Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2016, 08:15 AM

11 posts, read 18,622 times

Advertisements

Moving to Elmhurst from the City. I've searched but not found much information on the Kindercare there. I'm interested in both Kindercare and Kensington reviews for a 2 year old full time. The location of the Kindercare and traffic issues make me nervous.

Also, there was a post about parking at the train and it doesn't seem to be an issue but I'm wondering if a 1.1 mile walk (according to Google maps) is too far to consider walking to the train? Trying to figure out timings as I don't have to do daycare dropoff and just not sure if it's faster to walk versus drive/park/etc.

Coming from the City I'm used to walking everywhere and 1.1 mi doesn't seem like a big deal. Just curious what distance others walk and if makes sense.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2016, 11:14 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
As to the "walk" the first question that comes to mind is what sort of route are you planning on taking? A mile is rather lengthy if it is mostly past private homes -- everything from dogs in unfenced yards to poorly directed sprinklers to unshoveled sidewalks can make this a challenge. If large parts of the walk instead are through Elmhurst's large core, including the Elmhurst College / College Hill Park area that is another story... You might want to investigate the various options for Pace bus -- TransitMaster WebWatch

I suspect it is going to make much more sense to DRIVE if you have to factor in dropping off / picking up a child.

There are several options for preschool / daycare including programs run through some of the local churches that one need not be member to take advantage of, though most of these are targeting kids that are 3 yrs old --
Immanuel Lutheran Church & School | Early Childhood Learning Center
Mary Queen of Heaven Preschool
Bethel Learning Center

Old 06-28-2016, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
As to the "walk" the first question that comes to mind is what sort of route are you planning on taking? A mile is rather lengthy if it is mostly past private homes -- everything from dogs in unfenced yards to poorly directed sprinklers to unshoveled sidewalks can make this a challenge. If large parts of the walk instead are through Elmhurst's large core, including the Elmhurst College / College Hill Park area that is another story... You might want to investigate the various options for Pace bus -- TransitMaster WebWatch

I suspect it is going to make much more sense to DRIVE if you have to factor in dropping off / picking up a child.

There are several options for preschool / daycare including programs run through some of the local churches that one need not be member to take advantage of, though most of these are targeting kids that are 3 yrs old --
Immanuel Lutheran Church & School | Early Childhood Learning Center
Mary Queen of Heaven Preschool
Bethel Learning Center
Thanks for your reply Chet. My walk would most be down Cottage Hill. I thought walking through a residential neighborhood would be ideal but didn't think of the things you mentioned. There is also a bus that goes down York I could take too. Good to know!

Old 06-28-2016, 12:38 PM

748 posts, read 833,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitoburbs2016 View Post
Thanks for your reply Chet. My walk would most be down Cottage Hill. I thought walking through a residential neighborhood would be ideal but didn't think of the things you mentioned. There is also a bus that goes down York I could take too. Good to know!
I think you'll find that pretty much everyone drives, even if it's a short distance (anything more than a 5 minute walk).

Old 06-28-2016, 02:07 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default The truth is "it depends"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJA29 View Post
I think you'll find that pretty much everyone drives, even if it's a short distance (anything more than a 5 minute walk).

Currently there is quite a bit of construction right near the Elmhurst train station and that throws a bit of a "wild card" into assessing things. That said there really are LOTS of people that walk from quite a wide circle -- folks from the area north / west of York High certainly do stroll to the train from even more than a mile away. Ditto for folks as far away as East End Park and other areas past the old hospital. Folks generally find it a pleasant enough walk even coming from south of St. Charles Rd, as long as they are have a safe crossing spot.

Elmhurst, and frankly other towns along the Metra lines that have walkable cores, generally have increased the availability of apartments & condos that are absolutely walkable to the train. There is sound logic in having enough potential restaurant patrons and such close by to make the core more vibrant. That said, many towns (Elmhurst included...) does have parking garages and lots that they know are needed to attract shoppers and other patrons from a bit further away. Folks that have the option to drive and park in either a daily spot or something with a permit will do so when it is raining / snowing and leave the car at home in nice weather. Really, you can see the patterns shift as the weather patterns change from winter and then back again.

Old 06-28-2016, 04:26 PM

748 posts, read 833,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
That said, many towns (Elmhurst included...) does have parking garages and lots that they know are needed to attract shoppers and other patrons from a bit further away. Folks that have the option to drive and park in either a daily spot or something with a permit will do so when it is raining / snowing and leave the car at home in nice weather. Really, you can see the patterns shift as the weather patterns change from winter and then back again.
This is a key element. I was thinking that most people would be walking as they ferry children to and from activities, etc. You'll still see people walking to their commute into the city, but getting kids around is generally a car-based activity.

Old 06-29-2016, 08:19 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,780 times
I live in Elmhurst and have a baby in daycare. I have never experienced the issues walking in residential areas that Chet mentioned. Where I live I have the option of going down York (downtown Elmhurst) or residential streets. I always opt for the residential streets. It's quite pleasant, IMO. I've never had to deal with sprinklers or out of control dogs or anything at all unpleasant. The only bad thing about residential streets is that they are often slower to be shoveled after snow.

As for the Kindercare, that traffic scared me as well. Have you considered Elmhurst Academy? It is basically the same price as Kindercare and I cannot say enough good things about it. Also, the location is not the traffic nightmare that North and 83 is. Kensington is not in a location that is at all convenient for us, so we never considered it. If you are north of the tracks look at Elmhurst Academy. My daughter loves it there.

I am personally a big fan of walking as much as I can, so I do not drive to the train unless the weather is sub-zero and there's so much snow that walking is just too much trouble. I've never had trouble finding parking and with the new garage on Addison I don't think you'll have any issues (the Addison garage has almost no traffic in the mornings compared to the one on First, btw).

I personally drop my daughter off at daycare on my bike and either bike or walk to the train. It is great and I recommend it if it's an option for you.

Old 06-29-2016, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
I live in Elmhurst and have a baby in daycare. I have never experienced the issues walking in residential areas that Chet mentioned. Where I live I have the option of going down York (downtown Elmhurst) or residential streets. I always opt for the residential streets. It's quite pleasant, IMO. I've never had to deal with sprinklers or out of control dogs or anything at all unpleasant. The only bad thing about residential streets is that they are often slower to be shoveled after snow.

As for the Kindercare, that traffic scared me as well. Have you considered Elmhurst Academy? It is basically the same price as Kindercare and I cannot say enough good things about it. Also, the location is not the traffic nightmare that North and 83 is. Kensington is not in a location that is at all convenient for us, so we never considered it. If you are north of the tracks look at Elmhurst Academy. My daughter loves it there.

I am personally a big fan of walking as much as I can, so I do not drive to the train unless the weather is sub-zero and there's so much snow that walking is just too much trouble. I've never had trouble finding parking and with the new garage on Addison I don't think you'll have any issues (the Addison garage has almost no traffic in the mornings compared to the one on First, btw).

I personally drop my daughter off at daycare on my bike and either bike or walk to the train. It is great and I recommend it if it's an option for you.

Thank you that is most helpful! I actually looked into Elmhurst Academy but there were no spots so we are on wait list at Kensington (very near our new home) and will be at Kindercare in the meantime. I've also thought of riding a bike as it seems like it would be quick and less painful driving/parking. Maybe I've just been in the city too long and I'll end up loving to drive but trying to avoid it for now! Someone else drops my child off so that isn't an issue.

Old 06-30-2016, 07:52 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitoburbs2016 View Post
Thank you that is most helpful! I actually looked into Elmhurst Academy but there were no spots so we are on wait list at Kensington (very near our new home) and will be at Kindercare in the meantime. I've also thought of riding a bike as it seems like it would be quick and less painful driving/parking. Maybe I've just been in the city too long and I'll end up loving to drive but trying to avoid it for now! Someone else drops my child off so that isn't an issue.
I don't see why you'd have any issues biking to the train if you'd like doing that. There's plenty of space on the various bike racks for you to do that. My husband bikes to the train pretty much everyday, even in the winter. I personally prefer to walk, but I guess that's because I'm just not that confident on a regular bike and my crazy tricycle is tougher to lock up (has to go on the end of the rack).

We moved here from Chicago also, so I understand the more walk-centric mindset. Three years and a baby later I still prefer to walk when I can. We really do not drive a lot. Sure, that may change as our daughter gets older and is in more activities, just because walking does take longer. But, that's the beauty of a suburb like Elmhurst; there's plenty of parking when we want to drive, but we are close enough to enough that we don't have to drive if we don't want to.

Edited to add - I've heard very good things about Kensington. Also, one of my co-workers has her daughters at the Kindercare and she really loves it. So, you may love the Kindercare also. I'm all about the convenience, all things being equal, but I don't think you can really go wrong with any of the three. We also had issues getting a spot at Elmhurst Academy though, and ended up using an in-home daycare at first. She was great, not as structured/school-like as the big place, but a very sweet lady that my daughter loved. If you want to know more about that go ahead and message me.

Old 07-01-2016, 10:22 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
Check this out - Timothy Christian School in Elmhurst, has preschool -

Timothy Christian Schools
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs