Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 05:20 PM

33 posts, read 126,811 times

Advertisements

Well I think I am going to stay in IL and suck it up. I know people who live in Vegas now, but they grew up in IL. They LOVE it and would never move back. They have really good, secure jobs and said they always wanted to get out of the cold and live around palm trees.
I guess it's all about what you want out of life. Personally, I need grass, but I do love palm trees!

It's true, if you have a good job (where ever it may be) thats what counts because that will pay the bills. So moving out of state just to fill a void might not be the best decision, unless a great opportunity is lined up. Im almost 30 and I would probably miss MID WEST living.....................thats what tropical vacations are for!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 08:10 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyscooby View Post
they always wanted to get out of the cold and live around palm trees.
Why do people think Vegas is some winter paradise? lol

Seriously, it gets pretty doggone cold at night in the winter, even if the days are decently mild. And snow in Vegas is quite common, too, sometimes receiving several inches at a time.

Vegas is also amongst the worst cities affected by the struggling economy. Their foreclosure rate is out of this world. Id stay in IL, too.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:22 AM

610 posts, read 2,729,118 times
I did not move out of state but I did make a move (about 30 mins away) thinking it would be a good economical decision. I was wrong and moved back. A neighbor of mine moved to SC for a job and loves the lower taxes, property values and weather but says the schools are an issue for them. They are moving back to IL later this year. I guess I'm just used to living a certain way and do it. I tried making a small change and really struggled with it and came running back. You can always come back if you find out it is not for you. Good luck.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:27 AM

610 posts, read 2,729,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofIL View Post
All the places that everyone is talking about where living is cheap here are not necessarilly where I would want to live. If you want to live an hour or more from work maybe you can find cheap housing.

Yes, there are many places to go if you can afford them. I sure cannot afore to go to Brookfield zoo or any of the museums anymore. Try to take a family of five anywhere. Almost $100 to go the the museums downtown. $70 to go to the zoo.

I don't see how it can cost as much most anywhere else (outside of places like LA, NY, etc.) Maybe if you live here in Sugar Grove or west of Rockford or in the far south side. Houses here are very over priced. Property taxes are out of hand and generally go up every year to the tax cap. I was just at the Dentise this week and he told me that he and his wife were planning on adding two bedrooms to their house. When they had the plans drawn up he went to the tax assessors office and they told him that this addition was going to change his taxes from $6800 to $12000. He said that they aren't going to do it now. In the past three years I have lived in unincorporated Wheaton my taxes have gone from $3800 to $5100.

Besides, the weather here is the pits. With the cold, snow, cloudy days, rain, unreasonably hot humid days there isn't much left to enjoy the outdoors.

A large amount of people here also aren't friendly. Nobody wants to talk to you anymore than to say hello. If you try to be friendly you get the feeling that they think you want something from them. (outside of friendship) Or they are too busy to take the time.

The school system superintendant stated in a newspaper artacle recently that the tax increases for the school aren't a problem because the older retiring people will move away and younger families will move in that have school aged kids. So the younger families are goint to afford the taxes better? And so why should older people move just because they are retireing? Most I know want to stay in their homes. although some are forced to move because they cannot afford the taxes on a fixed income.

Yes, moving will take getting used to. Maybe other places don't have the huge amount of jobs that are available here. But so what? If you are marketable you should be able to get a job in most places.

The cost of living here is high and maybe is isn't much different in other places. But you need to look at what you want. I don't like the snow and cold. My allergies (mold) are horrible here. I have always loved the desert but until now have not been in the position to move. We are looking at Tucson. I know many have arguments against this but they can have their own opinion. For me, I love the weather there. I love the scenery. The people there are very different. It's more laid back. Here people are in a hurry for everything all of the time. They are also ready to argue about anything most of the time. Of corurse maybe it's just the specific area that I have lived here but I haven't seen anything much different anywhere in the Burbs.

We visited there for a week and already have two new friends. I have made contact with someone that owns an auto restoration shop and he was very eager to give me information on emission testing for project cars. Most people in that industry here will only talk to you if you are ready to spend money.

You need to do what your heart tells you. If it says move, then move. If you are really woried about moving, maybe you need to revisit your reasons.

Just a quick note about the museums (as mentioned above). Get the yearly pass. For about $100.00 I can take my family every day to Brookfield Zoo if I want. My membership (about $100) gets me into the parking lot, zoo, children's zoo, family play zoo, etc... all included in the membership. We go a lot and certainly get our money's worth. Pack a lunch and spend the day for "free" over and over and over again. We do this at many of the places we like to go and go often. There are cheaper memberships if you want but ours covers it all plus we get show passes, guest passes, and discounts if you buy things there. Just a thought!

Old 05-28-2009, 08:17 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,194,898 times
Anytime when someone mention that Chicagoland is expensive, another person always mention the Coastal cities and states. The thing is Chicagoland nor Illinois is coastal and nowhere near the coast. I bet you the one of the main reasons why NYC, LA, and San Francisco are so expensive is because its on the Coast. Ocean or large body of water build up real estate in America. So compare to Inland cities in America, Chicagoland is above average.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:14 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,342,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyscooby View Post
Well I think I am going to stay in IL and suck it up. I know people who live in Vegas now, but they grew up in IL. They LOVE it and would never move back. They have really good, secure jobs and said they always wanted to get out of the cold and live around palm trees.
I guess it's all about what you want out of life. Personally, I need grass, but I do love palm trees!

It's true, if you have a good job (where ever it may be) thats what counts because that will pay the bills. So moving out of state just to fill a void might not be the best decision, unless a great opportunity is lined up. Im almost 30 and I would probably miss MID WEST living.....................thats what tropical vacations are for!

funny to see this thread and what I posted a year ago. I haven't been back here to city data much since then. I since moved to Texas. I work in San Antonio and live between SA and Austin.

I'm single, and as predicted, I do prefer being single here, dating is more fun and interesting and I like the nightlife options and the outdoors here. Overall, a good fit for me.

But I agree with you 100% at this stage in life....a good job makes a heck of a lot of difference. I have a good income here but if it were to stagnate another year or two I would reconsider my options....happened to notice an excellent opportunity in Madison, WI....so, thoughts of coming home still cross my mind but I agree....right now its more about career advancement and balancing that with social opportunities, family and where I want to be vs. places I know I don't want to be.

Good luck. ps. I want to go home for a visit! So, that is what some vacation time is for now!

Old 05-28-2009, 11:26 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
My wife and i being retired we can live where we please so we moved from Chicago down to Lexington Kentucky three years ago. Now we're back.

Yeah, living is cheaper down there but so what? The quality of life is lower and at this stage of the game I'd rather spend more dough and live a more interesting life.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:01 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,939,362 times
No. I've been to almost every part of the country and I would never move. Of course I'd love to live in Santa Barbara or San Diego when winter comes around but its not going to happen. Too expensive. Most of my friends and family that moved out of state came back. My mom lived in FL for a couple of years but missed the midwest and could not stand the damp and mold down there for her lungs. I'll stick in good ole IL. And take some nice vacations in a warm place in winter.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:55 AM

718 posts, read 2,079,108 times
The ideal living situation would be to find the place you absolutely love and then find a way to support your lifestyle there. But we find a job, then stay in an area we don't like because of the job. One day, we wake up...kids are gone, friends have moved and we are still stuck in the same miserable place we began it all. Job is also gone by then.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:29 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,342,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKK View Post
The ideal living situation would be to find the place you absolutely love and then find a way to support your lifestyle there. But we find a job, then stay in an area we don't like because of the job. One day, we wake up...kids are gone, friends have moved and we are still stuck in the same miserable place we began it all. Job is also gone by then.
It would seem that way....and I think its true to an extent. I think we need to find a happy medium, a place that is livable and vibrant and still a part of the real world (at least for me and I think most younger people and working age people that need to feel a "part of the world"). This happy medium exists for me in my area of Texas, in the Chicago area, in places in California, and probably some others that I have not experienced. But I tend to prefer west over east so I think those are definitley my top 3 choices that I know work for me.

However, I still think Southwest Florida is a paradise....and I did move there...and I did find work there, and I could have stayed there and built my life there. I HATED working there!!!! It was like having to work on vacation!

I decided there are just a few places I like to keep as a fantasy land...a place where work just doesn't pollute my ideas of a place!

Also, it wasn't vibrant like the 3 places I mentioned....as a working person I feel a desire to be around other people and places where things are happening and there is "work" to do....but maybe that is just me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs