Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 12:17 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,053,895 times

Advertisements

What suburb could you live in that gives you as close to a city experience as possible?

Here are ways of determining this

Population density
Proximity to public transportation (bus and rail)
Nightlife options and singles
Job opportunities

There are more I am sure but those are the main ones. Off the top of my head I will list:

Evanston
Oak Park
Hammond
Whiting
Naperville
Schaumburg

Ok so the first 3 are obviously peripheral so that factors into it a lot. Depending on where you are you can get the feeling that you didn't actually ever leave the city when you're in these. The last 3 are not peripheral but nonetheless have an infrastructure close enough to the city where one can feel connected and at the same time feel like they can stay in their suburb and find things to do.

I also list Hammond and Whiting because of their periphery to Hyde Park and also because even though they are close to a post-industrial region of the city they still have a close relationship to the city in that they can function as far out neighborhoods even if their nightlife options are weak (then again aren't they also in Evanston and Oak Park?)

What are yours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 12:20 PM

37 posts, read 55,732 times
Lincolnwood, berwyn, maywood, Bellwood, Skokie, oak park.

Old 02-01-2017, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayubimope View Post
Lincolnwood, berwyn, maywood, Bellwood, Skokie, oak park.
Forgot about Lincolnwood. But is there a train that runs through it?

Old 02-01-2017, 12:32 PM

201 posts, read 278,246 times
As far as nightlife, singles, pop density, and public transit, I think it would be hard to argue that Evanston and Oak Park are not the most "city-like" suburbs. They are more "city-like", which of course is subjective, than many parts of the actual city.

Hammond and Whiting I would say are in many ways indistinguishable from parts of the city, such as Hegewisch, but they don't have cta access or any nightlife or singles scene. Having cta access seems to tie in to the nightlife/singles aspect because it makes it easily accessible even if it is not nearby. I get that they are close (30 min drive) to Hyde Park, but can you elaborate on that point? I don't see any commonality between the two places and doubt that many people go from one to the other regularly.

I think Berwyn and Cicero might be a not-so-close second to Evanston and Oak Park based on their cta access, almost indistinguishable housing stock and density from the city, and access to jobs and social scene downtown thanks to the cta.

Not saying Schaumburg and Naperville aren't great places with lots of amenities, but in my opinion that have very little in common with city living and don't fit the bill as giving "as close to a city experience as possible", as you said in your post.

Old 02-01-2017, 12:33 PM

Should have added Norridge and Harwood Heights, those are essentially just the Northwest side, blue line nearby, etc.

Old 02-01-2017, 01:25 PM

166 posts, read 357,605 times
Naperville
Schaumburg

Those two are the furthest from a "Chicago City Experience" as you can get.

Old 02-01-2017, 02:54 PM

Wanted to explain that my inclusion of Naperville and Schaumburg have to do with density and public transportation.

Suburbs suck for nightlife so it's more of "can I get to city fun stuff from the burbs". Also Hammond and Whiting are close to a train station that takes you into the city itself.

Old 02-01-2017, 02:58 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,479,741 times
La Grange, IL

Old 02-02-2017, 08:08 AM

37 posts, read 55,732 times
Lol naperville and Schaumburg can't compare to berwyn at all...

Old 02-02-2017, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayubimope View Post
Lol naperville and Schaumburg can't compare to berwyn at all...
Not sure if that is sarcasm? Berwyn is undoubtedly more "city" than either Naperville or Schaumburg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs