Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2016, 09:37 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,101,240 times

Advertisements

Just curious if anyone has ever lived in a log house?

It's not my ideal style but I like the area and price. I've heard it's more maintenance in terms of sealing the logs I guess they expand and contract in different whether, Also heard you have to be on top of paining/staining and bugs.

Just curious if its actually a lot of maintenance or not. Any pros or cons in terms of heating and cooling costs? ALso if you wanted to add a window or something is that not possible ie cutting out of the logs ruins the structural integrity?

I thought it seemed odd to see a log cabin in the western suburbs built in the 90s but curious about that type of building method.

1 S045 3rd St, Lombard, IL 60148 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 09:58 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Less about any "special maintenance" I would be concerned about UTILITIES -- solid wood is NOT a good insulator! I have stayed in friends "kit built log homes" in Wisconsin and Michigan and in the winter we generally burn HUGE quantities of wood. In the summer, if there is no breeze from a lake, we either sweat or deal with crummy air conditioning that can't keep up with high humidity...

Old 04-29-2016, 01:09 PM

6 posts, read 11,000 times
I have lived in a log house. It was built European style in Wisconsin with thick insulation. Not round logs, but big square logs. It keeps cold in summer, never warmer than 75 if you dont open the windows and keep the shades closed. Insulation keeps also warm in winter. We used the fireplace for 6-8 hours per day to keep temps up at 67-74. So no bills for heating or cooling. Just sometimes when we didnt care about bills.

Overall it is a luxury that my parents can afford because the worked their whole lifetime. I as millenial will never never never be able to afford such a high standard home. Maybe I get lucky and will get my parents house if they die.

Old 04-29-2016, 06:30 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
There were log cabins in (appropriately) LINCOLNshire. Unfortunately they were in the way of a road project and had to be demolished. Those Lincolnshire log homes are now history -- Daily Herald

Old 04-30-2016, 09:55 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,944,003 times
There are a few I have seen in the western suburbs. This one is contingent so someone has already bought it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
View detailed profiles of: