Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 09:35 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,560,593 times

Advertisements

We moved to Houston and have not come back. Houston is no Chicago, but obviously an area of 6 to 7 million is going to have a lot to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 02:37 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Houston is no Chicago, but obviously an area of 6 to 7 million is going to have a lot to offer.
Yes, including being the only major city infested with all four poisonous snake species native to The United States.

Old 05-30-2009, 04:34 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,160,089 times
Need to know if one can achieve same income in other regions

For most w/high incomes, income tax rates mean far more than silly stuff like property, sales, etc taxes

CT has a 5% inc tx rate; CA is ~10%; NYC is ~13%...IL 3%; TX 0%

But residential land in desirable areas of Chic (Eastern LF/Winnetka)/Dall(HP/PrestonHollow)/Hou (RiverOaks/Memorial)/Detroit (BloomfieldHills) is far more costly than similar land in elite "coastal" places like Greenwich CT or Woodside CA

Lots of "false economies" out there....would choose a place based upon career opportunities and QOL....COL is fairly similar in any elite suburbs of any major city....CA weather/topography/produce can't be easily priced though

Old 05-30-2009, 09:52 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Yes, including being the only major city infested with all four poisonous snake species native to The United States.
There are dozens upon dozens of venomous snake species in the USA, and places like Houston are home to several, but pale in comparison to what Phoenix, Vegas, SoCal, etc, have to deal with.

Heck, places in Southern Illinois have 4 venomous species around (cottonmouth, copperhead, Eastern massasauga rattler, timber rattler). There are venomous snakes in Lake County and DuPage as well (Eastern massasauga rattlesnakes). A year or two ago a dog was bitten by one up in Lake County and people were all shocked for some reason. Do a little research and youll find that venomous snakes were very prevalent all over Illinois, but their habitat has sadly been destroyed from over-development.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:29 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,340,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Need to know if one can achieve same income in other regions

For most w/high incomes, income tax rates mean far more than silly stuff like property, sales, etc taxes

CT has a 5% inc tx rate; CA is ~10%; NYC is ~13%...IL 3%; TX 0%

But residential land in desirable areas of Chic (Eastern LF/Winnetka)/Dall(HP/PrestonHollow)/Hou (RiverOaks/Memorial)/Detroit (BloomfieldHills) is far more costly than similar land in elite "coastal" places like Greenwich CT or Woodside CA

Lots of "false economies" out there....would choose a place based upon career opportunities and QOL....COL is fairly similar in any elite suburbs of any major city....CA weather/topography/produce can't be easily priced though
I coluld make a better salary in CA. Actually, I was offered a position in California and Texas at the same time. When I factored in the 10% income tax in CA vs. the 0% in TX the higher salary in CA was actualy lower. Plus, I work for a great company that stashes 10% of my income into my 401k without me contributing at all. (that is on top of my salary, not out of my salary). So, it was a win for me. Texas salaries are a little lower, I think than Illinois or Cali but not by much from what I can tell.

Real estate, is however much lower. Even with property taxes, doesn't come close to being an issue. I'm still renting right now (rents however, are comparable to up north though you get a little more for what you pay for). I almost bought a condo and I could not have dreamt of getting the same thing in chicago that I was about to buy in San Antonio. However, there are some very expensive places here too that I would not dream of getting...

You can live pretty well here on the same income ....though that is something I could see changing quickly in the next 10 years as everyone moves to Texas.

I like having control over my money though. You can find cheap places to live in CA and Illinois if you rent. But if they are taking 10% of your income right off the top and you never see it...you lose that control of your money right there.

I will say....there are some obvious things lacking in Texas I would attribute to the lack of state income tax.....roads and infrastructure being not the greatest would be one. Also a lack of public space though there are some very nice state parks, they cost $6 to get into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs