U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2017, 09:51 AM

26 posts, read 30,776 times

Advertisements

My list: Ingleside, Long Lake, Harvard, Sandwich, Beecher, Peotone(maybe a little more well known because of the airport plans), Third Lake, Hainesville
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2017, 09:53 AM

1,851 posts, read 1,944,419 times
McCook?

Old 03-14-2017, 10:07 AM

526 posts, read 536,794 times
If it weren't for the water tower along 294, I'd never have heard of Worth.

Old 03-14-2017, 01:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,484 times
Burnham, IL.
Sandwiched between the Hegewisch neighborhood of Chicago to the north, Hammond, IN. to the east, and Calumet City to the south and west sides. Only 3.9 sq. miles, and 3,900 residents. 75% of the town is either Forest Preserve, Natural protected wetlands, or the golf course.

Old 03-15-2017, 12:31 PM

282 posts, read 401,033 times
Fox River Grove, Ritchie, Wilton Center, Preston Heights.

Old 03-15-2017, 01:16 PM

526 posts, read 536,794 times
Never heard of Wilton Center, Ritchie or Preston Heights, but they're unincorporated...and beyond Joliet.

Old 03-15-2017, 10:16 PM

335 posts, read 297,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
In regards to Bannockburn...

I was talking about something my colleagues said. They may have been from the city or from suburbs far away, and didn't know the local area. It seems like people here are very trigger-happy about throwing tomatoes at someone .

The Deerfield/Bannockburn connection is true, through. I know they share a ZIP code (or maybe used to), because when I received mail from an outside company, on occasion, the envelope or package would have my company's street address, but the city name would say "Deerfield".
Yes! They love to pump themselves up and snicker about other people. Very middle-schoolish.

FLOWERFIELD -- between Lombard and glen ellyn

Old 03-16-2017, 07:31 AM

5,712 posts, read 3,192,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco1234 View Post
FLOWERFIELD -- between Lombard and glen ellyn
I saw that name pop up a while ago; I don't remember where, though. I never knew it was a suburb; I thought it was a house subdivision. I must say: it sounds intriguing and mystical. Probably due to the similarity to the movie name "Cloverfield".

Old 03-16-2017, 01:31 PM

201 posts, read 237,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray14528 View Post
Burnham, IL.
Sandwiched between the Hegewisch neighborhood of Chicago to the north, Hammond, IN. to the east, and Calumet City to the south and west sides. Only 3.9 sq. miles, and 3,900 residents. 75% of the town is either Forest Preserve, Natural protected wetlands, or the golf course.
That is really a perfect example.

I see your location is Burnham, care to share any insight on the town? Demographics, Industry, goings-on, etc?

Burnham is a perfect example of what I interpreted this thread to be all about: A suburb that literally borders Chicago and yet somehow flies under that radar, wedged in between better-known municipalities. Awesome.

Old 03-16-2017, 02:27 PM

5,712 posts, read 3,192,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark&Addison View Post
Burnham is a perfect example of what I interpreted this thread to be all about: A suburb that literally borders Chicago and yet somehow flies under that radar, wedged in between better-known municipalities. Awesome.
That's true. But it's usually really easy to spot the Chicago/suburb border, if you're out "in the field". How? Look at the streetlights. Chicago has the characteristic high-pressure sodium (amber) ones, while most suburbs have mercury vapor (cool white) ones. The streetlight shapes may vary too.

There may be even more differences: the road pavement, the street name sign color (green is standard, but some suburbs use other colors), or even the building architectural style. Suburb/suburb borders, on the other hand, may be much harder to spot "in the field", because you don't have the characteristic amber streetlights on one side of the street.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 03-16-2017 at 02:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs