Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 07:19 AM

6,703 posts, read 6,396,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
You can move to a lot of different cheaper places but are they really better than living in the Chicago or its suburbs? I've had family re locate to various places and can't help but think they would have been better off staying here...high taxes and all.

One moved to Oklahoma where there are frequent tornadoes and no basements...they have to run to a tiny storm cellar for fear of their lives...
Another to Washingon state where there is a dearth of sunlight....
or to Florida where it is lovely in the winter but hot and humid from April through all of Fall...
or Tenessee. Who wants to live in Tennessee?
Out of those mentioned, Nashville, TN would be my choice. Nashville is growing, has a lot of history, a cool vibe, vibrant economy, low overall taxes and great weather/scenery.

I was talking to a recruiter the other day and he mentioned that he's been seeing a lot of Illinois plates in the Nashville area these days. I wonder why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2016, 10:22 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,875,952 times
Well I would not want to live there. I hate country music and I don't care to live with people from the south that are still fighting the civil war against the Yankees. I'll stay in Chicago with the high taxes.

Old 04-30-2016, 10:53 AM

28,455 posts, read 84,957,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
Well I would not want to live there. I hate country music and I don't care to live with people from the south that are still fighting the civil war against the Yankees. I'll stay in Chicago with the high taxes.
I think you might be surprise at the range of musical offering that are now common in Nashville, due as much to inbound migration as the shifts in what sorts of musical acts are associated with the popular styles.

Further, the relative political leanings of most folks in Tennessee are not really aligned with any historic issues that motivated the Confederacy. https://tennesseeencyclopedia.net/entry.php?rec=265

Old 04-30-2016, 02:37 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,197,799 times
So many 'hipsters' there now, especially in the formerly
sketchy neighborhoods, that country music is far from
the only offering. I drove through Nvlle about a month ago
and was surprised at how a couple of areas had been cleaned
up in about a yr or two.

Old 04-30-2016, 09:12 PM

5,528 posts, read 3,201,891 times
I think Chicago is worth it because of the educational and career options. The economy is becoming winner-take-all and that's hollowing out the middle. Quality education is more important than ever. Trading lower taxes for lower quality education is a strategic error in my book. As others have said, a $200k family income, which is pretty standard for dual earner, upper middle class families, can buy great education here.

Everyone is different, and if you want to be middle class and have your children be middle class, and just be content with that then Chicago is probably unnecessarily expensive. But if you want to be upper middle class or above, and climb the social ladder, then Chicago is a good city. Not the best but it will plug you into the world, rather than a regional, economy.

Chicagoland competition is tough. Lots of people who grow up here and want to stay can't make it work. Growing up here I knew that if I did not succeed in school then I was dead in the water. You can't fall into a low-pressure job here and make it. If you fall into a job you fall out of the region eventually. You need to work constantly to get ahead, and your kids need to run to stand still from an early age.

A lot of parents try to shield their children from these pressures, but one reason I chose to stay here was to expose my children to the competition so they would be globally competitive. I see the move to a lower cost region as a retreat in the face of global competition. It's a losing strategy. I want my kids to have a seat at the table in the future and to do that they need to be sharpened by competition and not shielded.

Old 05-01-2016, 12:43 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,197,799 times
500% what he just said

Cheers

Old 05-01-2016, 12:51 PM

28,455 posts, read 84,957,533 times
Anyone that wrongly assumes there is other than a mindset of competition for clued-in parents across the country is badly out of touch. The false assumption that going to deficient badly under-funded public schools in Chicago will do anything positive for their future success is going to get a rude awakening when their kids are passed over for those that went to schools with a history of excellent preparation for college and efficiently managed finances.

Old 05-01-2016, 01:59 PM

3,469 posts, read 2,138,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
Chicago has such a great education system the teachers are going to strike in 3 weeks, Chicago State University and other colleges are laying off hundreds, and mass school closings 3 years ago with more to come.
That sure is one great education system. Then again Illinous has the worst education funding in America.
Pretty sure this person is referring to Chicago SUBURBS, not the city itself. No one can argue that CPS isn't a mess but many of the suburban schools are great, particularly in the upper middle class areas.

Old 05-01-2016, 06:28 PM

143 posts, read 214,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
Northwest Indiana solves those problems. Its Chicagoland (Actually Closer to the Loop than many Western and Northern Suburbs) taxes are much less with a 1% cap on property taxes and a 7% sales tax vs 10%+ in Chicago. No budget stalemate and all the pain its causing, no red light and speed camera's as Indiana state law forbids them. Finally you don't have to worry about your home becoming worthless due to soaring property taxes like what has happened in the South Suburbs.
Exactly why I live in NW Indiana

Old 05-01-2016, 09:39 PM

197 posts, read 231,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
As others have said, a $200k family income, which is pretty standard for dual earner, upper middle class families, can buy great education here.
You're living in another world entirely if you think 200k is "upper middle class". According to the most recent census, a household earning 200k or more is in the top 5.6% of all households in the country. That is solidly upper class, nothing middle about it, and you can't make sweeping generalizations about the Chicagoland area or Chicago proper when you're speaking to only the top 5%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs