Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 02:45 PM

2 posts, read 7,272 times

Advertisements

Oh my goodness! Berry's...haven't thought about that in a while. Or even further back... Braun's Store...there's a blast from the past!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 05:14 PM

2,522 posts, read 4,391,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown fam View Post
Sounds like a great area. Is it a diverse area?
Sadly, no. New Lenox, Manhattan, Frankfort, west Tinley, Mokena have very little diversity. They are bedroom communities with extremely high taxes to support elementary and high school districts with little or no industry (even light industry) and the need for tax dollars for infrastructure and additonal school buildings.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:54 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,031,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamama Mia View Post
Sadly, no. New Lenox, Manhattan, Frankfort, west Tinley, Mokena have very little diversity. They are bedroom communities with extremely high taxes to support elementary and high school districts with little or no industry (even light industry) and the need for tax dollars for infrastructure and additonal school buildings.
Frankfort has "industry" off of Central and Laraway. In fact, one can find large industries such as Pactiv and Ice Mountain. Besides, most of Frankfort/Mokena/New Lenox's community is highly educated and works white collar jobs in the city. They don't need warehouses in their town because their residents' education brings them to the Loop.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
Frankfort has "industry" off of Central and Laraway. In fact, one can find large industries such as Pactiv and Ice Mountain. Besides, most of Frankfort/Mokena/New Lenox's community is highly educated and works white collar jobs in the city. They don't need warehouses in their town because their residents' education brings them to the Loop.
That is a very small amount of industry. Also, check the demographics for the area, average income and % of college educated, unfortunately, I don't think your argument holds water.
Taxes continue to spin out of control due to the unrestricted growth in the area.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:51 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,165,196 times
Quote:
That is a very small amount of industry. Also, check the demographics for the area, average income and % of college educated, unfortunately, I don't think your argument holds water.
Taxes continue to spin out of control due to the unrestricted growth in the area.
I agree. Taxes are definitely out of control in this area, but most of the Chicago suburbs are no bargain either. One of my friends told me that this is how these towns keep riff-raff out. I don't think most people in this area want more diversity. They probably like it the way it is.

Old 10-25-2008, 03:34 PM

[quote=HighPlainsDrifter73;5848118]I agree. Taxes are definitely out of control in this area, but most of the Chicago suburbs are no bargain either. One of my friends told me that this is how these towns keep riff-raff out. I don't think most people in this area want more diversity. They probably like it the way it is.[/quote]

Sad, isn't it?

Old 10-26-2008, 07:40 PM

162 posts, read 803,349 times
"Sad, isn't it?"

Yes and no - I mean, diversity is good sometimes, but I think most of us are most comfortable with people like us. Not saying other races (I am white and my best friends are asian and latino) are bad, but even though the man I consider my brother is asian - I would not like to live a majority asian community.

I know there are benefits to being exposed to diversity - but forcing it is wrong, IMO and while I love other races, religions, etc - I prefer to live and have my family with people similar to me - right or wrong, just my preference. Probably most people's preference as well. Have you ever heard of an asian being criticized for living in chinatown?

Old 10-27-2008, 04:28 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,165,196 times
[quote=Mamama Mia;5851955]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
I agree. Taxes are definitely out of control in this area, but most of the Chicago suburbs are no bargain either. One of my friends told me that this is how these towns keep riff-raff out. I don't think most people in this area want more diversity. They probably like it the way it is.[/quote]

Sad, isn't it?
I'm fine with New Lenox the way it is. I like leaving well enough alone.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:37 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,031,232 times
Quote:
Frankfort is one of the 5 richest southern suburbs so I don't get what point you are trying to make...Frankfort doesn't have a large amount of low class jobs, was that it? Is that supposed to be a good thing? Frankfort, Mokena, and New Lenox are amongst the most highly educated cities in the Chicago Suburbs...certainly more educated than where you are from/live because the stats prove exactly the opposite of what you said they did! wtf??? you must be thinking of Frankfort, Kentucky! LOL

Last edited by At1WithNature; 10-27-2008 at 08:10 AM..

Old 10-27-2008, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
Frankfort is one of the 5 richest southern suburbs so I don't get what point you are trying to make...Frankfort doesn't have a large amount of low class jobs, was that it? Is that supposed to be a good thing? Frankfort, Mokena, and New Lenox are amongst the most highly educated cities in the Chicago Suburbs...certainly more educated than where you are from/live because the stats prove exactly the opposite of what you said they did! wtf??? you must be thinking of Frankfort, Kentucky! LOL

Not Frankfort KY, or West Frankfort, IL, I know Frankfort very well, actually, I have been visiting that area since a builder friend began building in Prestwick years ago and they currently live in Butternut.
What I am saying is that there needed to be some industry to support the tax system, I didn't say anything about low class jobs. That was an incorrect assumption on your part.
The general areas to which I am referring, Mokena, Frankfort Square, Frankfort and New Lenox are, on the average, very middle class suburbs. Frankfort definitely has the highest average home price and household income of the group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs