Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2016, 12:03 PM

4 posts, read 6,001 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My child is currently being tested for the self-contained gifted program in the Barrington 220 school district. I've heard mixed reviews - the curriculum is outstanding, however the facilities are not (all three grades housed in one classroom) and that many of the children have social challenges. I'm not sure if this is all accurate information and am just trying to see what the best placement is for my child - extended classes at his home school or the self-contained class.

I've seen some old threads on this but most of them are older. Recent information would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 12:09 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,326,011 times
Why not ask the school first?

It would be rather unusual for the school to say you must accept things that you describe. In Illinois services for high ability students are offered at the discretion of the local school / district and parents are generally pleased to receive whatever OPTIONAL services make sense for their child...

Old 05-04-2016, 12:17 PM

Thanks for your post. I have asked the school, which is where I got information about the curriculum and classroom. The school/district has amazing things to say, but I wouldn't expect anything different. I was just hoping to some parent perspectives.

Thanks!

Old 05-04-2016, 12:56 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,247,154 times
Default Also try reaching out to their PTO

The PTO of many suburban schools can be a useful and underutilized resource sometimes. They can let you network with current parents in the GT programs. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia2016 View Post
I was just hoping to some parent perspectives.

Thanks!

Old 05-04-2016, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
The PTO of many suburban schools can be a useful and underutilized resource sometimes. They can let you network with current parents in the GT programs. Good luck.
Thanks for your help!

Old 05-05-2016, 08:44 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,372,098 times
The self-contained program and pull-out programs all feed into the exact same middle school course track (gifted/extended courses in reading/language, math, science, history, art) and subsequently advanced HS track. I see little difference in academic achievement outcomes between those in the self-contained vs. the pull-out programs, and I have looked very closely at this issue as my child was accepted into the self-contained program but we chose the pull-out program instead. In fact, my MS son who was not in the self-contained program just received the highest district MAP math score for his grade (and his MS math class contains kids coming from both programs). I have 3 kids in the 220 gifted program (in every gifted pull-out, except Art) and am in both the PTO and Barr. Gifted Council - www.bcgt.org. Feel free to PM me if you have more specific ?'s about curriculum, etc.

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 05-05-2016 at 08:59 AM..

Old 05-05-2016, 11:15 AM

Thanks! Sent you a message!

Old 05-06-2016, 09:39 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,372,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia2016 View Post
Thanks! Sent you a message!
Sent you a response!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs