Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 10:27 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,252,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige65 View Post
Ok. Why don't you cherry pick data that puts other schools ahead of HP (besides Deerfield and Stevenson)? Besides ACT scores, performance at state schools based on freshman GPA over a three-year period, and national rankings, what have you got? What exactly did I cherry pick? And what did I misplace? If I made an error in transferring the data from the sources to my post, please show me where. If so, I apologize. Otherwise, the objective data I presented trumps your subjective opinion. Subjectively, having lived on the North Shore for 25 years, I would say that most would place HP in the top three. But I don't like to be subjective when I have other means of supporting my position.

I'm also curious what the "issues" are at HPHS? What you mind find interesting is that the superintendent of Stevenson, Dr. Twadell, sends his children to HPHS. I'm sure he wouldn't do that if there were "issues". He'd know, wouldn't he?
I agree with you. Such 'issues' <ahem> (mostly, nuanced towards the demographic) are ridiculous since it's such a great HS. My friends wouldn't continue to teach there if it was not .

On a lighter note, the superintendent lives in Highwood, so why wouldn't he send them to HPHS? 8-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2016, 02:11 PM

939 posts, read 2,380,568 times
[quote=damba;45730291]I agree with you. Such 'issues' <ahem> (mostly, nuanced towards the demographic) are ridiculous since it's such a great HS. My friends wouldn't continue to teach there if it was not .

On a lighter note, the superintendent lives in Highwood, so why wouldn't he send them to HPHS? 8-)[/QUOTE]

I'm happy to hear that your teacher friends think it is a good school.

I am acquainted with the T family, so I knew about Highwood.

Old 10-06-2016, 03:49 PM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,363,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige65 View Post
Ok. Why don't you cherry pick data that puts other schools ahead of HP (besides Deerfield and Stevenson)? Besides ACT scores, performance at state schools based on freshman GPA over a three-year period, and national rankings, what have you got? What exactly did I cherry pick? And what did I misplace? If I made an error in transferring the data from the sources to my post, please show me where. If so, I apologize. Otherwise, the objective data I presented trumps your subjective opinion. Subjectively, having lived on the North Shore for 25 years, I would say that most would place HP in the top three. But I don't like to be subjective when I have other means of supporting my position.

I'm also curious what the "issues" are at HPHS? What you mind find interesting is that the superintendent of Stevenson, Dr. Twadell, sends his children to HPHS. I'm sure he wouldn't do that if there were "issues". He'd know, wouldn't he?
Geeez....you need to chill out. The topic I commented on was Chicago Magazine's top 5 high schools in Lake County. In Chicago Magazine's OPINION, Stevenson, Libertyville, Vernon Hills, Lake Forest and Zion Technical were the top five (forget order, it does not matter). In my OPINION, I disagreed with leaving Deerfield off the list, but did not disagree with Chicago Magazine in leaving Highland Park off the list. That's it!!! Period!!! OPINION. My OPINION and Chicago Magazine's OPINION. That is all it is. I have lived in Buffalo Grove (Lake County side) for the last 30 years and folks out here just might have a different OPINION than someone who has lived on the North Shore for 25 years. But that's OKAY!!!!!!

Using US News as a guide (not a great guide, but sufficient for this purpose), there are two Gold high schools in Lake County - Stevenson and Deerfield. I think most would agree that these two schools belong on any top 5 list (but you may think not - and that's okay - I won't attack you for your opinion). There are six Silver schools in Lake County - Libertyville, Lake Forest, Vernon Hills, Warren, Highland Park, and Lake Zurich. IN MY OPINION, the three that round out the top five are Libertyville, Lake Forest, and Vernon Hills. In your opinion it might be Highland Park, Warren, and Lake Zurich. That's fine. IT IS YOUR OPINION.

You make it sound like I think HPHS is a bad school. Nothing could be further from the truth. It is an excellent school. I just would not put it in the top 5 in Lake County. Top 10? Of course. MY OPINION. Your OPINION is different. Fine. I won't attack you for your OPINION. You should not be attacking me for my OPINION. Let's move on. All of these Gold and Silver schools are excellent places for kids to get a good education. Let's leave it at that.

Old 10-06-2016, 06:49 PM

939 posts, read 2,380,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjj View Post
Geeez....you need to chill out. The topic I commented on was Chicago Magazine's top 5 high schools in Lake County. In Chicago Magazine's OPINION, Stevenson, Libertyville, Vernon Hills, Lake Forest and Zion Technical were the top five (forget order, it does not matter). In my OPINION, I disagreed with leaving Deerfield off the list, but did not disagree with Chicago Magazine in leaving Highland Park off the list. That's it!!! Period!!! OPINION. My OPINION and Chicago Magazine's OPINION. That is all it is. I have lived in Buffalo Grove (Lake County side) for the last 30 years and folks out here just might have a different OPINION than someone who has lived on the North Shore for 25 years. But that's OKAY!!!!!!

Using US News as a guide (not a great guide, but sufficient for this purpose), there are two Gold high schools in Lake County - Stevenson and Deerfield. I think most would agree that these two schools belong on any top 5 list (but you may think not - and that's okay - I won't attack you for your opinion). There are six Silver schools in Lake County - Libertyville, Lake Forest, Vernon Hills, Warren, Highland Park, and Lake Zurich. IN MY OPINION, the three that round out the top five are Libertyville, Lake Forest, and Vernon Hills. In your opinion it might be Highland Park, Warren, and Lake Zurich. That's fine. IT IS YOUR OPINION.

You make it sound like I think HPHS is a bad school. Nothing could be further from the truth. It is an excellent school. I just would not put it in the top 5 in Lake County. Top 10? Of course. MY OPINION. Your OPINION is different. Fine. I won't attack you for your OPINION. You should not be attacking me for my OPINION. Let's move on. All of these Gold and Silver schools are excellent places for kids to get a good education. Let's leave it at that.

I was responding to the fact that you said I "cherry picked" data and misused it. Did you say that or not? And what I gave you, essentially, was not an OPINION (I read much better with capital letters, so thanks) but objective data, to show you that your OPINION may be off base. And by all means, please tell me to "chill out" because that's super respectful and really helpful. And FYI, in 2015 U.S. News rankings, HP was ranked as a gold medal school, in fact it was ranked 8th in the state. Stevenson was 5th and Deerfield was 7th. Only Jones, Northside, Payton, Lane Tech and Whitney Young ranked ahead. I'm all for you having an OPINION, I'm just presenting to you with hard evidence to the contrary as why your OPINION may not be based in any sort of truth.

If all we can agree on is that all of the schools mentioned are good, we'll leave it at that.

Last edited by Paige65; 10-06-2016 at 07:01 PM..

Old 10-07-2016, 12:51 PM

6 posts, read 6,275 times
I had the opportunity a few years ago to meet with principals/school leadership in 20 suburban Cook County HS as part of a research project, and I will tell you the best evaluation of a school "ranking" is what teachers/principals say about their kids behind closed doors.

I agree the Newsweek ranking is a helpful barometer, but after a certain threshold (TBD by parent) these are all great schools.

By physical visitation alone, I would rank up high Glenbrook North/South HS, Palatine HS, William Fremd, New Trier... just to name top few.

Old 02-09-2018, 06:05 PM

1 posts, read 739 times
Majority of the schools on the list are great, but ranking is little off, New Trier High is arguably the best in entire Illinois.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs