Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 12:08 PM

38 posts, read 156,883 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]I have recently bought a Kimball Hill house and wanted to start a forum location so that we can all stay in the loop with their financial situation. We bough our house in the Settlers Ridge subdivision of Sugar Grove. We are hoping for the best with Kimball not only for us but their employees, and the trades/venders that rely on their business. If anybody is in the same boat as me please post.[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 12:35 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,648,036 times
i did reply under your sugar grove post, but i will include some info here..the village officials are continuing to work with kimball hill on various fees, how their credits for work done etc. are posted to their balance sheet. they do plan to discontinue the traditional neighborhood design, with the alleys etc. they will be going back to "regular" housing styles. hope this helps.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:42 PM

1,016 posts, read 4,542,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblsae View Post
I have recently bought a Kimball Hill house and wanted to start a forum location so that we can all stay in the loop with their financial situation. We bough our house in the Settlers Ridge subdivision of Sugar Grove. We are hoping for the best with Kimball not only for us but their employees, and the trades/venders that rely on their business. If anybody is in the same boat as me please post.
Is your home currently under construction? Are the contractors still working on it? Did you give them a large deposit? I wish you the best of luck, I recently bought a new Neumann Home and got in right before their bankruptcy was announced, so I know how frustrating this can be. I wish you the best of luck and hope you get into your new home soon.

Old 02-22-2008, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgresident View Post
i did reply under your sugar grove post, but i will include some info here..the village officials are continuing to work with kimball hill on various fees, how their credits for work done etc. are posted to their balance sheet. they do plan to discontinue the traditional neighborhood design, with the alleys etc. they will be going back to "regular" housing styles. hope this helps.
[SIZE=3]Sgresident,[/SIZE][SIZE=3]I too noticed that they discontinued the traditional style. They have those models up for sale right now. I like the regular houses better anyway and that is what I purchased. They probably could benefit from the liquid cash that they get for the models too.[/SIZE]

Old 02-22-2008, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbd78 View Post
Is your home currently under construction? Are the contractors still working on it? Did you give them a large deposit? I wish you the best of luck, I recently bought a new Neumann Home and got in right before their bankruptcy was announced, so I know how frustrating this can be. I wish you the best of luck and hope you get into your new home soon.
[SIZE=3]Sbd78, [/SIZE][SIZE=3]They have not started on the house yet but that is not because of the financial situation. It has been extremely cold which has delayed things about 2 weeks. They plan to start digging on Monday. I have about 10K down right now with another 5K due over the next three months. Supposedly they are setting up a special fund not in their name for the escrow money to protect the buyers in the event they do file for bankruptcy. Im glad they finished your house just before the Neumann bankruptcy. I hope I get that lucky. Did you still get a warrantee?[/SIZE]

Old 02-22-2008, 05:17 PM

Quote:
[SIZE=3]Sbd78, [/SIZE][SIZE=3]They have not started on the house yet but that is not because of the financial situation. It has been extremely cold which has delayed things about 2 weeks. They plan to start digging on Monday. I have about 10K down right now with another 5K due over the next three months. Supposedly they are setting up a special fund not in their name for the escrow money to protect the buyers in the event they do file for bankruptcy. Im glad they finished your house just before the Neumann bankruptcy. I hope I get that lucky. Did you still get a warrantee?[/SIZE]
We had a 1-year warranty through Neumann that covered everything-That was gone with the bankruptcy. We also have a 10-year structural warranty that is through an outside company, so that one is still good. Also, make sure you get title insurance when you close on your home. (I think title insurance is standard, but make sure you have it anyway.) We have been getting liens filed on our home by the contractors Neumann never paid. Title insurance protects us so we are not responsible for them.

Old 02-22-2008, 05:48 PM

Great tip. Who do you think I should talk to about the title insureance? Should I just bring that up to my lawyer?

Old 02-22-2008, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Great tip. Who do you think I should talk to about the title insureance? Should I just bring that up to my lawyer?
Talk to your lawyer about it. We automatically got title insurance when we closed on our home (we didn't specifically ask for it), so I'm not sure if it is standard with all closings or not. When I closed on my home, I was pretty clueless. I didn't know Neumann was about to go bankrupt and I didn't know what title insurance was for, but I was very glad I had it when I started getting liens on my home!

Last edited by sbd78; 02-22-2008 at 07:37 PM..

Old 02-23-2008, 12:34 PM

Well I’m not sure how to take this article from the Tribune but I would say it is more positive than negative. In case anybody out there is looking for the latest and greatest on Kimball Hill, here is an article about how they amended their agreement with their lenders.

Struggling home builder Kimball Hill amends agreements with lenders -- chicagotribune.com

Old 02-23-2008, 08:14 PM

610 posts, read 2,729,575 times
Lenders require title insurance when you take out a mortgage. You will have title insurance but read the fine print and make sure any liens placed on your home due to BK are covered. Another issue with the builders who are going under is what happens to the development that is left behind. Who will complete the project, will roads be maintained, will the parks that were on the original plans be established by a new builder who comes in, will the style of the new builder match the proposed environmment. As someone else mentioned, quite often the original builder's warranties become void during a BK situation. Best of luck to all the Kimball Hill buyers out there, please keep us updated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs