Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2008, 03:28 PM

242 posts, read 754,058 times

Advertisements

i've posted a lot lately, since i'm interested in moving to the chicago area and attend college there within the next few years. one area that really caught my interest was crystal lake. i looked it up and it seems very quiet and pleasant, not too pricy, which is great since everything in long island is too expensive. do people commute from there to chicago? would it be feasible to commute from there to evanston or elmhurst (2 possible university locations0? thankss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 03:52 PM
mdz

622 posts, read 2,613,298 times
The commute to either of those places would be horrific.

Old 02-23-2008, 05:33 PM

331 posts, read 1,541,042 times
Don't do it. Seriously don't!! This is a type of commute that'll drain all your energy at least 15 minutes before you finally get a chance to set a foot into either of your chosen schools.

There are a few of these "very quiet and pleasant, not too pricy crystal lakes" between those schools and the actual Crystal Lake. Chicago traffic is no better(actually can get worse in some parts) than Northeast. So try to limit your average commute to 40 minutes, because it can easily stretch into 1:20 on any given day. Or look for the place where you can efficiently use public transit like Metra(metrarail.com), Pace(pacebus.com) or CTA.

Old 02-23-2008, 08:28 PM

242 posts, read 754,058 times
thanks for your responses. how far is crystal lake from the chicago area? i heard it's reallyyy nice there that's why. i currently live on long island and i'm an hour from new york city. how many hours is crystal lake to chicago, driving? i take the long island rail road, which is less than an hour to nyc, which is like metra. how long is crytal lake to chicago on metra??

Old 02-23-2008, 09:59 PM

331 posts, read 1,541,042 times
I think it's on Metra's Harvard line and would be about 1:30 from downtown Chicago. No convenient public transit connection to either of those schools though. So you'll need to plan for attending downtown campus exclusively.

If you're driving, I'd say some 50 miles to downtown. Driving is a shear misery. First you would probably take Route 14, which has become a drag with all the new traffic lights. Eventually you'll hit I-90 which at times can turn into a parking lot once you're within city limits.
But that route is for getting to Chicago. If you're going to Evanston, there will be no expressway, you would need to take the streets. If you obey the speed limits and don't run red lights, that's at least 2 hours one way.

By the way, have you ever visited this area? I guess that you've heard of an older part of Crystal Lake which is sort of like one of those nice and pretty small towns in the middle of CT. But Chicagoland is rapidly expanding that way and the surrounding area is gradually turning into a typical sprawl, so there's not a whole lot to get excited about unless you can afford an older part of town. Are you planning to buy or rent? If you'll be renting, definitely reconsider as there are much more convenient places within 10 miles of Northwestern campus in Evanston.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:01 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,147,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3512 View Post
thanks for your responses. how far is crystal lake from the chicago area? i heard it's reallyyy nice there that's why. i currently live on long island and i'm an hour from new york city. how many hours is crystal lake to chicago, driving? i take the long island rail road, which is less than an hour to nyc, which is like metra. how long is crytal lake to chicago on metra??
Im a little late to the party so to speak, but I figured Id chime in here. The commute (as others have said) would be stuff nightmares are made of. I wouldnt wish that commute on my worst enemy. Crystal Lake is pretty decent in and of itself, but you can find better communities that are alot closer in. And if youre looking for "quiet", Crystal Lake is hardly that anymore. The area has grown exponentially in the last 10 years, and has become quite congested. Not on the levels of say, Naperville or Chicago, but compared to what it was 10 years ago, traffic nowadays is a nightmare.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:13 AM

25 posts, read 88,727 times
I did the commute from CT to NYC years ago. I think you'll find the traffic in Chicago to be similar to Long Island/NYC. For that reason, I wouldn't make a choice on towns until you know for sure where you will be attending school. Then I would recommend you narrow your town choices to two or three outside your college town. Or, try to get a town on the train line that goes to your campus. Metrarail.com for train lines. ksmgac.com has real estate info by region, zip code, etc. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs