Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2010, 10:44 AM

1 posts, read 2,918 times

Advertisements

I'm a 22-year old Jewish male from New Jersey who just accepted a job in Northbrook. Train commute from downtown Chicago doesn't seem feasible. Any suggestions on where a 20-something should live? I can pay $1,000 or so for rent. I figure I'll have to buy a car, so parking is an issue. Wrigleyville? Lincoln Park? Lakeview? Evanston? Would any of the northwest suburbs be appropriate for a 22-year-old looking for a social life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 12:37 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,729,505 times
For a Jewish male of your age group, you need to live in the city providing you want to meet other Jewish males/females with similar interests. The suburbs are pretty boring and you will not make the same social acquantainces. There are areas of northwest suburbs such as Schaumburg and Arlington Heights that have social scenes, but nothing compared to Chicago and not Jewish. I know the people on this board will debate me, but I can tell you that outside of the city, there are few venues for Jewish guys/girls this age. The majority of young professional Jewish people live in the city, whether it be downtown or on the north side.

If you live in Wrigleyville, street parking is available depending on the street, but you will have to get a city permit. Evanston and Lincoln Park you will probably have to buy a spot in your building due to the traffic and amount of people living there. The commute to Northbrook could range from 30 minutes to over 60, depending on traffic and weather.

Keep in mind rents in small buildings in Wrigleyville are cheaper than downtown and also cheaper than many apartment complexes in the suburbs. I know of people that found 1 bedrooms from $800- $850 or $900 in good buldings.

PM me with further questions.

Old 03-10-2010, 12:53 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,421,872 times
How important is the Jewish thing? If you are especially devoted to a particular synagogue that might be a factor, as the north suburbs have some pretty active congregations, though the focus tends to be more on families than singles...

I agree that it would be difficult to count on train service even if your employer offers a shuttle (which a of the larger firms handful do have) that might not be practical. Driving from the City is not uncommon, but it is a lengthy commute at times due to the combination of distance and lack of alternatives to the crowded expressways. Straightline distance to Northbrook's employment centers may be a bit closer to Evanston than to popular north side city neighborhoods, but the extra strain of surface streets would not improve commute times...

Just to give a "ballpark" heh estimate of getting from the major employment in Northbrook near Willow Rd and 294 to the heart of Wrigleyville is about 20 miles. The google estimate of approximately 50 mins seems optimistic except in times of rather light traffic. Wrigley Field to Unknown road - Google Maps

A housing budget of $1000 is not unreasonable and if you shop for a car think "cheap, used, hard to steal" as you will probably end up parking on street in that price range and winter will put some ugly on the car fast...

Old 03-10-2010, 02:59 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,690,848 times
While Lincoln Park/Lakeview are great, the big drawback is that parking can be impossible. Dedicated spots are expensive. That's the main thing I'd be aware of.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:07 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,919,106 times
Commuting from downtown to Northbrook on Metra's Milwaukee-North trains may be more feasible than you think. Traffic on the inbound Edens gets backed up pretty quick during evening rush, so driving that trip is less feasible. The North suburbs don't have much for a young single. But since you are Jewish, you may find suitable activities in Buffalo Grove or Wheeling. Check out the JCC's in the area if so inclined.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:42 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,729,505 times
The north shore and NW suburban congregations are generally for young families and older individuals. There isn't much in the way of events for young singles. Even in Buffalo Grove it's either high school age students, seniors, or families. If you are a Jewish young professional, you want to be in the city or in Evanston. I think the 50 minute commute each way, which is not unreasonable for Chicagoland, is a welcome trade off.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:46 PM

374 posts, read 1,037,062 times
Look at Bucktown or Wicker Park. You will be closer to the expressway (in NJ, you would call them highways!). I have several friends who commute to Northbrook/Glenview area every day from Bucktown. Although the commute is annoying, living in the burbs would be worse, in my opinion.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:40 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,422,608 times
Sadly, I'm going to have to agree on this one. Unlike in NY / NJ, we don't have a Hoboken just across from the city. Evanston is decent, but it really lacks in the nightlife department compared to the city. However, I'd still consider it. Look at the city neighborhoods and see if it's do-able. If you're going to ride the Milwaukee North (Metra), maybe even look into the West Loop. If you're going to drive, try to get as close to the expressway as possible. Bucktown / Wicker Park is prime for a near north neighborhood. Further north might be a better bet, however to get you closer to the nasty Edens / Kennedy junction (90/94). From some far northern city neighborhoods, you can take side streets to try and avoid the junction altogether, and just get on the 94 Edens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
For a Jewish male of your age group, you need to live in the city providing you want to meet other Jewish males/females with similar interests. The suburbs are pretty boring and you will not make the same social acquantainces. There are areas of northwest suburbs such as Schaumburg and Arlington Heights that have social scenes, but nothing compared to Chicago and not Jewish. I know the people on this board will debate me, but I can tell you that outside of the city, there are few venues for Jewish guys/girls this age. The majority of young professional Jewish people live in the city, whether it be downtown or on the north side.

If you live in Wrigleyville, street parking is available depending on the street, but you will have to get a city permit. Evanston and Lincoln Park you will probably have to buy a spot in your building due to the traffic and amount of people living there. The commute to Northbrook could range from 30 minutes to over 60, depending on traffic and weather.

Keep in mind rents in small buildings in Wrigleyville are cheaper than downtown and also cheaper than many apartment complexes in the suburbs. I know of people that found 1 bedrooms from $800- $850 or $900 in good buldings.

PM me with further questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs