Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 11:04 AM

76 posts, read 161,383 times

Advertisements

These rankings are good general assesments of the schools. If a school is on the list.. it's likely a high quality school.. but if one ranks a few spots above another.. it doesn't mean much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2016, 11:16 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,146,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpm314 View Post
These rankings are good general assesments of the schools. If a school is on the list.. it's likely a high quality school.. but if one ranks a few spots above another.. it doesn't mean much.
I'm not sure how Romeoville High School made the list for Will County.

Old 09-29-2016, 12:33 PM

28,455 posts, read 84,928,817 times
Default Need to understand what the list is showing!

Quote:
Not true at all. Because the editors at Chicago Magazine choose to highlight schools that showed not the best performance but rather those that improved by the greatest percentage they created a false measure; schools that were doing well before and after the period in question were essentially penalized.

I would strongly advice NOT using this list to make any decisions regarding which school may be best for one's children nor would make sense to let this list guide one's home purchase.

Old 09-30-2016, 10:45 AM

11,583 posts, read 6,666,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aga412 View Post
Any particular reason for omitting Kane, Will and McHenry?

The list is NOT accurate at all! If you look at the list for Will County, Neaqua Valley in Naperville is not on the list, but Romeoville is?

Old 09-30-2016, 10:47 AM

11,583 posts, read 6,666,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
I'm not sure how Romeoville High School made the list for Will County.

I laughed so hard when I saw that! NO WAY is that out performing Plainfield North or Neaqua Valley in Naperville! C'mon!

Old 09-30-2016, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Not true at all. Because the editors at Chicago Magazine choose to highlight schools that showed not the best performance but rather those that improved by the greatest percentage they created a false measure; schools that were doing well before and after the period in question were essentially penalized.

I would strongly advice NOT using this list to make any decisions regarding which school may be best for one's children nor would make sense to let this list guide one's home purchase.
I'm not as familiar with other counties but lake county seems to have very good high schools on the list: libertyville, Vernon hills, lake forest, and Stevenson. All our top schools while some would agrue the rankings could be swapped

Old 09-30-2016, 12:24 PM

28,455 posts, read 84,928,817 times
Quote:
I'm not as familiar with other counties but lake county seems to have very good high schools on the list: libertyville, Vernon hills, lake forest, and Stevenson. All our top schools while some would agrue the rankings could be swapped
The performance of those affluent high schools have generally been quite good, very likely the "story" for Lake Co as if fits the methodology of the article is that even when poorer districts like Zion try to have a "speciality" or "magnet" type school there is still a tremendous gap in not just funding but performance.

_______________________________________________Spe nding per Pupil Freshmen-on-Track ACT-Attainment* 5Essentials Graduation Rate
#4____Adlai E. Stevenson High School, Lincolnshire_____$11,233_____95____85 __4.5__95
#5____New Tech High School at Zion Benton East, Zion___$8,037______74____43___2.0__99

Last edited by chet everett; 09-30-2016 at 12:42 PM..

Old 09-30-2016, 04:37 PM

939 posts, read 2,367,807 times
Quote:
Any list for Lake County high schools that is missing both Deerfield and Highland Park is not a good list.

Old 10-01-2016, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige65 View Post
Any list for Lake County high schools that is missing both Deerfield and Highland Park is not a good list.
Deerfield is usually ranked high but highland park I have seen ranked moderately high at times

Old 10-01-2016, 11:41 AM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,343,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige65 View Post
Agree about Deerfield. No so much about Highland Park being top 5 - or at least consistently top 5. Deerfield and Stevenson have been trading places as #1 in Lake County - and the entire Chicago suburban area for that matter, for years. I don't see how any "top" list for Lake County could be excluding Deerfield. I would expect to see it at #1 or #2. Libertyville and Lake Forest have historically been in the very top tier in Lake County (and still are) and Vernon Hills more recently has consistently joined that club. VHS was built new about 15 years ago to relieve overcrowding at Libertyville. It took a little while to get going, but it now seems to have hit its stride. Both are in the same HS district (in fact they are the only schools in the district) and so have very similar goals and philosophies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs