Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 04:47 PM

50 posts, read 49,393 times

Advertisements

I'm a minority in that I'm a Conservative white male who has lived in western Oak Park for the past 5 years.

Though they can be annoying at times, I didn't mind encountering a good number of liberal-types and I actually get along well with my neighbors who have Bernie signs in their windows but what I do mind is the increasing number of shady characters who have even migrated to the western part of Oak Park.

I know that the eastern part borders Austin so more crime there is to be expected but I have read in the police blotter about an increasing number of break-ins, assaults etc even in other parts of Oak Park like the western part toward Harlem Ave.

To any others who live in the area, am I right in my assessment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 11:22 PM

62 posts, read 91,555 times
Oak Park is a cynical liberal experiment with a finite lifespan. At some point, there won't be enough wealthy whites living there to foot the bill for the ungodly police presence that's required to keep the ghetto element somewhat in check. Micromanaging 'diversity' requires a tremendous amount of resources, and those resources are dwindling. Get out before the levee breaks.

Old 06-17-2016, 07:05 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,458,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccidentExpress View Post
Oak Park is a cynical liberal experiment with a finite lifespan. At some point, there won't be enough wealthy whites living there to foot the bill for the ungodly police presence that's required to keep the ghetto element somewhat in check. Micromanaging 'diversity' requires a tremendous amount of resources, and those resources are dwindling. Get out before the levee breaks.
I disagree. I think as our middle class continues to vanish, there will be even more limousine liberals who will find Oak Park and Evanston attractive. The Census data bears this out. In 2000, the median house or condo value in Oak Park was $206,100. By 2013 it was $325,434. That's an increase of nearly $50,000 in adjusted dollars, despite the 2008 housing crash.

Median income didn't do as well between 2000 and 2013 - it actually went down by a couple thousand in adjusted dollars. But incomes declined across the state, and I think the median income is skewed low in the case of Oak Park because Oak Park has so many rentals. But the cost of purchasing and carrying the taxes on an Oak Park 2 or 3 unit building are so ridiculously out of whack of what you can get for rents that a lot of them are being converted into SFHs as they get sold. And rents are eventually going to increase beyond the means of the poor in larger buildings due to taxes and rising property values. That'll reduce the renter population and raise their median income even further.

So in short, I do think Oak Park is a good bet for the foreseeable future (i.e. during our lifetimes) if you can afford the high cost of entry.

Old 06-17-2016, 07:48 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,939,362 times
Occident express that is a very cynical view. I don't think its correct. I do think there will be crime though in areas and its everywhere. We have a bunch of crappy apartments in Wheaton and there was a killing there last week. Is Wheaton going down hill? No.

Old 06-17-2016, 08:23 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,940,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
Occident express that is a very cynical view. I don't think its correct. I do think there will be crime though in areas and its everywhere. We have a bunch of crappy apartments in Wheaton and there was a killing there last week. Is Wheaton going down hill? No.
In 1995, a woman from Wheaton wanted a baby so she and some buddies murdered a woman in Addison and cut the baby out of the mother's womb. They also killed the mother's other child. Now the murderer is saying she's served enough time and should be let out of prison.

Here in Naperville, we've had two or three instances of mothers killing their children over the past decade or so -- a couple of years ago, a babysitter killed the child she was babysitting as well as her own child a block from my house. And we've had a heroin problem in the Naperville high schools for years.

People who think this suburb or that suburb is free from the potential of this kind of crime and violence happening are fooling themselves. There are bad people everywhere.

Old 06-17-2016, 08:28 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
There are some hard to predict demographic trends that are going to be magnified in places like Oak Park that have more to do with broader shifts in things like household size than older measures. The shifts that make some towns appealing to folks with larger households may mean parts of Oak Park that do have bigger homes are going to more attractive such families and that likely will have a bigger impacts -- Households, by Family Size, Race and Ethnicity: 2013 | Pew Research Center

Old 06-17-2016, 10:37 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,862,124 times
Any demographic changes in the public schools there?

Old 06-17-2016, 11:10 AM

70 posts, read 92,626 times
Liberal woman here who has lived in west Oak Park longer than OP - I'm not seeing the crime as a major issue. The stupid high school swimming pool and all it symbolizes, on the other hand, may drive me out.

Old 06-17-2016, 11:11 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,939,362 times
Also the one thing about the suburbs near the city and Austin in particular is they may experience "spill over" crime, meaning crime perpetrated by others living points east. We don't have as much of that out beyond the tollways and other barriers as the inner burbs do.

Old 06-17-2016, 01:17 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,458,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
There are some hard to predict demographic trends that are going to be magnified in places like Oak Park that have more to do with broader shifts in things like household size than older measures. The shifts that make some towns appealing to folks with larger households may mean parts of Oak Park that do have bigger homes are going to more attractive such families and that likely will have a bigger impacts -- Households, by Family Size, Race and Ethnicity: 2013 | Pew Research Center
Generally speaking, larger families coincide with lower median household incomes. So will a low/mod income family pay $450k plus $10-15k in property taxes for a home in Oak Park when they can get something just slightly smaller in neighboring Berwyn for $250k plus $5k in property taxes? School demographic numbers pretty much give you the answer.

BERWYN NORTH SD 98: District Profile

BERWYN SOUTH SD 100: District Profile

OAK PARK ESD 97: District Profile

My prediction is that Oak Park will morph into something of a liberal island. There are enough affluent liberals in Chicagoland to keep demand high there, especially given how strong of a brand Oak Park has for being diverse, tolerant, organic, and green. Hopefully, not too many fast food wrappers from Austin and all the neighboring towns will blow onto those wide lawns though, LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs