Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 02:15 PM

451 posts, read 465,342 times

Advertisements

I lived in Highwood and commuted to Gurnee for over a year and it's a pretty decent compromise. 20-25 minute commute to Gurnee or Libertyville and 35 minute off-traffic commute to downtown Chicago (50-60 min during higher traffic hours). Metra station (55min to Ogilvie), Forest Preserve, some cool bars and restaurants although it's mainly locals and not really a target rich spot that singles come out to. I did most of my socializing in the city or with old friends/family in other suburbs.

I hear Arlington Heights and Libertyville itself do have more of a singles crowd, they're worth looking into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 03:22 PM

4 posts, read 6,507 times
Wow, thanks for all the feedback everyone. Very thorough and thoughtful, and it's a huge help. I have some time left on this lease to research stuff, so luckily I don't have to make the decision today.

I'll be paying most attention to Highwood, Libertyville proper, and Arlington Heights.

Any thoughts on Deerfield or Highland Park for my purposes?

Old 07-07-2016, 08:51 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,083,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadSpin View Post
Wow, thanks for all the feedback everyone. Very thorough and thoughtful, and it's a huge help. I have some time left on this lease to research stuff, so luckily I don't have to make the decision today.

I'll be paying most attention to Highwood, Libertyville proper, and Arlington Heights.

Any thoughts on Deerfield or Highland Park for my purposes?
Deerfield is very much a bedroom community. HP does have a great downtown, but it's also mostly families.

Old 07-08-2016, 12:59 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,251,153 times
I agree- Grand and 60 can truly blow when you need to get somewhere ;(

Quote:
Originally Posted by numberfive View Post
I lived for 3 years in Gurnee and a few more in Libertyville, and the idea in both places is to avoid the main roads like Grand or Townline.

This is purely anecdotal, but I recall quite a few more times being frustrated with major backups in Gurnee vs Libertyville/Vernon Hills. Like all experiences, YMMV.

Old 07-08-2016, 01:02 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,251,153 times
Agreed. DF is really a non-starter for someone in their 20s. I would say Highwood or Arlington Hts. It would be different if he already had friends in the area, of course. He could be introduced to the two dozen or so twenty somethings living on their own in DF or HP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4122 View Post
Deerfield is very much a bedroom community. HP does have a great downtown, but it's also mostly families.

Old 07-10-2016, 04:48 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,707,420 times
Arlington heights to Libertyville is kind of a ****ty commute though...

Old 07-10-2016, 04:49 PM

Honestly you're not going to do a whole lot better than Libertyville itself (except Evanston but that's a long commute). Most of the time you aren't going out a ton durning the work week anyway. Live close to work (in a fairly nice area) and the trip to the city isn't bad if it's weekends only.

Old 07-10-2016, 05:37 PM

1,951 posts, read 1,635,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
Arlington heights to Libertyville is kind of a ****ty commute though...
How so? I did that commute for 2.5 years, and it was almost always 30 minutes door to door. Just avoid Lake Cook Road, the back roads are your friend.

Old 07-10-2016, 07:15 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,083,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numberfive View Post
How so? I did that commute for 2.5 years, and it was almost always 30 minutes door to door. Just avoid Lake Cook Road, the back roads are your friend.
It depends where in AH you're commuting from since it's so big. Northern AH would be a decent commute, but central or South Ah would be rough. It's not the worst commute, but certainly not ideal if not commuting from north AH

Old 07-11-2016, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4122 View Post
It depends where in AH you're commuting from since it's so big. Northern AH would be a decent commute, but central or South Ah would be rough. It's not the worst commute, but certainly not ideal if not commuting from north AH
Yeah AH is very long north to south. I was assuming the OP would want to live close to DT AH (for the walk ability to shops and restaurants). Libertyville DT is just as good IMO and much closer to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs