U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 07-28-2018, 08:38 AM
 
Location: Chicago
6,359 posts, read 8,086,456 times
Reputation: 5811

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakecountylifer View Post
Bannockburn is affiliated with Deerfield...not highland Park. Schools, fire, lifestyle.
when Deerfield High School was being planned/built, there was talk of it being called Bannockburn HS....there was some pretty open land, outside of any city limits, on Waukegan Road....so, if I'm not mistaken, Deerfield had yet to expand into what today is its far western edge.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-28-2018, 08:40 AM
 
Location: Chicago
6,359 posts, read 8,086,456 times
Reputation: 5811
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Allow me to add Deer Park as well, since it's overshadowed by the better-known Long Grove.
true. but the life style center actually gives it a high enough presence in its part of the northwest suburbs.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2018, 08:42 AM
 
Location: Chicago
6,359 posts, read 8,086,456 times
Reputation: 5811
I'll bet none of you ever heard of Evanston.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2018, 09:12 AM
 
Location: Crook County, Hellinois
5,712 posts, read 3,192,437 times
Reputation: 7926
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
when Deerfield High School was being planned/built, there was talk of it being called Bannockburn HS....there was some pretty open land, outside of any city limits, on Waukegan Road....so, if I'm not mistaken, Deerfield had yet to expand into what today is its far western edge.
I'll probably catch a little bit of heat for being pedantic here, but whatever. Allow me to propose a semi-humorous theory.

Given the rhythm of the common sports chant and the syllable structure of these names, the name Deerfield works a whole lot better. (If you know music theory, it has a syncopated 4/4 time signature.) Consider:
"Let's go, Deerfield! <clap-clap, clap-clap-clap!>"

One-syllable names use a different rhythm. (With an syncopated 4/4 or 2/2 time signature.)
"Let's go, Team! <pause>" No clapping.

It's a lot trickier to do the same chant with the name Bannockburn. You'd have to slur over some syllables (like "Bank-burn" or something) or use a nonstandard chant altogether. Just saying.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 07-28-2018 at 09:32 AM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2018, 03:04 AM
 
6,434 posts, read 6,345,502 times
Reputation: 8715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffland219 View Post
I don't think I've met a single person from Lake Station, let alone New Chicago, despite living to the west of Gary in the Highland/Griffith area.
Hey, my wife is from Lake Station.

I don't think it's possible for a suburb to be more obscure than Indian Creek, IL. Google it.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2018, 04:09 PM
 
2,571 posts, read 2,007,238 times
Reputation: 8409
Tessville!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2018, 04:45 PM
 
Location: Chicago
6,359 posts, read 8,086,456 times
Reputation: 5811
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I'll probably catch a little bit of heat for being pedantic here, but whatever. Allow me to propose a semi-humorous theory.

Given the rhythm of the common sports chant and the syllable structure of these names, the name Deerfield works a whole lot better. (If you know music theory, it has a syncopated 4/4 time signature.) Consider:
"Let's go, Deerfield! <clap-clap, clap-clap-clap!>"

One-syllable names use a different rhythm. (With an syncopated 4/4 or 2/2 time signature.)
"Let's go, Team! <pause>" No clapping.

It's a lot trickier to do the same chant with the name Bannockburn. You'd have to slur over some syllables (like "Bank-burn" or something) or use a nonstandard chant altogether. Just saying.
Apparently you lacked the creativity or insight to realize what a great cheer song and dance song, Doing The Bannock Burn, would have been.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2018, 06:49 PM
 
12,917 posts, read 17,659,991 times
Reputation: 9075
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
Tessville!
No fair using obsolete town names!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2018, 08:25 PM
 
4,016 posts, read 3,631,450 times
Reputation: 3118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Hey, my wife is from Lake Station.

I don't think it's possible for a suburb to be more obscure than Indian Creek, IL. Google it.
Meh. It’s right on par with (and in the same county as) Green Oaks.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2018, 07:26 AM
 
Location: IL
526 posts, read 536,794 times
Reputation: 653
LETS GO BANNOCK-BURN! <CLAP CLAP CLAP-CLAP-CLAP>


Bannock would be eighth notes. Works for me.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top