Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2016, 05:21 AM

3 posts, read 2,279 times

Advertisements

Hi I'm looking at homes in park forest is Shawnee or rocket st a safer mixed area?? Anyone know....I know there r rough parts all over but I need safety for my family. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2016, 03:21 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,083,850 times
Park Forest is not a safe area. Look at Homewood, Flossmoor, Tinley Park, or NW Indiana instead

Old 06-26-2016, 03:22 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,081,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vfd2641 View Post
Hi I'm looking at homes in park forest is Shawnee or rocket st a safer mixed area?? Anyone know....I know there r rough parts all over but I need safety for my family. Thanks
What made you decide on Park Forest?

Park Forest has seen much better days. High number of renters, almost no tax coming in besides property tax. The schools are either awful or just above awful. Crime seems to be on the rise, at least with violent crime. Though the areas you mentioned aren't as bad as the areas say northeast of 26th and Western.

And why a mixed area? You would take a worse off mixed area versus a better area that is all of (insert whatever you want here)?

Even neighboring Matteson is struggling mightily. Richton Park is struggling as well. A lot of businesses fled those areas so you see a lot of empty stores. Foreclosures are high and schools in the area are awful.

If you're looking for a solid blue collar community not far from there, I would look at South Chicago Heights or Steger.

Old 06-27-2016, 06:26 AM

Thank u for the advice. Schools are important to me. I b will expand my search areas. Price looked to good to be true is why I chose park forest to be honest.

Old 06-27-2016, 05:06 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,081,106 times
Quote:
Thank u for the advice. Schools are important to me. I b will expand my search areas. Price looked to good to be true is why I chose park forest to be honest.
Are you coming from out of state or from the Chicagoland area? Might be able to figure something out closer to what you're used to.

Most schools in the south suburbs are just a mess. Gangs, fights, bomb threats.

Park Forest has seen a big increase in violent crime. While the houses in Matteson are nice, their fiscal situation is a mess and they feed into the same school district.

Honestly, I would rather live in a smaller house in a nicer area such as Tinley Park though if your kids go to Tinley Park HS, they'll be mixed in with kids who are bused in from Markham. But not all kids who live in Tinley Park will go to Tinley Park HS.

Old 07-01-2016, 05:41 AM

From a high end suburb where schools are in top 10% nationally and you can leave your home doors unlocked even if your gone for hours

Old 07-01-2016, 08:40 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,251,153 times
That said, your post seems to be moving into 'troll' territory.

Quote:
From a high end suburb where schools are in top 10% nationally and you can leave your home doors unlocked even if your gone for hours

Old 07-01-2016, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
Are you coming from out of state or from the Chicagoland area? Might be able to figure something out closer to what you're used to.

Most schools in the south suburbs are just a mess. Gangs, fights, bomb threats.

Park Forest has seen a big increase in violent crime. While the houses in Matteson are nice, their fiscal situation is a mess and they feed into the same school district.

Honestly, I would rather live in a smaller house in a nicer area such as Tinley Park though if your kids go to Tinley Park HS, they'll be mixed in with kids who are bused in from Markham. But not all kids who live in Tinley Park will go to Tinley Park HS.
The rest of Tinley Park not in tge Tinley Park HS district are in the Andrew HS district which is even better.

Old 07-01-2016, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Munster, IN would be a great choice for you. Schools are top notch whereas many south suburban schools aren't. Even Tinley won't be the same. Even in high end suburbs, keep your doors locked, burgarlaries can happen anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs