Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 08:14 AM

20 posts, read 75,370 times

Advertisements

having visited highland park several times, i am well aware that it is predominantly white. but does it offer any diversity to speak of? i know that neighboring highwood has a hispanic population.....does it spill over into HP at all?

any feedback would be appreciated. thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 10:35 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,608,720 times
I can tell you about all the "diverse" people I know in HP. Weallthy Jewsih, wealthy prots, and a few wealthy catholics. Thats about it from me.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:02 AM

4,176 posts, read 6,332,598 times
I've heard that some of the Highwood hispanic population does spill over into HP in the sense that the at least some of the children in Highwood are allowed to attend HPHS. I also heard that HP residents did not take kindly to this, as they felt some of those students were not at the level of most HPHS student (living in HP proper) and that had a negative effect on the school.
HP is not considered to particularly diverse community, though I'm not overly familiar with it.

Old 03-08-2008, 01:16 PM

939 posts, read 2,379,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
I've heard that some of the Highwood hispanic population does spill over into HP in the sense that the at least some of the children in Highwood are allowed to attend HPHS. I also heard that HP residents did not take kindly to this, as they felt some of those students were not at the level of most HPHS student (living in HP proper) and that had a negative effect on the school.
HP is not considered to particularly diverse community, though I'm not overly familiar with it.
All of Highwood's school age population are part of the Highland Park public school system. It has been this way for a long time. Highwood does not have a public school system. There is one Catholic school, but most of Highwood's hispanic kids do not attend that school, but instead attend Oak Terrace Elementary in Highland Park (64% hispanic, 31% white), Northwood Junior High (62% white, 29% hispanic), and Highland Park High School (80% white, 14.5% hispanic, 2.5% asian, 2.3% black). There are two other Highland Park elementary schools that have a minority hispanic population, those two schools are Sherwood (about 15% hispanic) and Red Oak (about 31% hispanic). Many of the hsipanic children are in the dual language program offered by the District.

To answer the original question, no, there is not much diversity other than the minority hispanic population. My kid's school has a few black children, and a handful of asian and hispanic, but the majority are caucasian. There is diversity in terms of religion, with about half christian and half jewish. In some schools there may be a majority jewish and in others a majority christian.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:25 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,738,525 times
I am not from Highland Park, but I worked there for several years. The lack of diversity is shocking. The Latinos from Highwood are really only spotted in Highland Park when they are working in some sort of service capacity (janitor, bus boy). I can count with my ten fingers the number of African Americans I saw in that town over the course of three years-- and at least half of those were ex-pro-basketball players; other than them and their families you just don't see many minorities there. Don't get me wrong, it has a great town area, great schools, etc, but diversity is completely lacking.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:58 AM

25 posts, read 108,420 times
I do no that Highland Park High School is having a lot of problems because the parents are upset that people from Highwood are buying/renting cheap condo's or houses and going to Highland Park High School. This probably isn't the place for you if you want diversity instead your children would feel out of place going to schools in this area.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:47 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,358,288 times
Default Sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket00 View Post
having visited highland park several times, i am well aware that it is predominantly white. but does it offer any diversity to speak of? i know that neighboring highwood has a hispanic population.....does it spill over into HP at all?

any feedback would be appreciated. thanks!
Sure its diverse, there are Hasidic, Orthodox, and liberal members of the Jewish faith, and Juanita Jordan. Any other questions ?

Old 03-18-2008, 04:43 PM

11 posts, read 38,209 times
Highland Park is as homogeneous as it gets. I don't think you would be happy there if diversity is important to you.

Old 03-19-2008, 03:21 PM

75 posts, read 386,279 times
In my opinion Highland Park has plenty of diversity, given how far it is from the city and how expensive it is. It has more african-american residents than most North Suburban communities. It also has a fairly large hispanic population in itself and its neighbor. Highland Park is a wonderful town and you can find different people there.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:25 AM

162 posts, read 803,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NUman View Post
In my opinion Highland Park has plenty of diversity, given how far it is from the city and how expensive it is. It has more african-american residents than most North Suburban communities. It also has a fairly large hispanic population in itself and its neighbor. Highland Park is a wonderful town and you can find different people there.
I don't think anyone said Highland Park isn't a great town - I have friends there and they love it. But, as far as diversity, there is none. That is not meant as a negative statement. Actually, the lack of diversity is probably appealing to most people that live there - not everyone likes diversity. And by more black residents you mean 2% rather than 1% of the population, you are correct
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs