Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 12:14 PM

4 posts, read 17,233 times

Advertisements

My fiance is a Gov't Service accountant and has been transferred to the VA Hospital in Hines, IL. For the time being, I'm stuck in Cedar Rapids, IA looking for a suitable job in Chicago.

In the meantime, my fiance wants to find a place to herself (e.g., apartment) that she can afford (about $800/mo). I am very concerned about her safety but she wants to live fairly close to Hines since she believes she will have to commute by car.

I have read many of the threads on the western suburbs and have looked up the city data for many of them. We are still very confused about where to look during an upcoming trip to find a place for her to live.

Considering commute times, affordability of rent for her own place, and her personal safety, can anyone recommend places we should look in? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 12:40 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,725,428 times
Riverside or Brookfield are both pretty good, safe suburbs. You can probably find a one bedroom apartment in either suburb for around $800, but tack on a little extra for electricity and cable. Commute from either suburb will run 15-30 minutes each way to the VA, so it isn't bad. Plus you are close to downtown Chicago and a lot of other suburbs so you might be able to find something as well. These suburbs are pretty centrally located.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:04 PM

Thank you, chitown85. In my occupation (systems engineering on defense electonics systems), I'm most likely to find a job in or near Schaumburg. But when I move, I'll likely have to get my own place (hers probably won't be big enough for $800 and she'll be stuck in a lease) so I also don't want too much distance/time between our places.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:18 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
I think chitown is correct. The VA site at Hines is quite central and adjacent to a huge medical complex that includes another State of IL facility, Loyola University Hospital and some supporting facilities. There is a big National Guard / Reserve facility behind it too. It is pretty safe if not exactly in garden spot.

Commuting by car is the way to go, and barring complete weather disaster you can easily get to most suburbs in Eastern DuPage or Western Cook in well under 30 minutes -- Roosevelt Rd and Cermack Rd / 22nd Street are very large high volume arterials. Going north on 1st Ave can be a pain, as sections are poorly laid out with railroad tracks and stop lights, but that is not uncommon.

In addition to the already mentioned Riverside and Brookfield the options include Hillside, LaGrange, LaGrange Park, Westchester, Oak Brook, Oakbrook Terrace, Elmhurst, Villa Park, Hinsdale, Westmont to the west, where rents in your range might be harder to find, as well as Forest Park and Berwyn to the east, to the north you'd be OK in Melrose Park, River Forest, Elmwood Park or Oak Park . Lots of things to consider, but there are definitely some parts of the more affordable towns that have some rougher areas. Special note -- in general you probably would be OK in Maywood, which almost surrounds the VA but it has a poor reputation due to the circumstances of its lack of integration and under performing schools.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:09 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,323,498 times
I did a fellowship at Hines VA. It's a nice (huge!) facility. They even have their own bowling alley somewhere in there and their own fire department. I believe it's in a zipcode all its own. Anyways, the closest safe neighborhoods would be Riverside or Brookfield. LaGrange Park too, although there is one Section 8 rental complex that has a bit of crime associated with it. Just don't rent at that complex. Westchester would be another option. I personally would stay FAR away from Maywood, especially as a female.

All those towns will get her to the VA within 15 minutes commute... very easy! She could also look for a month to month lease.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:21 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
I was about to correct you that you meant "fiancee," the woman you plan to marry. "Fiance" being the man you plan to marry. But recent dictionaries don't list that distinction.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:08 PM

Thank you, chet and whatyousay, for the information. We'll probably concentrate, for now, on Riverside and Brookfield although we're thinking La Grange and La Grange Park also. In La Grange Park, we're considering the Homestead apartments. Anyone know if that's a Section 8 complex?

Also, we're thinking of staying in Oakbrook Terrace from March 18-21 to look at the places we come up with. Is that a good central spot to scout from? Any suggestions on how to spot the "rougher areas" of the above-mentioned suburbs?

Old 03-10-2010, 04:47 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Crime stats are on line, and the visual clues are pretty obvious in most places -- east edge of Oak Park is much shabbier than central / western portion.

Oakbrook Terrace is fine spot for hotel stay, Roosevelt is straight shot to VA hospital. Mostly strip malls and chain / diner restaurants but Oak Brook itself has a high end mall with a lot of shopping and dining options.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:09 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,323,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewhit View Post
Thank you, chet and whatyousay, for the information. We'll probably concentrate, for now, on Riverside and Brookfield although we're thinking La Grange and La Grange Park also. In La Grange Park, we're considering the Homestead apartments. Anyone know if that's a Section 8 complex?

Also, we're thinking of staying in Oakbrook Terrace from March 18-21 to look at the places we come up with. Is that a good central spot to scout from? Any suggestions on how to spot the "rougher areas" of the above-mentioned suburbs?
Stay FAR away from Homestead apartments!! Those are the Section 8 ones I mentioned!! Well, those and Forest Glen. Anywhere else would be fine. Staying in OBT is perfectly central. You'll be just a bit west of the towns. Other than those apartment complexes, there really aren't any other 'bad' sections of any of those towns other than a very small strip between East Ave and the railroad tracks which separate La Grange and Brookfield. Even that isn't really a bad area, just slight more run down. Good luck!

ETA: Here's a link to one of our local papers that lists rentals in these areas. http://www.mysuburbanlife.com/lagrangepark

Last edited by AuDiBelle; 03-10-2010 at 06:36 PM..

Old 03-11-2010, 02:23 PM

Should we consider North Riverside? My fiance found four affordable North Riverside apartments in the link whatyousay provided. The crime index is very high. But it looks like mostly thefts. Is that mostly shoplifting at the mall? Is it advisable to live near a mall? Thank you!

p.s. My fiance also found quite a few Brookfield, Hindsdale, La Grange Park, La Grange, and Riverside listings of affordable apartments in the link whatyousay provided.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs