Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 10:24 AM

2 posts, read 6,448 times

Advertisements

Our family is considering moving to Park Ridge (among others) & are wondering if we'll be the only non democrats (republicans) in town? We want to fit in with our neighbors & feel welcome. Other questions are - Does Park Ridge have a historic neighborhood? Personal opinions on schools? Overall vibe of the area?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2016, 12:47 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,935,874 times
Park Ridge is a very nice town. I don't live there but I think its not one of the most conservative towns and probably has both Democrats and Republicans now. I think years ago it was considered Republican but that's probably changed now. I don't know if it has a historic district but it has a diverse housing stock with many lovely homes.

Old 10-16-2016, 03:15 PM

263 posts, read 567,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzman0423 View Post
Our family is considering moving to Park Ridge (among others) & are wondering if we'll be the only non democrats (republicans) in town? We want to fit in with our neighbors & feel welcome. Other questions are - Does Park Ridge have a historic neighborhood? Personal opinions on schools? Overall vibe of the area?

Thanks in advance
I know Park Ridge very well. There are many Republican types in town and overall I would say it is a conservative town. However, I am not sure why people ask about the general political orientation of an area as unless you feel the need to frequently discuss politics with your neighbors, or otherwise broadcast your politics, it will be a non-issue.

Schools are good, there is an area with older homes near Hodges Park and city hall. It is a nice mix of housing stock and a good place to raise a family. Vibe is middle to upper middle class, non-sprawl, suburbia. The town is walkable. Some people complain about airplane noise but that is mostly a non-issue and can be determined prior to purchase.

Old 10-17-2016, 01:58 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,418,158 times
Most suburbs, with a few outliers, tend to be rather conservative.

Old 10-17-2016, 03:54 PM

720 posts, read 1,083,557 times
I feel like many Chicago burbs are getting increasingly more "purple" as time marches on.

Old 10-18-2016, 08:07 AM

529 posts, read 646,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Most suburbs, with a few outliers, tend to be rather conservative.

Compared to the city the suburbs are more conservative, but all in all i've noticed (and I think the voting data backs it up) there seems to still be a democrat majority.

Old 10-19-2016, 07:04 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,418,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeman7 View Post
Compared to the city the suburbs are more conservative, but all in all i've noticed (and I think the voting data backs it up) there seems to still be a democrat majority.
And most people in the suburbs keep pretty buttoned up about their politics, IME.

Old 10-21-2016, 07:11 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,898,097 times
Hillary was the last one, and she's been gone for decades. Seriously: Republicans are the majority but there are some Democrats who keep quiet about their affiliation.

Old 12-27-2016, 10:56 AM

11 posts, read 20,520 times
Default Its a mix

I live in PR and think its pretty mixed here. I mean, its a mainly republican suburb but no one really discusses political issues outside of posting your signs on the front lawn before elections. Most people seem to be pretty friendly, that being said, there is a lot of "money" in this burb so you will meet a lot of very entitled children with opinions. The republicans tend to live in the area closer to uptown because thats the super wealthy part of park ridge, and it runs on the north side all the way to potter road. Being south of northwest highway you will get more upper middle class families and more democrats.

Old 12-27-2016, 11:11 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,169,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeb2009 View Post
I live in PR and think its pretty mixed here. I mean, its a mainly republican suburb but no one really discusses political issues outside of posting your signs on the front lawn before elections. Most people seem to be pretty friendly, that being said, there is a lot of "money" in this burb so you will meet a lot of very entitled children with opinions. The republicans tend to live in the area closer to uptown because thats the super wealthy part of park ridge, and it runs on the north side all the way to potter road. Being south of northwest highway you will get more upper middle class families and more democrats.
Do you mean west/southwest of NW Highway? The area around Uptown is affluent, but things get more middle to upper middle class heading west. The family I have in Park Ridge lives just west of Uptown and just north of it. There aren't a ton of difference between the two. More McMansions maybe? The area around Murphy Lake is really nice.

My family in Park Ridge is pretty centrist. They all voted for Obama, but truthfully they probably lean right. Even if marginally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs