Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 06:53 PM

4 posts, read 3,302 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone I work at Ohare and want to find a safe place to move to in the suburbs near Ohare. A place I could hopefully get too in about 30-35 minutes. Here is my issue I only make about 48k a year so probably would need something 150k or below. Credit score is 760. I want something with at least decent schools for my 9 year old. I know for this price it won't be the best schools but there has got to be something out there. I even considered condos and townhouse in better suburbs like Schaumburg and Mount Prospect but I'm also going to bring my mom and dad with me who are retired and want a bedroom in a basement, so if I do that I probably would need a townhouse with two floors which I know aren't very common.

Right now I rent in NW side of Chicago in a good area. Addison and Central ave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 09:37 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,084,314 times
Your budget is tough, but some areas where there will be decent schools,yet it'll be affordable and not too far from O'hare are: Wheeling, Des Plaines,Bloomingdale, and Rolling Meadows.

Old 08-16-2016, 09:40 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
If you are OK with a condo or older townhome you can probably get an acceptable spot in Niles or maybe even Park Ridge --
https://www.redfin.com/IL/Park-Ridge.../home/13648499

Old 08-17-2016, 12:16 PM

155 posts, read 213,056 times
Des plaines might work or even part of Mount Prospect.

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Mount-Pros.../home/13823743
https://www.redfin.com/IL/Des-Plaine.../home/22806635

Old 08-17-2016, 12:48 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,065 times
Maybe Roselle?

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Roselle/25.../home/18195765

Old 08-18-2016, 07:38 PM

34 posts, read 35,835 times
How about Elk Grove Village or the southern part of Arlington Heights?

Old 08-19-2016, 02:44 AM

408 posts, read 997,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubfan2001 View Post
Hi everyone I work at Ohare and want to find a safe place to move to in the suburbs near Ohare. A place I could hopefully get too in about 30-35 minutes. Here is my issue I only make about 48k a year so probably would need something 150k or below. Credit score is 760. I want something with at least decent schools for my 9 year old. I know for this price it won't be the best schools but there has got to be something out there. I even considered condos and townhouse in better suburbs like Schaumburg and Mount Prospect but I'm also going to bring my mom and dad with me who are retired and want a bedroom in a basement, so if I do that I probably would need a townhouse with two floors which I know aren't very common.

I typed in "elk grove village condos" and got this website: https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/...dos-townhomes/. This should be a general indicator of the prices you would pay and should prepare for, if you wish to choose Elk Grove or the surrounding area. I cannot imagine the prices drastically vary from town to town here. I also assume you are looking for three bedrooms, or at least two bedrooms and a private basement room for your parents?

I grew up on the west side of Elk Grove in the Schaumburg township. This means I went to a different school system than those who grew up on the east side of town, who are part of the Elk Grove township. In general, I would recommend Elk Grove. It's a fine, decent suburb, nothing amazing but not bad. I used to work in Rosemont for 3 months, and my commute was around 30 - 35 minutes in the morning (had to get to work by 7 am). It was a straight shot on Devon, Touhy, and Higgins - not complicated at all. I would sometimes get caught at the railway crossings, though, which delayed me on three occasions I recall.

Good luck and best wishes with your investigation.

Old 08-19-2016, 05:24 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,940,693 times
Park Ridge, Elk grove village, Wood Dale, Itasca or Roselle.

Old 08-22-2016, 10:16 PM

490 posts, read 649,767 times
Des Plaines, Niles, Park Ridge

Old 08-29-2016, 11:20 AM

61 posts, read 71,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubfan2001 View Post

Where I'm at in Bloomingdale, you could probably snag a townhome in that price range and with your credit score, assuming you are approved for the loan. The units here do not have basements, but there are some large two bed / two bath units and two-story units. We seem to be in a good school district by all accounts (our daughter is only 5 months old so no first hand experience so far).

It is definitely safe though, I've never not felt safe around here and my wife likes to take walks in the evenings by herself around the area. Sometimes she takes our daughter too.

The drive to ORD can be pretty rough though. I used to commute to EGV and on a good morning it'd take me 20 minutes, a bad morning could add 10-15 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs