Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2008, 11:46 PM

73 posts, read 201,405 times

Advertisements

I am moving to the schaumburg area and have narrowed my apartment choices down to three. 1. 12 Oaks of Schaumburg, 2. Remmington Place and 3. The Lakes of Schaumburg. Does anyone have an opinion on the three???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 01:31 PM

6 posts, read 12,717 times
I am actually looking at a couple of those too. Any information on any of them?

Old 04-04-2008, 01:41 PM

545 posts, read 2,043,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samma View Post
I am moving to the schaumburg area and have narrowed my apartment choices down to three. 1. 12 Oaks of Schaumburg, 2. Remmington Place and 3. The Lakes of Schaumburg. Does anyone have an opinion on the three???
e

REPLY: I cant help you with specific info on these, but, being Schaumburg and the upscale area it is, it would be hard to go wrong unless you run across the occasional difficult next door neighbor making noise, etc...

What concerns do you have as an apartment renter in Schaumburg ?

Old 04-04-2008, 03:27 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default Upscale?

There are parts of Schaumburg that I would steer ANYONE away from. I don't have first hand of any of those developments but here are some useful ways to check out any apartment complexes that you are considering:

#1 Get there REALLY early on a weekday morning. Does the parking lot clear out with people heading to construction/outdoor jobs? They'll be home early and grab all the good parking, be subject to work slow downs, are known to party more than you average librarian, etc. If the lot empties out a wee bit later with people heading to office jobs this is a better sign. A lot that never empties out is either retirees (can be ok) or unemployed loads (never a good thing).

#2 Cars in parking lot. Does it look like a storage lot for "The Fast & the Furious IV" or more like typical "old people" cars? You know what kind of crowd goes with one vs the other.

#3 Proximately to bars/liquor stores. While this is not as reliable, I do think there is correlation between how far one has to go to find cheap dive bars and package stores and how likely one is to over indulge. Nothing worse than drunk neighbors that you have to call the cops on... (most towns will NOT directly tell you where the bad apartments are, but sometimes you can read the "police blotter" online and/or politely ask the local police if they have any 'trouble sports" -- works best when you 'casually' run into them at the 7-11/WhiteHen closest to the apartment...

Beside that the other obvious stuff is: how easy is to hear through the doors/walls/ceilings. How narrow are the stairways (ah the joy of wedging a kingsize bed up five stories of 36" wide stairs), how smelly the garbage is (WHAT? my neighbor butchers goats EVERY night?), how dimmly light the parking lot/hallway/common areas are (some landlords must do everything the opposite of McGruff the Crime Dog).

Ask for the utility estimates too. Ideally get 'em from a tenant -- every leasing manager will tell you can heat/cool the place for less a quarter-pounder value meal at McDonalds, but they seem to forget that is only for the "nice weather month" (which is like May & September...)

Old 04-04-2008, 06:19 PM

One of the apartments is on Roselle between Golf and 90. How is that area?

THanks

Old 04-04-2008, 06:55 PM

545 posts, read 2,043,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarisnchevy View Post
One of the apartments is on Roselle between Golf and 90. How is that area?

THanks
REPLY: Its a busy area of schaumburg with traffic. Could be noisy from traffic on Roselle rd. and from I-90 . Convenient though .... get on I-90 right at Roselle Rd , Route 53 a mile away, I-290 a few miles south , Elgin Expressway a few miles south, excellent shopping , outdoor concerts in the summertime, etc. Theres probably cheaper rent than Schaumburg if youre willing to drive a bit more.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:20 PM

I am going more on location than price so this sounds good. Thanks for the info.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:33 PM

4 posts, read 9,804 times
Chet- I just felt compelled to add that I loved your apartment search tips.

Old 04-06-2008, 01:03 PM

73 posts, read 201,405 times
I have decided on 12 Oaks....I like the 2 floor design, and it was the nicest inside. I am from out of state so I can't really go and look again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs