Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2016, 09:14 PM

8 posts, read 7,013 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I will be moving to Illinois next year- I will be working in Lombard and need to figure out where I should live. Lombard didn't strike me as a fun place to live.

It is just my dog and I so I am interested in renting a small/decent sized townhouse with a tiny yard in safe neighborhood where I can walk him at night. I'd love to be near a good gym, walkable area, grocery etc. I am not picky - no kids, so school systems are not a concern although I am obsessed with libraries.

I don't have to go to the office every day as I travel for work and can work from home so I don't necessarily have to live very close to the office.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2016, 11:40 PM

28,455 posts, read 84,971,395 times
Depending on what you defination of "fun" is Lombard itself might be an outstanding option for someone without kids that wants a safe neighborhood with townhomes, grocers, a good library and dog friendly policies. Not sure what would strike anyone differently, though if one stayed at hotel very close to the office that was near Finley Squre Mall or Yorktown they probably got a very different impression of the town than one would have if you were to explore the more residential parts town and its downtown core with good rail service via the UP-West line.
Adjacent Downers Grove, on the BNSF line is perhaps a bit more upscale with a more well developed core. Towns like Elmhurst, Glen Ellyn, Naperville and Wheaton should certainly be looked at too.

The traditional suggestion for folks looking west of Chicago is Oak Park, and it too might be worth considering.

Old 11-24-2016, 07:52 AM

8 posts, read 7,013 times
Thanks Chet; you are correct, I was basing my opinion on the area around the industrial park. I am going to do more research in the local area and look at the other areas you recommended. Thank you for the feedback - moving to the Chicago suburbs is somewhat overwhelming as I am coming from a tiny town in the PNW. Happy Turkey day!

Old 11-24-2016, 08:12 AM

28,455 posts, read 84,971,395 times
Default Completely understand !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo18 View Post
Thanks Chet; you are correct, I was basing my opinion on the area around the industrial park. I am going to do more research in the local area and look at the other areas you recommended. Thank you for the feedback - moving to the Chicago suburbs is somewhat overwhelming as I am coming from a tiny town in the PNW. Happy Turkey day!
There are really no "tiny towns" in the Chicago region -- the few that are "more quaint" have worked hard to find a way to balance the desires of residents with the needs of business owners and those reliant on tax revenues to maximize the retail space. That often lead to haphazard development efforts and feuds /court cases between those on opposing sides...

With a bit of "looking around" you might be pleasantly surprised at what Lombard has to offer. The well programmed Park District has a variety of offerings, quite a few for dog owners -- Activity Guide | Lombard Park District

The municipal government is fairly responsive too -- Connect | Lombard, IL - Official Site

Old 11-29-2016, 10:23 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,878,431 times
Lombard, Glen Ellyn or Wheaton. Naperville, Lisle or Downers Grove would not be too far or out the question either. All are nice, safe towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs