Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2016, 11:33 PM

40 posts, read 96,609 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I hope that you all are well and in the best of health.

As a resident living in Lake County for the last 10 years, and interacting with different people from Chicagoland, I feel that most of it is very underrated or unknown to people living outside, if you will
as compared with other counties such as Dupage, Cook and I guess others. Has anyone else ever felt this?

For those who are fellow residents, do you all think that there is anything Unique about our county or characteristics which makes it standout or seem different from other chicagoland counties? I guess a "ways to know that you're from lake county"?

I recently read a blog or article which had a list which I thought was accurate lol.
25 Ways You Know You're From Lake County IL

Anyways I also think its good, and it gives a sense of county pride if you will. Makes us different from the others.

I don't want to sound dumb or anything while saying this but I kind of think of it as a Staten Island version of Chicagoland, obviously were not an Island and don't have bridges nor are we part of the city of Chicago but the whole Wisconsin being close and some other characteristics. Idk.

What do you guys think? Feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. I guess I am just looking for some things which would give me more of a sense of pride for where I live lol.

BR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 08:48 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Some of the towns in Lake County that were once predominately for "vacationers" do have a bit different feel than the areas that have always been more or less for "commuters". Things like some marinas and such on the Chain O' Lakes where kids can still hang and water ski all summer long, or little bars that used to have more folks pull up on sno-mos than cars in winter are getting rarer as generic tract built subdivisions replace the little hodge podge that used to be Lake Co...

There are still a handful of very affluent land owners who back their preferred politicians but that too is changing as folks get older and /or move to areas with better business climate. There is not much chance on any growth of real "middle class" and places like Waukegan & Zion are sharply contrasted with the affluent areas along Lake Michigan, doesn't really matter if you call this income inequality or political dysfunction, the difference between "haves and have nots" is jarring...

Old 06-10-2016, 08:54 AM

451 posts, read 465,270 times
Lake County, Kenosha, and Lake Geneva are really a border zone between Illinois and Wisconsin. Racine also gets a touch of influence from Illinois/Chicago. The north shore neighborhoods, Highwood, Lake Forrest, etc. are very pleasant, and not a bad off-traffic commute from downtown Chicago. I was born in the Chicago west suburbs but raised in Racine and I was familiar with a lot of the terms in the "you know you're from Lake Co." article.

Old 06-10-2016, 05:58 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,901,622 times
...you know where the Lake County Fairgrounds, Forest Preserve HQ, and the Discovery Museum (soon to be colocated with the HQ) are.
...you have ever been on the Amstutz Expressway.
...the existence of two train stations in Lake Forest on different lines and miles apart, both called "Lake Forest," seems perfectly normal.
...Your town, just like almost every other one in the County, has a "Lake St."
...You know that Montrose is where you transfer to MD N trains on riding the blue line from OHare.

Last edited by pvande55; 06-10-2016 at 06:57 PM.. Reason: Add line

Old 06-10-2016, 06:30 PM

5,977 posts, read 13,118,780 times
Growing up in Buffalo Grove, straddling Cook and Lake , I can definitely relate to this. I enjoyed the article and will totally pass it on to friends and family. Thanks!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs