Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2008, 01:01 PM

10 posts, read 35,467 times

Advertisements

Is Wadsworth considered Waukegan and do the same concerns apply? I'm buying a home/condo for the first time and I'm trying to get the real scoop. I'm also looking at Lake Bluff. Can you help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 02:36 PM

44 posts, read 232,703 times
Hi Sarah_Lynn,

Wadsworth is actually considered a very nice area and by no means could be compared with Waukegan. If I were looking at buying a condo, I would definitely choose Wadsworth over Waukegan, just for the school districts alone. Now, this might not be an issue for you, but it could become an issue if you ever have to sell your place. Wadsworth encompasses a fairly large area. In my opinion, the best school district in the area would be Millburn.

I think that some of Wadsworth might be in Beach Park school district and potentially Woodland or Gurnee. Maybe someone who lives in those areas will be able to comment more.

I don't know enough about Lake Bluff to comment (although I used to work there), sorry! I would think that it would be all about where you work, commute time, and how much home you can get for your money. Good luck with your search.

Old 02-29-2008, 03:19 PM

Thanks for the reply kmwheel. I'm thrilled to hear your input about Wadsworth. I can't wait to go condo hunting on Saturday. I currently live in the city and can't wait for a little bit more of nature.

Old 03-01-2008, 04:03 PM

56 posts, read 214,831 times
Wadsworth is a very nice area. One area (Midlane Club, with condos and houses) I believe is technically within Waukegan city limits, but is still a nice area and is generally considered to be part of Wadsworth. The less-than-desirable areas associated with Waukegan are mostly on the other end of town.

Based on your other post, I think you would be very happy in Wadsworth. Gurnee schools are supposed to be among the better ones in the far north area, and parts of Wadsworth including Midlane are in the Gurnee school district. There are also extensive forest preserves and parks within and near Wadsworth.

However, you need to remember that the commute time to downtown Chicago from Wadsworth or any of the other places you mentioned can be long at any time because of the distance, and will be particularly lengthy at rush hour (someone else can probably be more specific). I don't think I would want to do that trip daily. I think that Wadsworth is probably closer & an easier commute than McHenry or Woodstock though. Keep in mind also that the Metra trains have various stops in the north and northwest suburbs that you can use to commute downtown or go downtown on the weekend.

Old 03-02-2008, 10:46 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,342,405 times
I agree about Wadsworth. I used to work around there and had a job that required me to drive down every single street in that area (fun!). I was very impressed with Wadsworth....it has a vibe that is similiar to Barrington, lots of horses and stately homes tucked away down long driveways. The downtown is really neat and small, like going back in time. Its really not like Waukegan, its just what some might consider unfortunatley located to the problems that Waukegan has. I think the biggest benefit to picking Wadsworth would be proximity to Lake Michigan if you like what that has to offer (Illinois State Beach has so sadly declined in my lifetime...but the north part is still pretty nice and the Kenoshsa lake front has some nice paths for walking and binking, also there is a nice marina in Winthrop Harbor).

I like Wadsworth, but I dont know of many condo opportunities? It seems like a place of large homes and horses....maybe that has changed too!?

anyway, I think you are looking in all the right places.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:06 AM

I believe I have landed on Wadsworth. I did some homework and went to check out the MidLane countryclub townhomes. GREAT DEALS! 1724+ sq. ft. for under 200K. I am so excited.

RGB123, I love the water too, but i'm more of a land (hiking, biking, horses) daily goer but I can't wait to check out the water. I'm just used to North Avenue Beach. Lots to look at but I'm so over the pick-up joints and bar scene. You'd think I was 50 and not 31. LOL.

code10t, I appreciate your advise on the schools and commute. Commute time was a major concern for me. I checked it out and it's 45 minutes to Chicago. I think the trade-off to the trails and nature will be worth it. I'm going for it.

See you out there!

Old 03-03-2008, 11:45 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,342,405 times
So funny! I often wonder if I am 50 year old trapped in a 30 year old's body too! I am so excited for you, Wadsworth is really neat and if it wasn't so far from my work I'd consider it as well!! I'm glad you found a townhome cause that would have been my biggest concern in that area, best wishes!! Oh...and yes I admit that I sometimes wondered if I was too isolated out in the great north...but I have just found its about the same, it all depends on the effort you put into it. I like things like meetup.com if I want to make an extra effort to meet people....sadly though, the 50 year old in me seems perfectly content most of the time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs