Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 09:26 PM

71 posts, read 268,260 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are currently renting in Oak Park, but are looking to buy our first house. With such high taxes, there's no way to afford to stay. It's a shame because I grew up there and feel like part of the community.

We started looking in Berwyn. I love the old houses, but am worried about the quality of the schools. We don't have kids yet, but are planning way ahead (I'm a teacher)! I love that Berwyn schools have a large Hispanic population, but at the same time am concerned about such low test scores and high free and reduced lunch rates.

We're also looking in Brookfield. It seems very cute, but a lot of the houses we've driven by are in various states of disrepair. It will be harder to find the type of house we want at our price, but the schools are supposed to be very good. We also love Brookfield's proximity to LaGrange.

Can anyone fill us in on Brookfield and Berwyn or recommend other affordable Oak Park like suburbs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 10:15 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,392,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia220 View Post
My husband and I are currently renting in Oak Park, but are looking to buy our first house. With such high taxes, there's no way to afford to stay. It's a shame because I grew up there and feel like part of the community.

We started looking in Berwyn. I love the old houses, but am worried about the quality of the schools. We don't have kids yet, but are planning way ahead (I'm a teacher)! I love that Berwyn schools have a large Hispanic population, but at the same time am concerned about such low test scores and high free and reduced lunch rates.

We're also looking in Brookfield. It seems very cute, but a lot of the houses we've driven by are in various states of disrepair. It will be harder to find the type of house we want at our price, but the schools are supposed to be very good. We also love Brookfield's proximity to LaGrange.

Can anyone fill us in on Brookfield and Berwyn or recommend other affordable Oak Park like suburbs?
My wife and I moved here from Oak Park about 5 years ago and really like it. It's safe, convenient, and close to everything! And you do get a lot of house for your money. I think the schools tend to get sometimes unfair sweeping condemnation. The schools in District 100, particularly Emerson and Irving, aren't all that bad and have been improving. They actually outscored some Oak Park schools on last year's ISAT.

That being said, Morton West High School isn't considered an option by many parents (not without reason sadly) and a somewhat high percentage of the more affluent residents of Berwyn send their kids to private schools at the grade and middle school level -- St. Mary in Riverside and St. Leonard in Berwyn primarily. Both are very good and that's what we're looking at for when the time comes. We've long thought a quality private education which offers exposure to diversity is the best way to go. It's going to be more expensive but we feel it will be worth it. That at least partly explains the higher relative percentages of lower income students in the public schools here.

Good news is that a group of residents formed Berwyn C.A.R.E.S. (Citizens Aligned to Renew Education for students) last year. The group is pretty motivated and is doing things to improve the education picture in Berwyn, including the examination of an all-Berwyn unit school district and the possibility of magnet schools. I think that, coupled with gentrification, will lead to solid improvements in the schools over time. It won't be an overnight transformation, but at least it's very much on the radar here now, for the first time in a long time. I'd have to say the prospect for long term improvement looks decent.

Anyway, hope that helps you. Type "Berwyn" into the search feature and you'll get plenty more. There's been a few threads on it relatively recently. Brookfield is a solid community too and we looked at it also but, like you, we weren't particularly impressed with the housing stock there. The temptation of a beautiful Chicago Bungalow was too great In any case, good luck!

Old 03-02-2008, 10:21 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,844,666 times
Check out Elmwood Park. It's between Harlem and Thatcher. It's south edge is North Avenue. Very close to Oak Park. On a good day, you can walk there easily. River Forest borders the south edge of Elmwood Park. Nice community with self contained school district.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:12 PM

11,973 posts, read 31,635,920 times
I always think of Mobsters when I think of Elmwood Park. Is this being unfair? It's got such a 1950s Italian feel to it with all of the banquet halls and family style restaurants (I love Armand's Pizza on Grand).

How does Elmwood Park compare to River Grove? Both seem about the same to me. I definitely prefer Berwyn to both of these options, but have less familiarity with Brookfield. One benefit to Brookfield is that it shares a high school with somewhat upscale Riverside.

Old 03-03-2008, 02:23 PM

111 posts, read 379,673 times
Thats a tough call between Brookfield and Berwyn. On the one hand, the housing stock in Berwyn (particularly the southwest area) is superior to Brookfield. However, Brookfield high school kids go to Riverside Brookfield or Lyons Township, which are both good schools. If I was picking on housing alone, I'd go with Berwyn.

The nicest part of Brookfield is the Hollywood section, which borders the section of Riverside west of 1st Avenue and the Zoo. The rest of Brookfield is fairly typical inner-ring Chicago suburb--perhaps a bit more rundown than one would expect. It seems to me that there are some areas of Brookfield that are getting a bit sketchy, so you should--before making an offer--check out any property you are interested in a few times, day and night.

Also, although they are not "Oak Park-like," you may want to look at LaGrange Park and North Riverside. These communities both have low taxes, solid housing (although small lots) and good schools. If you do any independant research, you will discover that North Riverside has an absurdly high crime rate--don't be too disturbed by this--it is almost completely localized to the mall (which, I recognize, is still a problem and something to be considered when looking at a new home).

Old 03-03-2008, 05:05 PM

677 posts, read 4,198,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnm68 View Post
Also, although they are not "Oak Park-like," you may want to look at LaGrange Park and North Riverside. These communities both have low taxes, solid housing (although small lots) and good schools. If you do any independant research, you will discover that North Riverside has an absurdly high crime rate--don't be too disturbed by this--it is almost completely localized to the mall (which, I recognize, is still a problem and something to be considered when looking at a new home).
I agree. I feel uncomfortable going to that mall even in the daytime, but the part of North Riverside bordered by 17th Ave, 1st Ave, and Cermak Rd is safe and it's really nice with the forest preserve being the southern boundary. I see deer there along 26th St very often when I visit my friend who lives in that neighborhood. But the K-8 district in the neighborhood is not very good. Anyone who can afford to sends their kids to private school for K-8. The high school is Riverside-Brookfield which is a good school as others have mentioned.

Old 03-03-2008, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I always think of Mobsters when I think of Elmwood Park. Is this being unfair? It's got such a 1950s Italian feel to it with all of the banquet halls and family style restaurants (I love Armand's Pizza on Grand).

How does Elmwood Park compare to River Grove? Both seem about the same to me. I definitely prefer Berwyn to both of these options, but have less familiarity with Brookfield. One benefit to Brookfield is that it shares a high school with somewhat upscale Riverside.
Well it's not unfair, but most of us aren't mobsters, lol! Elmwood Park is pricier than River Grove and doesn't have an industrial area as River Grove does. There are comparable homes, but Elmwood Park has some much larger and nicer ones. As far as I know, there's only 1 banquet hall on Grand Avenue. Aside from Armand's on Grand, the more popular restaurants are on North Avenue; Jim & Pete's, Spizacco, Boca, New Star Chinese, Massa and Cafe Cubano and of course Johnnie's beef stand. The other area with restaurants is south of Grand, in "the circle" that encircles the community pool. EP has Forest Preserves along Thatcher and a country club nestled along Thatcher. For a town of about 20,000 people, we have a lot of eateries. As I mentioned earlier, we're very close to Oak Park. Literally 5 minutes in a car and about 15 on a bicycle. Being adjacent to River Forest is an added bonus. River Forest is beautiful and many EP residents frequent it to bicycle, jog or attend events at Dominican University. EP is a nice neighborhood and similar to Berwyn, has a city feel to it. It seems to either not be too popular or a best kept secret because it's not mentioned much in threads.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:15 PM

Speaking of places to live, if you like Italian Beef and want a good laugh, check this out:

YouTube - Sam Loves Beef!

Old 03-09-2008, 03:34 PM

79 posts, read 263,353 times
Being that you are first time home buyers, I would not focus on entering a neighborhood based on schools if you have no kids right now. You will more than likely sell within 5-6 years to get a bigger better home anyway after you realize you need more room (for the kids).

I would focus on affordability, first and foremost and taxes to save you the most money right now allowing you to put money away instead of renting and throwing it out the window. "South" Berwyn has some great homes. I just went to show a very nice, all updated w/huge kitchen (and greater price in the lower $200's). Brookfield also has homes that are priced same. Also south Stickey and Forest View and Lyons (low taxes). You get the deal now, shop around buy for as low as you can, make the equity back in a few years and move out to the place you "want to be".

My suggestion would be to make a 5 year plan on Downers Grove - the area is very family friendly, hip, close to retail and restaurants lots to do.

What price range are you setting a purchase goal on?

Old 03-09-2008, 09:06 PM

71 posts, read 268,260 times
Thanks for the info! We're looking around $250,000. $275,000 max.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs