Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 02:12 PM

2,522 posts, read 4,392,673 times

Advertisements

The way I look at it, is any suburb that has to remind people to use common courtesy on signs throughout the town, might not be the place to raise a family. Seriously, what are those signs all about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 02:34 PM

939 posts, read 2,380,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamama Mia View Post
The way I look at it, is any suburb that has to remind people to use common courtesy on signs throughout the town, might not be the place to raise a family. Seriously, what are those signs all about?
I'm fairly certain this wasn't a serious question, but if you'd like to know more:

Character Counts! (http://www.cityhpil.com/community/character_counts.html - broken link)

Old 10-30-2008, 05:22 PM

5 posts, read 11,676 times
Thank you Paige65!

Old 10-31-2008, 09:33 AM

2,522 posts, read 4,392,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige65 View Post
I'm fairly certain this wasn't a serious question, but if you'd like to know more:

Character Counts! (http://www.cityhpil.com/community/character_counts.html - broken link)
My comment was really to make people . But when I bring out-of-town friends to Highland Park to lunch or shopping, they think the signage is the funniest thing, ever.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,941 times
Thumbs down Vaid concern

Quote:
Originally Posted by float83 View Post
We moved to Highland Park from out of state. I don't know if this is the right place for us. What is the best city for a jewish family looking for a nice, humble and caring community.
I would characterize us as being liberal, creative and laid back.
As far as school goes, we would like a little diversity.
I moved to Highland Park along time ago from Chicago. It is a beautiful place to live, safe, successful and convenient for those who work in Chicago. I like some of the suggestions below regarding Skokie or Buffalo Grove if you prefer the northern suburbs. Skokie can be a little rough in spots and has smaller homes. Buffalo Grove can be inconvenient being so far west. Evanston can be described as a mini Chicago so be careful about which part. Your concern about HP is warranted so find an answer shortly. I did not see any mention of Long Grove (good if you like a quasi country feel) or I would agree that the right part of Evanston would fit what you are requesting.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:29 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,833,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige65 View Post
I'd suggest Evanston, even though there isn't a significant jewish population there. I don't think there's a synagogue in Evanston, but I could be wrong about that as I'm not jewish and don't know much about synagogues beyond Highland Park/Glencoe.
actually Evanston does have a number of synagogues. At one time, the southwest portion of Evanston (around Asbury and Oakton) had a very heavy Jewish concentration. But even today, Evanston, as a liberal enclave, has a good sized Jewish community. It is so well dispersed though that it does not stand out in the sense that there are no Jewish neighborhoods.

Highland Park is a great community, IMHO, but it tends to be more insular than other heavily Jewish suburbs (like Buf Gr, Nbk, Dfd), more set apart than others.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:01 AM

115 posts, read 291,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamama Mia View Post
I laughed.

It seems strange to me that the city has to teach their children this. Isn't it up to the parents?

Old 04-01-2009, 04:28 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnorthshore View Post
I moved to Highland Park along time ago from Chicago. It is a beautiful place to live, safe, successful and convenient for those who work in Chicago. I like some of the suggestions below regarding Skokie or Buffalo Grove if you prefer the northern suburbs. Skokie can be a little rough in spots and has smaller homes. Buffalo Grove can be inconvenient being so far west. Evanston can be described as a mini Chicago so be careful about which part. Your concern about HP is warranted so find an answer shortly. I did not see any mention of Long Grove (good if you like a quasi country feel) or I would agree that the right part of Evanston would fit what you are requesting.
Wait-Buffalo Grove is too far west, but Long Grove is not? Sorry, you got my "Rand McNally" hackles up. My SIL lives in BG and finds it somewhat snooty.
She is jewish, but is Ukranian immigrant not a North Shore "princess" so this may explain her disdain for BG. I would recommend Arlington Heights. Less "keeping up with the Jonses" mentality then the North Shore, yet still offers excellent schools, park district and library.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:26 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,811,723 times
Highland Park is about as good as you are going to get for a Chicago suburb - if that isn't working for you, I doubt that Skokie woud (smaller lot) - maybe you should look to California or Washington state.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:18 AM

115 posts, read 291,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
Highland Park is about as good as you are going to get for a Chicago suburb - if that isn't working for you, I doubt that Skokie woud (smaller lot) - maybe you should look to California or Washington state.
Maybe the OP is concerned about other things besides lot size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs