U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 08:55 AM

4,004 posts, read 5,623,414 times

Advertisements

Hey, used to be very active on this board and been away for a few years. I'm in the process of looking for a home. I found a place i love over near berkshire and grace. I'm not that familiar with lombard so part of me sorta doesn't like it for no other reason than I'm not familiar with it. I do sorta not like how industrial it is over on north avenue but i guess north avenue is kinda dumpy all over. Im not a huge fan of the downtown either but again maybe just because its new to me.

Aside from lombard I'm considering villa park, lisle, and downers grove as well.

I work on the south end of naperville, im self employed so have some flexibility but do go into my office monday through friday. i think lisle or downers would obviously be an easier commute. Im somewhat more familiar with those areas as well which sorta by default makes me lean towards them a little more.

My price point is say up to 350k for a multifamily but more than likely will wind up with a single family anywhere from 150 up to 250. I notice downers taxes seem reasonable lisle seems high. villa park seems high, lombard seems reasonable.

I guess looking for any thoughts or opinions on areas as well as from a resale perspective down the road which would be more desirable to be in. I really like villa park though it is a bit farther, i hear many people say its on the downslide though.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 09:14 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,591,273 times
Downers Grove and Lisle have better schools, so those will probably be better areas for resale.

What do you like about Villa Park? I live next to it (Elmhurst) and there just doesn't seem to be much there. Lombard has a better downtown than Villa Park. What is it you don't like about the downtown? Usually that is a feature not a drawback.

Given the towns you listed, I would personally look at Downers Grove first.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:30 AM

4,004 posts, read 5,623,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
Downers Grove and Lisle have better schools, so those will probably be better areas for resale.

What do you like about Villa Park? I live next to it (Elmhurst) and there just doesn't seem to be much there. Lombard has a better downtown than Villa Park. What is it you don't like about the downtown? Usually that is a feature not a drawback.

Given the towns you listed, I would personally look at Downers Grove first.
I think a large part of it is just that I tend to dislike what is unfamiliar to me. The house in lombard is sorta near north avenue, I think I'd prefer to be closer to roosevelt, closer to yorktown, closer to 88.

As far as Villa Park, I totally get how that may seem like an oddball as they dont really have a downtown and some of my complaints about lombard being industrial are the same with villa park. I have some friends in villa park so am more familiar with the area so maybe that's why I like it. That said I know the schools are kinda meh, not bad but not great, also for the high taxes doesn't seem like you get that much in the way of parks, libraries, city services, etc.

As far as lombard, there downtown isn't bad but its no downtown naperville or downers grove.

I know many people dont think lombard is as nice as say downers or glen ellyn and others since its more blue collar and downtown maybe isn't as nice but would you say its getting nicer or getting worse?

I think one of the things that attracted me to villa park is there's a good amount of multifamily properties at reasonable price points, something other cities I've mentioned either dont have or if they do are double the price.

Old 04-29-2016, 10:12 AM

28,460 posts, read 80,784,868 times
Villa Park has much less retail and office development than Lombard and that makes the taxes quite a bit higher. The core of Lombard shows signs of improving -- the modern rail underpass is a big improvement over the creepy, drippy, dark passageway.

The pressure from escalating prices in Glen Ellyn is probably helping to get some folks to take a closer look at Lombard. Though the school performance remains a differentiation there is also a fairly long history of Glen Ellyn being a bit more of a "carriage trade" kind of town along the UP-W compared to both Lombard and Villa Park having a more "working person" constituency.

The tiny sliver of Villa Park that is served by York High School is also very close to Salt Creek so that tends to tamp down appeal for that area. The other factor that makes folks choose either Elmhurst proper or the unincorporated areas on its fringes over Villa Park is the dramatic way Rt 83 slices off things to the west. Of course the even more dramatic "wall" that cuts off Elmhurst from towns in Cook Co via 294 traces back to truly ancient power bases that once ruled DuPage Co and have largely faded into history except for us older folks -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Hyde also http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1...le/perspective

Old 04-29-2016, 10:26 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,140,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
Hey, used to be very active on this board and been away for a few years. I'm in the process of looking for a home. I found a place i love over near berkshire and grace. I'm not that familiar with lombard so part of me sorta doesn't like it for no other reason than I'm not familiar with it. I do sorta not like how industrial it is over on north avenue but i guess north avenue is kinda dumpy all over. Im not a huge fan of the downtown either but again maybe just because its new to me.

Aside from lombard I'm considering villa park, lisle, and downers grove as well.

I work on the south end of naperville, im self employed so have some flexibility but do go into my office monday through friday. i think lisle or downers would obviously be an easier commute. Im somewhat more familiar with those areas as well which sorta by default makes me lean towards them a little more.

My price point is say up to 350k for a multifamily but more than likely will wind up with a single family anywhere from 150 up to 250. I notice downers taxes seem reasonable lisle seems high. villa park seems high, lombard seems reasonable.

I guess looking for any thoughts or opinions on areas as well as from a resale perspective down the road which would be more desirable to be in. I really like villa park though it is a bit farther, i hear many people say its on the downslide though.
Downers Grove: Different league than the other towns. Not likely you'll find something livable for <$250k. Maybe something wonky on the south side of town, but there's a lot less to love about that area than the more traditional north side.

Villa Park: No central business district, poor-performing schools, and home values that are still down 20% from 2007 levels should give any shopper serious pause. Unattractive thoroughfares. Higher taxes. Commute to south Nape (how far south?) less than ideal. Stick to small portion of east side served by York HS in Elmhurst, or small portion of west side served by Lombard elementary schools.

Lombard: Large-ish but still underutilized central business district. Surprisingly good schools at the elementary level, but BIG drop-off middle and high school. Home price recovery has lagged neighbors to the west and south where desirability is higher. If you have young kids it might be a good foot in the door at ~$200k, but I wouldn't spend more or plan long term until there's a definite shift in trajectory.

Lisle: Small-ish and underutilized central business district that leaves much to be desired. Best option for commute to south Nape. A bit underdeveloped, many vacant lots, but may help prices down the road as they slowly "fill in" with newer homes. Large corporate campuses on the north side of town keep taxes in check. Lisle 202 schools are generally "above average" but the much better performing Nape 203 serves the west end of town and would likely be a better investment. Ditto for small sliver of southeast addresses that attend Downers North high school.

Recommend investigating Warrenville and Batavia as well, both with prices most similar to Lisle and an equally easy commute into Naperville. Both lack transit access, a major hindrance, but enjoy excellent schools and prime I-88 proximity. Warrenville taxes average quite a bit lower than Batavia.

Last edited by holl1ngsworth; 04-29-2016 at 11:29 AM..

Old 04-29-2016, 04:41 PM

18 posts, read 18,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post

Lombard: Large-ish but still underutilized central business district. Surprisingly good schools at the elementary level, but BIG drop-off middle and high school. Home price recovery has lagged neighbors to the west and south where desirability is higher. If you have young kids it might be a good foot in the door at ~$200k, but I wouldn't spend more or plan long term until there's a definite shift in trajectory.
i live in Lombard and disagree with the dude above's opinion of a BIG (capital letters) drop-off at middle school level. My kid is doing great at Glenn Westlake. Seems to be strong in tech as they give everybody an iPad, and she seems challenged and is doing well in math, science and language arts. Maybe the demographics drag the PARCC scores down but who cares? I think Lombard is a great value and there are some cool neighborhoods near the train station with nice older houses and a good mix of young families and older folks.

Old 04-29-2016, 06:25 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,867,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streptococcus View Post
i live in Lombard and disagree with the dude above's opinion of a BIG (capital letters) drop-off at middle school level. My kid is doing great at Glenn Westlake. Seems to be strong in tech as they give everybody an iPad, and she seems challenged and is doing well in math, science and language arts. Maybe the demographics drag the PARCC scores down but who cares? I think Lombard is a great value and there are some cool neighborhoods near the train station with nice older houses and a good mix of young families and older folks.
I don't live in Lombard but I totally agree with you that the "huge drop" people claim the middle school and Glenbard East have in quality is exaggerated. Glenbard East HS is part of the if the Glenbard HS school district which is highly regarded. The only thing that makes the test scores lower (which in reality are just average not poor at all) is the difference in demographics.

Old 04-29-2016, 06:31 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,867,993 times
Also consider Darien too. Cross off Villa Park and just focus on Lombard, Lisle, Downers Grove, Warrenville, Batavia, and add Darien also. I would try to be as close to work as possible while not sacrificing too much of your budget. Lisle and Warrenville should be your top options.

Old 04-29-2016, 07:19 PM

18 posts, read 18,582 times
To the original poster, re: the house on Grace St.
If schools are important to you watch which side of Grace you are on as that is the dividing line through much of Lombard between dist 44 and 45. Not saying one is "better" than the other but just to be aware.

Old 04-30-2016, 07:17 AM

28,460 posts, read 80,784,868 times
Default Funny that you single out Villa Park...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4122 View Post
Also consider Darien too. Cross off Villa Park and just focus on Lombard, Lisle, Downers Grove, Warrenville, Batavia, and add Darien also. I would try to be as close to work as possible while not sacrificing too much of your budget. Lisle and Warrenville should be your top options.
The relative difference in performance of non-economically disadvantaged students served by Willow Brook HS is Villa Park is essentially the same as the performance of students at Glenbard East, Lisle or other high schools...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs