Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 10:48 AM

179 posts, read 496,885 times

Advertisements

What is a logistics belt suburb? Bolingbrook?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 12:09 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Yep, and others...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophidian14 View Post
What is a logistics belt suburb? Bolingbrook?

There has been a "building boom" that really does wrap around the area. Places to the southwest, along I-80 have seen quite a bit activity, as has Bolingbrook / Romeoville along I-55. To the west, along I-88, most of the activity has been inside Aurora, along I-90 to the NW the activity is bit more constrained due to the presence of manufacturing like Chrysler out neat Belvidere and retail closer in near Barrington, but there is some new warehousing associated with the commercial developments too. The north, along 94 there is a good bit of activity around Gurnee and across the Wisconsin line in Pleasant Prairie and Kenosha. About the only areas that have not benefited are the areas due south of Chicago...

Old 04-29-2016, 12:46 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,378,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The OP said that her kids are middleschoolers / a bit younger so I am trying to relate to what I have seen from friends that have kids that age -- regardless of whether they live in an area that has traditionally "set the bar" for performance on standardized test of areas that have been more middle-of-the-road (and I will comment on the range of things put schools into that category shifting lately...) ALL the parents have been VERY UNHAPPY with the PARCC assessments and the other tests that increasingly seem to be NEGATIVES to kids regardless of whether they are bright, have special needs or part of the vast (often neglected...) "middle".

So why can't those VERY UNHAPPY parents just keep their kids home on those PARCC test days? Instead, have them read a book, study for classes, etc... Call the school and tell them the child will not be taking the test (nor the make-up test). What are the repercussions? An idle threat?

BTW, my kids have not taken the PARCC test for 2 years, since they and I (and evidently their teachers and counselors) seem to agree it's a waste of time, and we've had no repercussions from this decision. And we're not the only educated parents/kids who refuse to participate in this game (there are others in the neighborhood), which says something about the validity of those test results (and my kids tend to test well).

As a general rule, I try not to subject my children to testing which could potentially hurt them (e.g. by taking time away from important studies, or potentially used to exclude them from resources). I also have removed them from a surprise all-day state test (fine-print "optional") - my kids texted me from school when they were pulled from class for that one.

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 04-29-2016 at 12:58 PM..

Old 04-29-2016, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.lulu View Post
Hi!

I've been voraciously reading the forum and it has been a great source of information. My husband is being transferred from out of state to Naperville. We have three kids in grade school/middle school; all three are currently in pull out gifted programs. We are looking for schools that have that je nes sais quoi... a focus on creativity and not just academics. I'm also wishing for an expansive gifted program. Private school is out of our budget, so we are looking at the public schools. I'd love to find a smaller school zone with a great sense of community. We are looking to be within a 30 minute drive of Naperville. Budget around 325k, which I know is limiting, but I'd be willing to live in a not so great house to get into the right location. I am a bit of a hippy and want my kids to have fun while learning. If I was less of a hippy and made more money I would send them to a Montessori or Reggio Emilia school.

Thanks for the help!
I'm not sure where you're moving from, but "gifted program" can be a highly relative term. Different states, school systems, even individual schools within the same system, can have great variance in how they define, place, and subsequently educate gifted students. It is important to know specific test scores/entry requirements for the various gifted programs you are considering.

Old 04-29-2016, 10:54 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,253,056 times
People that gripe about PARCC testing and have their kids sit out aren't always thinking clearly IMHO. Later on, such tests including AP and ACT/SAT will be administered and required by many students. Further down the road, there will be more college placement tests, LSAT, MCAT, GRE & GMAT to worry about before entering law/medical/graduate/business school. My point is, you can use PARCC testing now as a way to practice taking tests in general that will be not be going away until they are at least 24 or 25 yrs old Missing a few days of face time in class now won't mean much, ultimately. Most good school districts have methods in place for kids to make up the work that may be required, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
So why can't those VERY UNHAPPY parents just keep their kids home on those PARCC test days? Instead, have them read a book, study for classes, etc... Call the school and tell them the child will not be taking the test (nor the make-up test). What are the repercussions? An idle threat?

BTW, my kids have not taken the PARCC test for 2 years, since they and I (and evidently their teachers and counselors) seem to agree it's a waste of time, and we've had no repercussions from this decision. And we're not the only educated parents/kids who refuse to participate in this game (there are others in the neighborhood), which says something about the validity of those test results (and my kids tend to test well).

As a general rule, I try not to subject my children to testing which could potentially hurt them (e.g. by taking time away from important studies, or potentially used to exclude them from resources). I also have removed them from a surprise all-day state test (fine-print "optional") - my kids texted me from school when they were pulled from class for that one.

Old 05-01-2016, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
People that gripe about PARCC testing and have their kids sit out aren't always thinking clearly IMHO. Later on, such tests including AP and ACT/SAT will be administered and required by many students. Further down the road, there will be more college placement tests, LSAT, MCAT, GRE & GMAT to worry about before entering law/medical/graduate/business school. My point is, you can use PARCC testing now as a way to practice taking tests in general that will be not be going away until they are at least 24 or 25 yrs old Missing a few days of face time in class now won't mean much, ultimately. Most good school districts have methods in place for kids to make up the work that may be required, etc.
Disagree.... My kids took the EXPLORE and PSAT tests in elementary and middle school, and unlike the PARCC test, the EXPLORE/PSAT actually prepare students for high school ACT/SAT testing, and beyond. The test results are meaningful for the individual student. IMHO the PARCC test is not meaningful for the student, but for the bureaucracy.

My kids take the tests that matter, and are well-prepared for those particular tests. And PARCC tests certainly do not prepare students for the AP, ACT, SAT, LSAT..... One prepares for the AP tests by taking the AP prep class/supplemental study guides/practice tests, etc. One prepares for the ACT/SAT with practice tests, prep classes, and the EXPLORE/PSAT. The PARCC is irrelevant to theses higher level tests.

On the days the PARCC test was administered, my son was at home studying for his AP class - much better use of his time.

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 05-01-2016 at 08:07 PM..

Old 05-02-2016, 08:43 AM

655 posts, read 1,128,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post

Actually they miss more than a few days of face time in class because the teachers spend up to TWO WEEKS preparing the kids and having them practice for PARCC. Their jobs and the school reputations are on the line. It is the most ridiculous waste of time. Our elementary school spent the equivalent of 6 weeks of school time doing testing this year. PARCC, performance series, COGAT.....enough already!

Sorry, OP......didn't mean to derail your thread.

Old 05-02-2016, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whakru View Post
Actually they miss more than a few days of face time in class because the teachers spend up to TWO WEEKS preparing the kids and having them practice for PARCC. Their jobs and the school reputations are on the line. It is the most ridiculous waste of time. Our elementary school spent the equivalent of 6 weeks of school time doing testing this year. PARCC, performance series, COGAT.....enough already!

Sorry, OP......didn't mean to derail your thread.
Our schools also seem to spend weeks prepping for PARCC/ISAT, including putting together elaborate games/raffles/prizes to encourage kids to attend school those days. Yet, there is barely a word about the tests which are more critical, including EXPLORE, PSAT, COGAT... which serve as gatekeepers to advanced curriculum, as well as helping them prep/set a benchmark for the more important ACT/SATs.

I have to search school websites to find dates when these more important tests are administered, yet the ridiculous PARCC testing is heralded weeks in advance with an onslaught of bright flyers, emails, and cool raffle prizes... Somehow I don't think the students (or taxpayers) best interests are being served here.

Old 05-03-2016, 08:36 AM

196 posts, read 302,807 times
I agree with aga412 about taking a look at Batavia. The Batavia SD101 is not that bad, and by being smaller than some neighboring good districts like Wheaton or Naperville, may be more agile in tailoring individual programs for gifted kids. My daughter went there for early childhood through 1st grade, and we were not particularly pleased with her K-1 experience (early childhood was great, however), but she has special needs and they did not do a good job in that regard. I have many colleagues with kids in Batavia schools and they seem happy with the schools/program, and many of their kids are high performers. And as parents they tend to be involved and assertive about their childrens' education. There is also a Montessori school in Batavia (K-8), but tuition is ~10k$/academic year.

You should be able to find a decent house there in your budget, and the downtown has been improved quite a bit over the last 5-7 years, so it does offer a better "destination" for entertainment, shopping, etc. (though still not as good as Geneva or St. Charles, let alone Naperville). Also I think Batavia is probably going to feel more laid-back and less "stuffy" than Geneva/St. Charles/Naperville/Wheaton, so if you want a more "hippy" environment, Batavia would be a better fit.

The commute to Naperville is not bad - maybe 20 minutes (14 miles) in decent weather (down Rt. 25 or Kirk to Butterfield, then over to Winfield or Naperville Rd, depending where in Naperville you're trying to get to).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs