Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 11:57 AM

84 posts, read 98,375 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

The house hunt continues with our focus zeroed in on Naperville. We have a 4 year old and 15 month old, so for the next couple of years, elementary and middle schools will be very important for us. What we want to know is what are considered the top elementary schools in Naperville 203/204? We often hear of schools such as Meadow Glens, Ranch View, Fry, etc. but we'd really like your opinion, especially parents of kids who currently attend Naperville elementary schools or have in the past. Your advice and feedback are very important and helpful for us choosing where to buy in Naperville, so thanks much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 01:20 PM

655 posts, read 1,127,887 times
I think that you need to decide which high school you want to end up in first. Then you can focus on the schools that feed into it.

I live in Naperville and we are in 203. I know friends that have kids in Steeple Run, Ranchview, Meadow Glens, Maplebrook, Kingsley and Elmwood. Frankly they are all pretty similar in terms of the education. In fact, the teachers and admins tend to move around the schools somewhat. You'll find that the administration at the schools is often someone that came from another 203 grade school.

I don't often hear people ranking the elementary schools as much as I do the middle and high schools. We have loved our elementary school and the education that my children have received so far. That's why I think that focus should really be on where you want to live, commute to work, budget within the high school boundries that you really want.

Here is the link to the Illinois Interactive Report Card website. You can compare schools here:

http://www.illinoisreportcard.com/

Last edited by whakru; 05-17-2016 at 01:52 PM.. Reason: added link

Old 05-17-2016, 03:49 PM

Thanks for the response, my job has an office in Naperville, so anywhere in Naperville is OK. I think Naperville North and Central and nequa are pretty highly ranked. What middle schools would you recommend?

Old 05-17-2016, 04:27 PM

2,191 posts, read 1,847,019 times
All the schools are excellent. It's like asking which gourmet steak to eat.

Just pick where you live based on the neighborhood feel you like, and the house itself. Concern yourself not with cherry picking the schools. You can't go wrong.

I say this as someone whose kids went through middle and high schools in Naperville that would probably be on the lower end of some people's perceived lists. Student services and education are outstanding at all of them. All have great teachers, tons of AP courses, etc.

I will say this - if you want Neuqua, you will have the most robust clubs, teams, etc. because it's a much larger HS than the others. That said, only 5 kids start on the basketball team, if you get my drift. It's much harder to make varsity, get minutes on the court, or make first chair, or the show choir, etc, etc, when your school is 25-35% bigger than the others and full of very high achievers. The place is like a college.

District 203 is older and tends to have more mid-sized homes but there are plenty of "richer" people there. Less "poorer" folks. Both high schools are terrific but I think Central is considered better than North. Central is right next to downtown Naperville in a very neat area.

District 204 is a bit bigger, newer, and has tons of subdivisions with huge houses like Tall Grass, White Eagle, etc. But it also pulls from some underprivileged areas, so you get the full gamut. I think it's great because it's so diverse, yet the schools are excellent (Neuqua, Waubonsie and Metea).

Neuqua is new since 1997 or so.

Metea is even newer, went up about 6-8 years ago in a very nice facility way on the edge of Naperville. Despite that, it's probably my least favorite of all the high schools. I say that from experience seeing the attitudes, how they behave at sporting events, etc.

Waubonsie is called "the Original Valley" and has been around since the 70s. It's also knows as the Heart and Soul of District 204. Not a new shiny school, but not so old that it's run down.

If I were moving to Naperville brand new and I wanted to target high schools I would lean toward Naperville Central, then Waubonsie Valley, then Neuqua or Naperville North, then Metea last.

But I'm biased

Old 05-18-2016, 07:58 AM

97 posts, read 144,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
If I were moving to Naperville brand new and I wanted to target high schools I would lean toward Naperville Central, then Waubonsie Valley, then Neuqua or Naperville North, then Metea last.
I agree with just about everything you wrote, though I am not so sure about the HS rankings you gave.

Find Illinois High Schools | US News Best High Schools

Per US News, Nequa, Central, North, and Matea are all within a few places of one another, and Waubonsie is a bit further down the list. I'm not sure that this is the most scientific source but it does line up with what I've anecdotally heard.

Regardless, I do agree that the OP would be best served by finding the house/neighborhood that best appeals to them and going from there.

Old 05-18-2016, 08:19 AM

I would have to agree that Waubonsie does not get ranked ahead of Nequa or North. Not that it is a bad school or anything.....but the others definitely have an edge.

Old 05-18-2016, 09:15 AM

Thanks for the responses, we are definitely leaning towards Nequa, North and Central, but high school is still almost 10 years away, so we don't know what our situation will be in 10 years so our focus at the moment is elementary and middle schools. Are there any in particular that stand out?

Old 05-18-2016, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagodesi View Post
Thanks for the responses, we are definitely leaning towards Nequa, North and Central, but high school is still almost 10 years away, so we don't know what our situation will be in 10 years so our focus at the moment is elementary and middle schools. Are there any in particular that stand out?
If I was forced to rank the middle schools in 203 it would be:

Madison/Kennedy
Lincoln/Jefferson
Washington

Here is a comparison of the top four:

Compare Snapshot

Note that Kennedy has the honors program students so that may contribute to the high numbers. Also, Kennedy does split between North and Central though....so if you have a preference then you need to be sure you are in the right boundary.

But honestly.......they are all GREAT schools! And, a lot of it has to do with parental involvement. With all of D203, when you reach middle school there is an app for your phone that shows the students grades, attendance, assignments, etc. I review with my daughter on a regular basis and we stay on top of things. She is required to look at it and make sure that she addresses any issues like missing assignments or low test scores (some classes allow for retakes on low scores).

As far as the grade schools, again they are all great schools. The only one that I have ever been discouraged from was Mill Street. There are a lot of rental communities in that area so there are a lot of transitional students and that school was one of the ones that was overcrowded. But you can go on the Illinois Report Card site and compare grade schools there too.

Hope that this helps. Good luck with your search!

Old 05-19-2016, 01:15 PM

2,191 posts, read 1,847,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whakru View Post
I would have to agree that Waubonsie does not get ranked ahead of Nequa or North. Not that it is a bad school or anything.....but the others definitely have an edge.
Not arguing with the rankings, but I will say they are not based on the quality of the schools, but rather on test scores which are a product of the "clientele" in the neighborhoods the school serves. The "edge" has nothing to do with the school.

The mistake people make is looking at these things and thinking it's a reflection on how well the school is run or the quality of the education.

My list was based on what school I'd most like to see my kids attend, stripping out test scores and focusing on experiences and observations.

Neuqua is great if you are a standout student or athlete, and have the financial chops to keep up with your kids' friends proclivities. If not, it's easier to get lost in the crowd or feel insecure.

I have not seen that in any of the other high schools in the area.

Waubonsie is ranked lower only due to the fact that it pulls a portion of its students from some poorer areas of Aurora, to go along with the other wealthier places. Many people prefer its diversity. Others do not. Test scores notwithstanding.

Full disclosure, my kids all went/go to Owen/Still/Waubonsie - most of us parents at Waubonsie are very glad our kids don't go to Neuqua. Just giving you an insider viewpoint that goes beyond the lists.

That said, I would have preferred Naperville Central. But none of the others.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:23 AM

Great advice from everyone! The trend seems to be that almost any elementary school in Naperville will be almost equally as good, and as far as high school goes, it seems to be Central, Nequa and North as the front runners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs