Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 08:09 AM

62 posts, read 80,971 times

Advertisements

Ok, gotta admit, I am bumming a little about an upcoming relo to the Chicago area due to the budget fiasco going on. Trying to be zen about it all and not stress about my kids and school (have LDs). So, trying to adjust the energy here and asking people to post what they LOVE about living in the area!

• For me, I am happy to return to the Midwest after being out east for a few years. Even in the Chicago area, I find there is a Midwestern hospitality/friendliness that is lacking in the mid-atlantic region.
  • I won't have to worry about a snow day being called for less than an inch of snow!
  • Access to world-class museums/culture. Hellva lot better than living in .....Ohio. Or Nebraska. Or New Mexico. Or Kansas.
  • Even with the cr*p that is happening, the burbs still have some great public schools that are nationally ranked.
  • THIS IS THE YEAR FOR THE CUBBIES!
  • Portillos. Rosebud (Sorry, I always loved them...it has been years, though).
  • Chicago in the summer is still pretty $%^& great.

Anyone else? Bueller? Bueller? Don't be a jerk and put a lot of negative, snobbish, put-down responses. If you don't like it, just kindly move along. Trying to psych myself up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 08:13 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,478,550 times
Greatest pizza on Earth.

Who needs the ocean when you have Lake Michigan? Plus, no sharks, jelly fish, etc.

Some of the greatest architecture on Earth.

Real people that have lived there for generations.

Home of Bueller!

Old 06-07-2016, 08:14 AM

62 posts, read 80,971 times
Yes! Freaking sharks!!!

Old 06-07-2016, 08:26 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,359,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVA2016 View Post
Ok, gotta admit, I am bumming a little about an upcoming relo to the Chicago area due to the budget fiasco going on. Trying to be zen about it all and not stress about my kids and school (have LDs). So, trying to adjust the energy here and asking people to post what they LOVE about living in the area!

• For me, I am happy to return to the Midwest after being out east for a few years. Even in the Chicago area, I find there is a Midwestern hospitality/friendliness that is lacking in the mid-atlantic region.
  • I won't have to worry about a snow day being called for less than an inch of snow!
  • Access to world-class museums/culture. Hellva lot better than living in .....Ohio. Or Nebraska. Or New Mexico. Or Kansas.
  • Even with the cr*p that is happening, the burbs still have some great public schools that are nationally ranked.
  • THIS IS THE YEAR FOR THE CUBBIES!
  • Portillos. Rosebud (Sorry, I always loved them...it has been years, though).
  • Chicago in the summer is still pretty $%^& great.

Anyone else? Bueller? Bueller? Don't be a jerk and put a lot of negative, snobbish, put-down responses. If you don't like it, just kindly move along. Trying to psych myself up.
Cubs, Sox Bears and Blackhawks, home of real sports fans and of course, Wrigley Field, perfect on a Bueller day!

Beautiful skyline, beautiful city

World class shopping

200 plus suburbs which cater to any type of personality you have, or multiple personalities if you have those.

Beautiful suburbs with great schools, with an educated population

Ten other million people who deal with weather, good or bad, as you do.

The el, which weaves between architecturally beautiful buildings in the loop.

Lake Shore Drive, one of the prettiest drives in America.

Michigan Ave, one of the grandest streets in America.

The beach in the summer, and the forest preserves.

Northwestern, DePaul, U of C Loyola

Awesome food.

Vibrant city full of people.

Old 06-07-2016, 09:57 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,080,512 times
Food!!!

It's also great for photographers during all the seasons.

Old 06-07-2016, 10:26 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,333,568 times
Positives?

-Big sports town.

-Not terribly expensive real estate.

-Most "big city" environment between the coasts

-Best cultural amenities between the coasts

-You're in the middle of the country, and can access most places by direct flight

Old 06-07-2016, 11:16 AM

258 posts, read 347,456 times
Food, food, and food. Chicago has an extremely good selection of restaurants. You want a 1,2,3 Michelin star restaurant? There are tons of options. You want farm to table? You want authentic international food? Just go to the part of the town where that community lives and you will likely find some really authentic and reasonably priced options - and that too where the locals eat - not some pretentious "international cuisine" restaurant. You want to eat really good food for really affordable prices? You want good bbq? You want smoked fish? Good fried chicken? Really good hot dogs or Italian beef? Heck, good popcorn? It is all there.

And because I love Mexican food (and Rogers Park restaurants!) - Rick Bayless! Most of his restaurants are in Chicago. And he is undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to Mexican food. And what's really impressive is that his restaurants also reflect his passion for Mexican food. The food at Frontera Grill or Frontera Fresco for example is as good or better than even most authentic Mexican restaurants.

Old 06-07-2016, 01:50 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
Lots of hotels targeting couples looking for a sophisticated getaway -- Chicago: Romantic Hotels in Chicago, IL: Romantic Hotel Reviews: 10Best

Old 06-07-2016, 03:13 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,169,985 times
Great built environment ("beat" only by NYC IMHO, although Chicago is more manageable due to its smaller size)
Usable public transit (although ample room for improvement)
"Affordable" rents/RE prices
Summertime Chi
Amazing public parks, squares, fitness facilities, and libraries
Food
Shopping
Nightlife
Lake Michigan
O'Hare will take you anywhere
Amazing culture
Unique history

There are seriously so many things GOING for Chicago. It's easy to get lost in all the negative headlines, but this is undoubtedly one of the greatest places in the U.S. and many of the people who live here are proud of the City.

Old 06-07-2016, 04:06 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,478,550 times
Even the Bees dig Chicago!

Swarm of Bees Takes Over Downtown Light Pole, Bikes | NBC Chicago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs