Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 11:09 PM

217 posts, read 581,061 times

Advertisements

I was talking to a guy today who had a Chicago accent big time. It is funny to me that when I listen for it I really do here it. About 20 years ago I was at the Watergate hotel and a worker picked up on my accent right away, I was surprised on how fast he callled me out as a Chicagoan...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 07:12 AM

1,349 posts, read 1,706,778 times
My wife is from Chicago area and I lived there for 10 years. I hear it in the following o sounds (dog, fog, jog).

Our joke sentence was 'I was gonna take the dahg for a jahg but it's too fahggy.

The strongest accent come from the white blue collar city people though. Especially south side. I hear 2 distinct ways of pronouncing 'Chicago' in the Chicago accent. 1.Chicahgo. 2. Chicaughgo. (Almost the vowel like bought - drawn out).

Old 07-01-2016, 08:35 AM

41 posts, read 44,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
My wife is from Chicago area and I lived there for 10 years. I hear it in the following o sounds (dog, fog, jog).

Our joke sentence was 'I was gonna take the dahg for a jahg but it's too fahggy.

The strongest accent come from the white blue collar city people though. Especially south side. I hear 2 distinct ways of pronouncing 'Chicago' in the Chicago accent. 1.Chicahgo. 2. Chicaughgo. (Almost the vowel like bought - drawn out).
That second way of your "Chicaughgo" example is a much better representation of what I was trying to say in my earlier post about how we pronouce the short "a" sound.

I don't know, I think the accent is pretty evenly spread out across race and socioeconomic backgrounds. What may be distracting some is the other accents certain groups have in addition to the Chicago one.

Again, I think it is something many of us Chicagoans don't notice until we are living or visting somewhere else for some time. At least, I did not notice mine until I went away for undergrad many years ago.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:43 AM

1,349 posts, read 1,706,778 times
Well the Chicago accent is much more subtle than most. It's not nearly as identifiable as NE, Deep South, Upper Midwest (i.e. Northern WI/MN/ND).

Old 07-01-2016, 05:26 PM

103 posts, read 150,069 times
True, it is more subtle than rurual MN. The movie Fargo is not exaggerated. But a full-fledged Chicago accent is not particularly subtle. I heard it at the dentist office this morning and thought of this thread.

Old 07-01-2016, 05:43 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
I have a bit of the accent after living in the greater Chicago metro area for awhile and then Madison, WI- which is a more subtle hybrid of the MN influenced accent combined with the northern cities vowel shift.

Old 07-04-2016, 08:49 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,248,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lud Kissel View Post
Never heard the term "bubbler"
It's from Boston. I'm surprised people use it elsewhere.

Old 07-05-2016, 12:40 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,421,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
It's from Boston. I'm surprised people use it elsewhere.
Its kind of localized around Sheboygan Wisconsin.

I always joked that you hear the thickest Chicago accents in Cleveland, simply because its notably thicker there.

Old 07-07-2016, 12:23 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,044,875 times
Do the Chicago pronounced words, "Dis", "dat", "da" ring a bell?? There's clearly a Chicago accent. Fortunately, I didn't pick it up while I lived there.

Old 07-07-2016, 06:40 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,688,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
Do the Chicago pronounced words, "Dis", "dat", "da" ring a bell?? There's clearly a Chicago accent. Fortunately, I didn't pick it up while I lived there.
I've only been here eight years and only go to Chicago a few times a year, so, granted, I'm not Chicago expert. But I have not heard that in real people, just Cliff Claven characters on TV. I know I've heard it, but only in commercials and stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs