Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 07:27 PM

947 posts, read 2,422,375 times

Advertisements

The OP and family have probably moved already, maybe even moved again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 12:04 AM

179 posts, read 486,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown fam View Post
What's the deal?
My wife is from Chicago, and we currently live in Tampa,Fl. We are seriously looking to move to Chicagoland. The city is too expensive, so we took our search to the burbs. We only wanted to be 30 miles or less from the city. The nothern burbs are out of our price range. We have looked into the southern burbs and I am totally disapointed in some of the posts I see about the burbs in southern Chicagoland. Are they that bad? Is it all about black n' white?
Matteson has caught our eye. There are some new homes in our price range. We are looking at homes in the range of $260-$275. Schools & safety are very important too. Can anyone enlightened me on why we shouldn't move there?
THANKS
brown fam: Matteson has many pluses and minuses going for it. Affordability and availability of housing, plus some new construction is good. There is convenient shopping, the proximity to such being very good with many national franchises represented within the area. Location is also a consideration, as commuting is available through rail to the city and surrounding communities to the north. Major highways are conveniently located nearby. The ethnic mix is well-rounded and fairly diverse, if that is of importance to you and many religious groups are represented and available for worship within reasonable driving distance, as well. It is true however, that the school systems are not rated as highly as other communities nearby. If you have children that would be effected by this, please review the ratings of those schools districts involved in the subdivisions in which you are looking for homes. Also remember that schools and their quality are directly linked to the stability of housing prices and their ability to be easily re-sold, should you wish to do that in the future.
Depending on your needs and employment situation, there are other communities available within the driving distances you are wishing to retain. I would suggest looking as far south as Bourbonnais (conveniently located on I-57 & other major highways) and as far west possibly as Manhattan, which now offers train commuting to the city. It is located within the highly reputable Lincoln-Way School District. You had mentioned Lockport as a possibility. Although Lockport is presently facing a high school referendum issue and taxes are a consideration, there is still housing within the price range you desire and schools remain excellent still. I-355 and I-80 (and more) make it extremely convenient for commuting and shopping, etc. is readily available closeby.
I wish you the best of luck in your search. If you have further questions or needs, please do not hesitate to write ...
Gene

Old 12-08-2009, 08:09 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,061,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
it borders monee to the south which is a very small community but has a stern police force and little to no crime.
Anyone who speaks positively about the Monee PD will from here on out, not be taken seriously by me on CityData.com..

I was raised in Park Forest and graduated from Rich East High School but have lived in Monee for a few years now. I've lived here ever since my mom got married to my stepdad. I've had cops pull me over on the drive home from Family Video in Richton Park or friend's house in Park Forest or Chicago Heights.. If you are out after 10PM, the cops will assume you're up to something, pull you over for no reason, ask you a bunch of quesions about what you've been doing and search your car. I can't even count the number of times a Monee pig had his filthy paws up and down my ass and genitalia searching me.. They've never found anything BTW. I have no criminal record.

Argue all you want. But I'm a 16-25 year old male who lives here and I know what I'm talking about. You're right about there being no crime.. It's the cops who are scary around here.

Last edited by urza216; 12-08-2009 at 09:01 PM..

Old 12-11-2009, 02:37 AM

179 posts, read 486,129 times
Try Dundee Homes (www.DundeeHomes.com, 815.933.2080) located and building in Manteno and Bourbonnais. Solid builder with family history of repute in the south suburbs. Multiple floor plans and menu of upgrades available in single-family and townhomes. Builder is building new model homes in Phase #3 of his subdivision in Bourbonnais, so present Bourbonnais models (3) are being sold as a result. Good luck with the upcoming move!

Old 12-11-2009, 11:16 AM

1,070 posts, read 2,918,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfLover2 View Post
Try Dundee Homes (www.DundeeHomes.com, 815.933.2080) located and building in Manteno and Bourbonnais. Solid builder with family history of repute in the south suburbs. Multiple floor plans and menu of upgrades available in single-family and townhomes. Builder is building new model homes in Phase #3 of his subdivision in Bourbonnais, so present Bourbonnais models (3) are being sold as a result. Good luck with the upcoming move!
1. This is an old thread.
2. Why so far??????
3. Good info however

Old 11-25-2013, 09:17 AM

1 posts, read 855 times
Hi i am looking to rent a 2br for my roomate and myself. we want something cheap and nice. we will pay no more than 400/mo. preferably an apartment in the far west or south suburbs of chicago. please contact me [Mod cut: no personal info. Please contact OP per DM] thanks

Last edited by elnina; 11-26-2013 at 03:44 AM..

Old 11-26-2013, 02:41 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,078,593 times
Cheap and nice don't go in the same sentence. Go ahead and try to dictate your "terms" with the landlord of, "We won't be paying more than $400/month" and see how fast you get laughed out of there.

You couldn't even get a decent apartment for that 10 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs