Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 04:20 PM

138 posts, read 112,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I specifically indicated that I thought that was low. The point, again, was that it was not a majority, which is what you insisted.
Just stop with your endless "oy veying" in this thread. I'm Jewish and I've been active in the North Suburban Jewish community before, but who cares if others don't want that? Jewish communities and suburbs certainly do have a unique feel, which is not for everyone.

In short, give it a rest, we already run media, finance and academia. Don't get stereotypically greedy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 05:45 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,718,917 times
I'm just amazed to see it specifically stated. Between this and a recent thread in the Boston forum where someone posted looking only for white areas. Bad enough to be seeking it, but to outright state it without shame is surprising to me. I suppose it should not be. OP would probably be happiest in the western or southwestern suburbs, but that commute to Deerfield would be terrible. If she goes further north and further west, she'll find more of what she might want. She'd probably really like Barrington, but that's a tad far from Deerfield, although I suppose it's do-able.

Old 05-23-2016, 06:03 PM

138 posts, read 112,083 times
Quote:
I'm just amazed to see it specifically stated. Between this and a recent thread in the Boston forum where someone posted looking only for white areas. Bad enough to be seeking it, but to outright state it without shame is surprising to me.
Lol, why is this so surprising, or even shameful? At least we finally get past the fake pretense of "good schools" and "quiet neighborhoods" when people really mean "I'd be most comfortable around people who mostly look like me who are also of a similar socioeconomic class and have similar social values." It's legitimately the most natural inclination ever. Btw, this kind of reasoning literally defines Israel (which I am fine with), although American Jews who support the "Borders for Me" (Israel) but "None for Thee!" (America) mantra legit drive me up a wall with their hypocrisy.

Would you say the same thing if a Jewish family was looking for a Jewish community? I'd guess no, so let others be.

Old 05-23-2016, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EffortPoaster View Post
Lol, why is this so surprising, or even shameful? At least we finally get past the fake pretense of "good schools" and "quiet neighborhoods" when people really mean "I'd be most comfortable around people who mostly look like me who are also of a similar socioeconomic class and have similar social values." It's legitimately the most natural inclination ever. Btw, this kind of reasoning literally defines Israel (which I am fine with), although American Jews who support the "Borders for Me" (Israel) but "None for Thee!" (America) mantra legit drive me up a wall with their hypocrisy.

Would you say the same thing if a Jewish family was looking for a Jewish community? I'd guess no, so let others be.
I don't want to have to get into a huge back and forth, but it is not at all the same when a minority ethnic group or religious group seeks others, versus when the dominant racial or religious group seeks not just others like them, but such a majority that any minorities are virtually nonexistent in the location.

Old 05-23-2016, 07:32 PM

7 posts, read 23,563 times
Thanks to all for your thoughts, feedback, and comments. There is no "easy" or "correct" way to ask such questions, realtors will never truly and honestly answer them (nor are they probably allowed to), and online statistics will rarely show them. It's just so difficult trying to choose the perfect community fit for one's family from so far away, knowing nothing about an area except from what you learn through online research and a weekend visit. If only we had more time to do so, but I am planning another weekend visit during which we hope to make some decisions. Somehow, and from what I'm learning about these north shore towns and suburbs, I don't think we can really go wrong with any of them.

I truly appreciate both the honesty of so many members on this site, and just the time you all spend trying to help a complete stranger!

Old 05-23-2016, 09:14 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,326,602 times
Quote:
I don't want to have to get into a huge back and forth, but it is not at all the same when a minority ethnic group or religious group seeks others, versus when the dominant racial or religious group seeks not just others like them, but such a majority that any minorities are virtually nonexistent in the location.
I don't see how it's different. Are you saying that a Jewish person in Chicagoland is "allowed" to seek a Jewish area, but they're "bad" if they do the same in the NYC area? And if they want a Jewish area in Israel, they're downright horrible?

Birds of a feather flock together. Nothing wrong with this. Jews, Christians, blacks, whites, gays, whomever, usually wish to live around people similar to them. It doesn't seem relevant to me whether the "birds flocking together" are small groups, large groups, or utterly dominant groups.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I don't see how it's different. Are you saying that a Jewish person in Chicagoland is "allowed" to seek a Jewish area, but they're "bad" if they do the same in the NYC area? And if they want a Jewish area in Israel, they're downright horrible?

Birds of a feather flock together. Nothing wrong with this. Jews, Christians, blacks, whites, gays, whomever, usually wish to live around people similar to them. It doesn't seem relevant to me whether the "birds flocking together" are small groups, large groups, or utterly dominant groups.
No, not at all, and I'm not sure how you arrived at that interpretation.

I'm surprised you don't see the difference between a majority wanting to exclude a minority and a minority wanting to have access to certain services/amenities, and to have adult mirrors/mentors for children, etc. There is a difference between the majority and a minority, and there exists oppression - you can easily find information on this.

Christians are simply not an oppressed or underrepresented minority in this country. Neither are white people. Or straight people.

Old 05-23-2016, 10:27 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,082,003 times
Back to the OP's question... If you're worried about wealth and whatnot, Lake Forest, Northbrook, and Deerfield are not the places for you. The North Shore is the wealthiest area of the Chicago area (especially Lake Forest) and they're all very homogeneous communities. I wouldn't worry about being a Christian in a Jewish community. people from where I live (Highland Park, so roght around where you're looking) don't judge others for not being Jewish.

Personally, I prefer Glenview over Northbrook. I feel as if Glenview has more character and just has more going on in general. The neighborhoods are pretty and don't look the same whereas on Northbrook, a lot if areas look the same. Glenview also has downtown Glenview and the Glen. Northbrook is more preferable by others because schools are ranked better. This is only because Northbrook is less diverse. Glenview is a great community and the schools are higly regarded.

Here are the towns you should consider:
-Highland Park
-Glenview
-Mount Prospect
-Prospect Heights
-Arlington Heights
With MP, PH, and AH, Prospect HS and Hersey HS are the best high schools in the district. Your money will go further in these areas, but resale value will still be good.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:30 AM

939 posts, read 2,378,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
Majority? Nope. Can you notice it? Sure. Mostly secular in the burbs though, regardless of the fact that Jewel happens to have a really nice Kosher deli. Keep in mind that in the next sport over the situation might be flip flopped- been there, done that
Let's just agree to disagree on this one, with the agreement that there do not seem to be many Hasidic Jews around. Plenty of conservatives though.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:33 AM

939 posts, read 2,378,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
Thank you thank you thank you Paige65 for clarifying this. chicagoliz seemed to be under the impression that Northbrook (which has almost as high a % of Jews as Highland Park) only had a 1.1% Jewish population. This would be laughably small, and probably about what you'd expect up in Libertyville or Grayslake. Northbrook's marketshare of Jews in Chicagoland is probably almost as high or on par with Highland Park IMO. The biggest difference really is that Northbrook has a lot more Asians & Indians than Highland Park generally speaking.

I know that when I worked retail at a drug store in the Ravinia section of Highland Park maybe some 13 or 14 years back, the vast majority of our customers were Jewish. Not a knock on them whatsoever. Who can blame them when it's a beautiful, desirable place to live just like most of the other North Shore suburbs.
That's my Walgreens, 847! Unless you worked for the lone pharmacist shop across the street (that's now out of business).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs