainly for the LC citizens).

But, gas, and cost of living, is a lot cheaper in WI.

Old 04-24-2016, 02:18 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,401,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeCountyBang View Post
Hello!

The living situation up north in Lake County and Southern Wisconsin is an interesting one. Many move to southern WI because it is cheaper, and generally different. However, many still stay south of the state line.

I would like to know which one you prefer. I still prefer LC for many reasons, commute beintg of them, also, schools are a bit more desirable, and, I don't want to look like I'm living in another world to fellow friends. Cost of living? I can drive an extra five minutes to rid of taxes, and for cheaper gas, but otherwise, I like to live in IL.Also, it is a bit more expensive, yes, but not much more, so Im fine.

Post your opinion here!
Corrupt Illinois which has a budget standoff and crooks running it, or much less corrupt Wisconsin, with lower taxes, more isolated feel, quieter, and basically the same commute driving into Chicago/area as Lake County.

I feel the answer is obvious to most people.

Old 04-25-2016, 12:25 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,450,103 times
My husband and I are struggling with this decision right now. Still not sure what we're going to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs