Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 10:08 AM

748 posts, read 833,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kind Of Town View Post
Looks like he didn’t move quickly enough. House is now contingent...
Indeed - anything in the area under $400K goes very quickly. And it's just going to snowball. I've said this before: as long as the properties are not in flood zone areas (which means builders won't compete for the site) the land alone on a 60x220 lot is almost always $375-400K.

I have a feeling more will start to pop up. An MLS search of homes in the last year shows that 1.5 BA houses in DG ranged from 375-460.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 01:16 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Default Contingent does not equal sold...

Quote:
Looks like he didn’t move quickly enough. House is now contingent...

While I am happy for the seller I would not assume that this is a "slam dunk" to close quickly. Given the likely result of any inspection alerting clueless buyers that this is NOT a legal three bedroom, but in fact a two bedroom with a non-conforming basement space being used for habitation it would not be a surprise to see folks walk away. It may even fall to pass lender's appraisal.

Seller should take back-up offers...

Old 02-21-2018, 02:20 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,189,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
While I am happy for the seller I would not assume that this is a "slam dunk" to close quickly. Given the likely result of any inspection alerting clueless buyers that this is NOT a legal three bedroom, but in fact a two bedroom with a non-conforming basement space being used for habitation it would not be a surprise to see folks walk away. It may even fall to pass lender's appraisal.

Even if it is only considered a two bedroom as is, I think a sale price of $360-370k is fair for that location. Just based on land value alone. Also looks like it sold for $327k in 2014 and the current owners made quite a few upgrades over the past four years so that’s another data point to reference in cost valuation.

Old 02-21-2018, 02:33 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,990,757 times
Quote:

I'm really curious why you think that wouldn't "pass" a lender's appraisal. I'm not even sure what you mean by that. Value? Condition? Something else?

I'm in the business and I look at appraisals every day. The basement square footage will not be counted in the total sq ft, and the appraisal will list it as a 2 br. but will notate the living space in the basement. If that bedroom is not a legal bedroom, then it won't be listed as a bedroom on the appraisal. If there are really similar comps with similar setups that sold for a similar price, then it will likely appraise out. If there are sort of similar comps that the appraiser can use and make good adjustments, same thing. If it is overpriced for the neighborhood, it won't. I don't keep up with the Downers Grove market.

Based on the photos, it doesn't look like there would be condition issues that would make the property unacceptable to a lender.

I have seen some really "interesting" photos and comments in appraisals, one of which referred to a "pungent black substance" on a wall in the basement below a leaky bathtub.

Old 02-21-2018, 02:51 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,254,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
I'm really curious why you think that wouldn't "pass" a lender's appraisal. I'm not even sure what you mean by that. Value? Condition? Something else?

I'm in the business and I look at appraisals every day. The basement square footage will not be counted in the total sq ft, and the appraisal will list it as a 2 br. but will notate the living space in the basement. If that bedroom is not a legal bedroom, then it won't be listed as a bedroom on the appraisal. If there are really similar comps with similar setups that sold for a similar price, then it will likely appraise out. If there are sort of similar comps that the appraiser can use and make good adjustments, same thing. If it is overpriced for the neighborhood, it won't. I don't keep up with the Downers Grove market.

Based on the photos, it doesn't look like there would be condition issues that would make the property unacceptable to a lender.

I have seen some really "interesting" photos and comments in appraisals, one of which referred to a "pungent black substance" on a wall in the basement below a leaky bathtub.
Yup. Agreed.

AFAIK, you look at recent comps and move on <shrug>.

Old 02-21-2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post

This is the best, most recent comp that my friend’s realtor found and the sale price appears to be in line with the contingent property...

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Downers-Gr.../home/17108851

Old 02-21-2018, 04:09 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,254,863 times
Quote:
This is the best, most recent comp that my friend’s realtor found and the sale price appears to be in line with the contingent property...

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Downers-Gr.../home/17108851
That home certainly has the charm factor vs the other one. Nice.

(Someone finish that basement ceiling already!

Old 02-21-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
That home certainly has the charm factor vs the other one. Nice.

(Someone finish that basement ceiling already!
Certainly but it also sits on a smaller lot and directly abuts Warren Ave (in fact, has a Warren address). I imagine those two things hurt it’s value slightly.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:14 PM

748 posts, read 833,659 times
Not everybody's style, but I still like this one:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4.../4564334_zpid/

Of course the house to the north is likely to be torn down and rebuilt.

Old 02-22-2018, 08:52 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,990,972 times
Quote:

I really don't understand your hate for that house. Even a slightly competent Realtor would have told anyone buying the house that the third bedroom wasn't a legal one. I mean, really. I would have done that and I basically don't use my license at all.

Also, at the end of the day, whether a bedroom is legal or not doesn't even matter to a lot of people. Many people want an office, man cave, craft room, play room etc., and a room that isn't a legal bedroom is perfect for that. Heck, we're putting a play room in our basement. It's not a legal bedroom (no window), but a future buyer could use it as a guest room and no one's going to stop them from doing that.

I just don't get it... It appears that at least one buyer out there sees value in the house though, which does not surprise me. Also, inspections are part of almost every real estate transaction. Yes, deals fall apart due to inspection issues, but more often the parties agree on fixes and things move forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs