Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 12:27 PM

99 posts, read 70,206 times

Advertisements

When I still lived in Lake in the Hills I would drive through Barrington Hills down County Line Road on my way to work everyday and the two places could not be more different. LITH is a very typical NW Burb in just about every respect. Typical subdivisions, strip malls, chain stores, etc. If you have seen one you have seen them all. The houses in Barrington Hills are more like estates really. Almost all of them are on some acreage and they have more of an "old money" type of feel to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2019, 05:41 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,824,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
I disagree with this for the most part. Skokie is a mature built-out suburb just like Evanston and the other North Shore communities. They actually built-out around the same time. If you explore a lot of west Evanston, the 2nd ward especially, you'll find that '50s and '60s homes make up the majority of the housing stock. Skokie/Evanston 60203 looks more like northwest Evanston, with most of the housing being built in the '30s and '40s by the developer C.A. Hemphill who resided in Evanston for most of his life. Skokie also has its fair share of mid-rise buildings scattered throughout, especially along Skokie Blvd, Woods Drive, Golf Road, and in its downtown. Skokie doesn't have Metra, but it does have CTA and Pace. Evanston and Skokie are similar in size, share schools, and have some reciprocity of resident benefits. The North Shore Channel divides Evanston into two parts as well...

I think the person mentioning Maywood and River Forest nailed it. I might add North Chicago and Lake Bluff.
I agree. Skokie is incredibly diverse. It is part of the Chicago grid which had been laid out before WWII but developed afterwards the grid means there is no sprawl and the main arteries are lned with stores the same way you would see in North Side neighborhoods Having two CTA stations is something few suburbs have

Evanston IMHO projects true “college town” credentials at its core, its downtown area is where it is because of Northwestern. It and areas around it were part of NU’s original land track. I’d be hard put to think of American suburbs that have that collegiate feel, particularly one as close in as Evanston

But Evanston is college town mainly in its middle

Elsewhere, Evanston tends to mimic its neighbors. Nort and Northwest you have Evanston at its most North Shore. Drive down Central Street and it feels much like Wilmette. Evanston and Wilmette along the lakefront differ from the rest of the North Shore: houses are closer together and without the. Tear downs

The apts and also the homes in south Evanston are like a higher quality Rogers Park

West Evanston, as atrip on Dodge Avenue reveals, has the early 1950s look of Skokie. And the part of Skokie that feeds into the Evanston schools is most influenced by Evanston

Old 08-29-2019, 11:35 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,623,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
River Forest and Maywood.

This, and also Oak Park and Berwyn is also pretty stark. Crossing Roosevelt seems like a different world.

Old 08-30-2019, 05:31 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,870,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
This, and also Oak Park and Berwyn is also pretty stark. Crossing Roosevelt seems like a different world.
How so? Both are inner-ring suburbs with a dense layout on a grid. Is the architecture or the general vibe different?

Old 08-30-2019, 08:24 AM

529 posts, read 646,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Nah, I'd argue they are quite similar, especially south Oak Park and North Berwyn.

Old 08-30-2019, 11:31 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,623,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeman7 View Post
Nah, I'd argue they are quite similar, especially south Oak Park and North Berwyn.
Then I'd argue that you don't live in those areas. Oak Park and Berwyn are very different when considering housing vernacular, demographics, etc., and the differences across each side of Roosevelt are stark. South of Roosevelt is nearly all bungalows, north of Roosevelt the number of bungalows reduces drastically and you get queen Anne's, four squares and generally much larger houses. Also, the demographics are incredibly different from N. Berwyn (predominently Hispanic) while in South Oak Park there are literally no Hispanic families, probably 75-80% white and remainder black. Oak Park and Berwyn are VERY different suburbs.

Old 08-30-2019, 12:44 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,543,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
The apts and also the homes in south Evanston are like a higher quality Rogers Park
Ummm...no comment.

Old 08-30-2019, 04:10 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,824,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Ummm...no comment.
I'm not sure why not. If you want to comment, you should do so. I am suggesting that South Evanston creates a mix of two and three flats along with older brick homes that shares a likeness to what one finds in Rogers Park.

South Evanston has an edge over Rogers Park: it has Evanston schools, it has no basically impoverished area like Juneway Terrace. It certainly has a far nicer lakefront.

One could make the assumption that "Ummmm...no comment" means: "You're an idiot for writing what you did" although for the life of me, I can't imagine why a comparison to Evanston and Rogers Park housing stock would generate such a response.

Hiruko, I will not ever "Ummmm...no comment" you. I have no desire to put you down. If i disagree with you, I will say so. Whether it is on the Evanston-Rogers Park similarities or on the most clear and evident nature of Stevenson High School, a diverse place where in-service gives suggestions on how to read difficult to pronounce names. Anyone who has ever stepped foot in SHS would attest to its diversity and its decided non-white dominatied and provides a basically united nations setting.

If you want to play games, go for it. I don't. And I can prove it by my previous post, the one that responded to yours, the one I began with "I agree".

And personally I am glad that I tossed in an "I agree" as opposed to a "Ummmmm...no comment"

Have a good day.

Old 10-19-2022, 12:06 PM

3,439 posts, read 3,366,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
I'm not sure why not. If you want to comment, you should do so. I am suggesting that South Evanston creates a mix of two and three flats along with older brick homes that shares a likeness to what one finds in Rogers Park.

South Evanston has an edge over Rogers Park: it has Evanston schools, it has no basically impoverished area like Juneway Terrace. It certainly has a far nicer lakefront.

One could make the assumption that "Ummmm...no comment" means: "You're an idiot for writing what you did" although for the life of me, I can't imagine why a comparison to Evanston and Rogers Park housing stock would generate such a response.

Hiruko, I will not ever "Ummmm...no comment" you. I have no desire to put you down. If i disagree with you, I will say so. Whether it is on the Evanston-Rogers Park similarities or on the most clear and evident nature of Stevenson High School, a diverse place where in-service gives suggestions on how to read difficult to pronounce names. Anyone who has ever stepped foot in SHS would attest to its diversity and its decided non-white dominatied and provides a basically united nations setting.

If you want to play games, go for it. I don't. And I can prove it by my previous post, the one that responded to yours, the one I began with "I agree".

And personally I am glad that I tossed in an "I agree" as opposed to a "Ummmmm...no comment"

Have a good day.
Although I only ran into this comment years late(and finally today), I actually agree that the housing stock of south Evanston and north Rogers Park indeed feels similar to each other. I bike through both areas from time to time, and see those similarities regularly myself.

Old 10-19-2022, 02:09 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,543,450 times
What part of this looks like Rogers Park???

Sure, some of the bungalows that are to the west of Ridge are similar, but to the west of Ridge doesn't even border Rogers Park. It borders West Ridge. The part of Evanston on the other side of the cemetery is clearly grander than almost anything in Rogers Park. There are some lovely remaining homes on Sheridan and some of the side streets, but they are largely more modest than up the road in Evanston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs