Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 01:52 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,936,800 times

Advertisements

Oddly there is not much crime in Oak Park, considering it borders Austin. I would have no problem living there but I admit I would not get a place near Austin avenue if I were looking. I have studied the crime statistics weekly from this area because I find myself over there quite a bit and its a mystery to me why there is not more crime spillover but you can look at spot crime yourself and see the clusters of crime east of Austin avenue with nothing in the neighboring suburbs of Oak Park, Cicero and Berwyn. I do know that Berwyn has a strong neighborhood watch program and people will call the police if they see someone walking down the alley peering into yards. Theft of things from yards and car and garage break ins are the biggest crimes there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 03:43 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,082,892 times
Evanston does have some bad areas: by the Chicago border and by the high school. Other than that, Evanston would be a great place for you. Same with Oak Park. You could also look at Skokie too. It's cheaper than Evanston and Oak Park. It's right next to Evanston, so it's not far for nightlife. the el runs through Skokie so you can be in downtown Chicago very quickly.

Old 06-06-2016, 04:20 PM

155 posts, read 212,821 times
I would look at highland park, glenvie.

Old 06-06-2016, 05:07 PM

768 posts, read 1,103,190 times
Ha, Highland park is a ghost town after 8pm on saturdays... Evanston would really be my only choice in north shore at 23/26...

Last edited by JJski; 06-06-2016 at 05:50 PM..

Old 06-06-2016, 07:53 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,455,878 times
Oak Park is a bit older but very couple-centric. The OP is definitely younger than the average there but they may enjoy it. A lot of places to go out to eat and drink and there's always Forest Park's Madison Street right nearby which is pretty young. Not to mention you're right by the Green and Blue Line and 20 minutes from the Loop. I'd be reluctant to recommend Oak Park to a 23 year old single but for a young couple, it would be ok.

Then there's Forest Park itself. Same benefits, less money. Schools are not good with that shouldn't be an issue here. If I was going to live in Forest Park I would try to keep it near Madison Street or near the Green Line (where you effectively border Oak Park).

Evanston would be pretty good because of the college. The downtown area is very nice and there's a lot to do. Those are really the only suburbs I can think of that this couple would enjoy.

Naperville has a great downtown but there are a lot of young families there. A young childless couple would feel like the odd person out there. And you're pretty isolated as to what you can do outside of Naperville. I'd say the same about La Grange except you're a little bit closer to the city, but not as close as in Oak Park or Evanston so why bother?

Old 06-07-2016, 09:06 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,249,331 times
Yes, it is At that age I would agree- Evanston for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJski View Post
Ha, Highland park is a ghost town after 8pm on saturdays... Evanston would really be my only choice in north shore at 23/26...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs