Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 01:08 PM

37 posts, read 55,686 times

Advertisements

Woodridge, Bartlett, West Chicago (parts that go to Bartlett schools), Skokie, Lincolnwood, des plaines, Hoffman estates, schaumburg. I would not recommend Plainfield. The schools there aren't that good and it isn't that diverse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2016, 04:35 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,169,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayubimope View Post
Woodridge, Bartlett, West Chicago (parts that go to Bartlett schools), Skokie, Lincolnwood, des plaines, Hoffman estates, schaumburg. I would not recommend Plainfield. The schools there aren't that good and it isn't that diverse.
I like your list. I like Lincolnwood, but there aren't going to be a ton of options for 350k there. Same for Evanston. You could maybe look in Morton Grove. Not sure you'll have a ton of options there either. Make sure you're in the Niles Township High School District if you do look into Morton Grove. Skokie will give you the most options without headaches about schools.

I'd also look at Glenview. You'll have even fewer options here than Lincolnwood, Evanston, or Morton Grove, but homes for under 350k do exist! Make sure you're in the Glenbrook Township High School District.

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Glenview/4.../home/13799939

Elmhurst is great as well. I'd also suggest Arlington Heights.

Old 12-26-2016, 05:23 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,668,016 times
Flossmoor...I think you can get Downtown in 50 min on the train.

Nice community.

Good schools.

Old 12-26-2016, 05:24 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,668,016 times
Flossmoor.

Nice community.

Good schools.

Old 12-26-2016, 06:10 PM

I would definitely not recommend anyone spending $300k on a home in flossmoor...

Old 12-26-2016, 08:32 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,730,345 times
Quote:

WHAT are you talking about?? Plainfield is VERY diverse and the schools in North Plainfield are rated a 9 & 10 like Naperville! North Plainfield has a good mix of White, African American, Asian, Indian and Hispanic.

I would not recommend the Southern part of Plainfield as that is technically Joliet. It is also very diverse, but just not as nice.

Old 12-26-2016, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
WHAT are you talking about?? Plainfield is VERY diverse and the schools in North Plainfield are rated a 9 & 10 just like Naperville! North Plainfield has a good mix of White, African American, Asian, Indian and Hispanic.

I would not recommend the Southern part of Plainfield as that is technically Joliet. It is also very diverse, but just not as nice.
Not as diverse as the towns I listed above...

Old 12-26-2016, 08:44 PM

Also, their budget is 350k. No reason to move to Plainfield when they can afford naperville. Taxes in plain field are crazy high too.

Old 12-26-2016, 09:05 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,730,345 times
Quote:
Also, their budget is 350k. No reason to move to Plainfield when they can afford naperville. Taxes in plain field are crazy high too.
A lot of people prefer North Plainfield to Naperville because you can get a 3000 sq ft house for $350K with the same school rankings as Naperville (9&10), but in Plainfield your home will be bigger and newer at that price and property taxes slightly lower at $8-$10k. In Naperville, a $350K home is going to be about 2,000 sq ft, 20-30years old (or older) and taxes will be $11-13K.

Personally I no longer live in Illinois! We lived in Plainfield for 10 years, we moved this past summer to St. John, Indiana which is also about 50 minutes to Chicago. Property taxes are capped at 1% of assessed home value and no tax on food.

Last edited by CGab; 12-26-2016 at 09:35 PM..

Old 12-27-2016, 07:55 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,179,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
A lot of people prefer North Plainfield to Naperville because you can get a 3000 sq ft house for $350K with the same school rankings as Naperville (9&10), but in Plainfield your home will be bigger and newer at that price and property taxes slightly lower at $8-$10k. In Naperville, a $350K home is going to be about 2,000 sq ft, 20-30years old (or older) and taxes will be $11-13K.

Personally I no longer live in Illinois! We lived in Plainfield for 10 years, we moved this past summer to St. John, Indiana which is also about 50 minutes to Chicago. Property taxes are capped at 1% of assessed home value and no tax on food.
You will get more house for your money in Plainfield, for sure. I think you're severely overstating property taxes in Naperville, though, based on facts. Here's some houses that sold in Naperville in the last 6 months in the general stated price target of $350k. None have property taxes close to that. I bought pretty close to that price and I'd need my taxes to go up more than 80% next year to hit $11k. In the below examples, I don't know why 2014 taxes are around $7k and then everyone was bumped down to $3-$5k in 2015 (big refund?), but I'd say expect $6-8k for taxes the $350k price, or look at a respective house's information in the listing rather than making assumptions.

3436 Parliament Ln, Naperville, IL 60564 - realtor.com®

1305 Fireside Ct, Naperville, IL 60564 - realtor.com®

3407 Parliament Ln, Naperville, IL 60564 - realtor.com®

2311 Kentuck Ct, Naperville, IL 60564 - realtor.com®

2565 Brockton Cir, Naperville, IL 60565 - realtor.com®

As others on this forum suggested to me when I was looking for a house, go to illinoisreportcard.com to look at objective school data, and not just the 1-10 rating on Great Schools. The website also has demographic information if the OP cares to know about that as the original post suggested. There's several minority-majority schools in Naperville in District 204. There's a general correlation between the Great Schools score and how good a school is, but it's imperfect, definitely better to look at the underlying data. In general Naperville schools perform better than Plainfield. There appear to be a couple good elementary schools that feed into Plainfield North, but Plainfield North doesn't compare to Neuqua Valley based on academic measures. I'm sure Plainfield North is a pretty good school, though, so figure out your trade offs. If you're in Naperville, you're closer to the Route 59 train. If you're in Naperville anywhere along Route 59, the schools will be more diverse than the better performing of the Plainfield schools. If you're in Plainfield, you have a bigger and newer house but are further from the train and have schools that are a tad worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs