Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2016, 12:30 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,247,845 times

Advertisements

It's one notion to utilize technology to supplement certain types of classroom material and/or subjects, but another entirely to 'blow up the entire battleship' because of the mere existence of bad curriculum, bad teachers and bad administrators.

Perhaps you had a bad experience in public schools which shapes your viewpoints. I can respect that if it's true. However your assertion that public education involving face/classroom time with trained educators somehow magically 'stifles liberty' and leads kids to be dependent on government handouts is at best a large quantity of pachyderm excrement. I suggest getting therapy if this viewpoint is anger based.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usagisan View Post
LOL. My way students can develop at their own natural rate without being restrained by the lack of motivation, talent, or ability of what you would deem their peers. Your way retards natural development and makes our children slaves to an archaic educational model that was designed for the benefit of the teacher and administrators. It does so at the expense of an education for our children that enthralls them and feeds their starving minds. It indoctrinates them into a culture of subservience to Government and stifles the very blood of liberty in their veins.

Obviously we differ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 07:45 PM

366 posts, read 493,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
It's one notion to utilize technology to supplement certain types of classroom material and/or subjects, but another entirely to 'blow up the entire battleship' because of the mere existence of bad curriculum, bad teachers and bad administrators.

Perhaps you had a bad experience in public schools which shapes your viewpoints. I can respect that if it's true. However your assertion that public education involving face/classroom time with trained educators somehow magically 'stifles liberty' and leads kids to be dependent on government handouts is at best a large quantity of pachyderm excrement. I suggest getting therapy if this viewpoint is anger based.
If you use technology, i.e. the delivery is essentially the same, you remove the so called teaching disparity between rich and poor, between wealthy communities and poor communities. You remove one more variable from the equation: the teachers. Moreover no pensions or health-care are required by technology.

Old 06-22-2016, 09:23 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,454,222 times
Quote:
If you use technology, i.e. the delivery is essentially the same, you remove the so called teaching disparity between rich and poor, between wealthy communities and poor communities. You remove one more variable from the equation: the teachers. Moreover no pensions or health-care are required by technology.
The social fabric is so broken down in our poor communities that you need more teacher intervention, not less, probably to the point of boarding schools. The idea of sticking electronic nannies in a school like Fenger, Crane or Farragut is absolutely comical. Their "natural rate," as you put it, is basically to join a gang, sell drugs, and eventually get shot. That has to be disrupted.

Old 06-22-2016, 09:25 AM

605 posts, read 711,311 times
Quote:
LOL. My way students can develop at their own natural rate without being restrained by the lack of motivation, talent, or ability of what you would deem their peers. Your way retards natural development and makes our children slaves to an archaic educational model that was designed for the benefit of the teacher and administrators. It does so at the expense of an education for our children that enthralls them and feeds their starving minds. It indoctrinates them into a culture of subservience to Government and stifles the very blood of liberty in their veins.

Obviously we differ.
<standing up and applauding>

Old 06-22-2016, 09:32 AM

Ah, to live in such a black and white fantasy world. The irony of me saying this is that I have been working providing information, research and technology solutions in academia for over 25 years. You would think by now I would be 'all in' regarding a 'tech fix' for the educational process

I actually agree with you- using technology it is possible to deliver a quality lecture or content to a classroom of socioeconomically disadvantaged students. The bottom line though is, what other support mechanisms are in place at home and at school for these students(?) That's where the rubber hits the road.

That said, this doesn't mean I don't feel the current state of many teachers' pension systems are a problem, many are a hot mess obviously and unsustainable. It's important though not to fault the teachers because of the system we allowed to evolve for so long by staying comfortably numb in the political process. Most people pay little attention to local elections/school board matters/etc. and only throw their hat into the ring when the presidential elections arrive every four years, spare a few choice referendum issues. Very sad to complain so late in the game.

Quote:

Old 06-22-2016, 09:48 AM

605 posts, read 711,311 times
You're never going to properly educate socioeconomically disadvantaged students until the root problem of that issue is solved. School, no matter how great, can force a child to learn, nor can they even do anything about disruptive, unruly children. They are powerless to do anything except suspend them or take them out of the class entirely (but you can't discipline them). Teachers just cannot do much for those children, it is their families and home lives that need to change before any teacher will truly be effective (of course there are individual exceptions here and there, but I'm talking overall).

Most people were self taught years back. Abraham Lincoln was self taught. Single room school houses were the norm, and kids went to school just in the mornings. Humans are quite able to teach themselves if properly motivated and provided with lots of study material. Home schooled children routinely out perform mainstream educated kids. Do you think home school parents stand at the front of the room and "teach" all day long? No, they assign kids stuff to do and the kids mostly work independently.

This notion that only the government can properly teach children is silly and has everyone brainwashed into believing it's the only "real" way to educate.

Old 06-22-2016, 11:07 AM

I don't believe anyone in this thread asserted that only the government can properly teach children. You are the first.

The person I replied to is throwing the baby out with the bathwater- that's the pressing issue.

The 'home schooling' argument you present below can also be considered part of the 'fantasy island' approach to educating the vast majority of students since it's simply not practical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellamouse View Post
You're never going to properly educate socioeconomically disadvantaged students until the root problem of that issue is solved. School, no matter how great, can force a child to learn, nor can they even do anything about disruptive, unruly children. They are powerless to do anything except suspend them or take them out of the class entirely (but you can't discipline them). Teachers just cannot do much for those children, it is their families and home lives that need to change before any teacher will truly be effective (of course there are individual exceptions here and there, but I'm talking overall).

Most people were self taught years back. Abraham Lincoln was self taught. Single room school houses were the norm, and kids went to school just in the mornings. Humans are quite able to teach themselves if properly motivated and provided with lots of study material. Home schooled children routinely out perform mainstream educated kids. Do you think home school parents stand at the front of the room and "teach" all day long? No, they assign kids stuff to do and the kids mostly work independently.

This notion that only the government can properly teach children is silly and has everyone brainwashed into believing it's the only "real" way to educate.

Old 06-22-2016, 11:08 AM

Absolutely(!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
The social fabric is so broken down in our poor communities that you need more teacher intervention, not less, probably to the point of boarding schools. The idea of sticking electronic nannies in a school like Fenger, Crane or Farragut is absolutely comical. Their "natural rate," as you put it, is basically to join a gang, sell drugs, and eventually get shot. That has to be disrupted.

Old 06-22-2016, 07:13 PM

366 posts, read 493,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellamouse View Post

Exactly. In reading this thread the bias of many of the posters is obvious enough.

There is a huge difference in being a teacher and being a social worker. The state accepted mandate is to provide access to an education for children Technology fulfills that requirement and can do it in an extremely low-cost fashion that totally removes the skill of the teacher or facilities from the equation. All the other problems are either social problems or issues with mental retardation and should be addressed as such. The education process should be separate from the social worker aspect. At least then people with appropriate skills can focus on the issue (they can do it in the schools), Teachers should not be used as social workers.

But as I mentioned there is a bias at work. If you actually separate the education process from the social demographic issue you will be forced to face the reality of the situation which works precisely to the teachers and their unions disadvantage.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:03 PM

3,495 posts, read 2,181,809 times
Quote:
The education process should be separate from the social worker aspect.
Why should the educational process and social aspect be completely separated? It's ashame society moves further and further away from positive social interaction in all phases of life. I truly believe this lends to an increase in mental/physcological issues in which people are living in further isolation and lose all connection to what makes us human rather than a bunch of robots. No surprise these mass murderers feel no remorse during the course of their actions, common theme that most of them feel isolated from society in some way. I think we need to promote more collaboration and teamwork rather than further isolation. Just my 2 cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs