Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which will become a dead mall?
Gurnee Mills 2 4.00%
Hawthorn Mall 0 0%
Northbrook Court 2 4.00%
Golf Mill Mall 3 6.00%
Lincolnwood Town Center 1 2.00%
Harlem Irving Plaza 2 4.00%
Woodfield Mall 0 0%
Stratford Square Mall 11 22.00%
Fox Valley Mall 0 0%
Spring Hill Mall 1 2.00%
Yorktown Shopping Center 1 2.00%
North Riverside Park Mall 2 4.00%
Ford City Mall 5 10.00%
Chicago Ridge Mall 4 8.00%
River Oaks Mall 10 20.00%
Orland Square Mall 3 6.00%
Louis Joliet Mall 3 6.00%
Southlake Mall 0 0%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 09:23 PM

49 posts, read 99,174 times

Advertisements

Which Chicagoland mall do you think will be next to go downhill? Dixie Square stood for decades before being demolished. Randhurst became an outdoor center years ago. Evergreen Plaza closed 4 short years ago, but it didn't take long for it to be leveled. Lincoln Mall is the latest one to be waiting for the wrecking ball. Charlestowne is a disaster in its current state and will likely need some kind of major redevelopment to be relevant again.

But which "live" mall is most likely to go that route one day in the future? Consider all factors, from store selection, to attractions, to mall traffic, to building condition, to safety, to commercial viability of the area, to competition with other malls or shopping centers in the area, so on.

Other than the likes of Charlestowne, most of the remaining indoor malls in Chicagoland are mostly filled. But some have lost anchors, some are losing national tenants, some have vacancies piling up inside, some have non-traditional tenants, some just have a downright bad rap. Which mall will see its occupancy rate plummet below 50% and will eventually require redevelopment or demolition?

We're not including the obvious choices like Charlestowne, or tiny ones like Belvidere Discount Mall or Oak Mill Mall which no longer function as traditional malls. I'm including some on the poll that seem a little absurd to even consider, but we have to be fair and make them all an option!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 09:26 AM

Have to say I'm a little surprised to see Chicago Ridge get a vote, and Louis Joliet get two votes.

But most of all, I didn't expect Yorktown to get a vote!

All interesting answers. Feel free to comment who you vote for, and why!

Old 03-20-2017, 10:12 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,959,480 times
No Charlestowne Mall in St. Charles? That place is a ghost town. Sad.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:34 AM

Default Which mall will be the next Charlestowne?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
No Charlestowne Mall in St. Charles? That place is a ghost town. Sad.
True, it is sad, but in the details, I wrote that malls like Charlestowne are not included. It's more a question about which will be the next dead mall (Charlestowne is already as dead as a door nail, so no speculation there), as opposed to the next to close.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:43 AM

224 posts, read 309,905 times
You forgot to add the mall in the Bradley/ Kankakee area. I believe it's called Northfield Square.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Blish View Post
You forgot to add the mall in the Bradley/ Kankakee area. I believe it's called Northfield Square.
Thanks. You're right. It is called Northfield Square, and I actually debated on adding that one, but I wondered if it might be too "far out." I probably should have put it on the poll though.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:14 PM

224 posts, read 309,905 times
Which will become a dead mall?

Gurnee Mills -Not anytime soon

Hawthorn Mall -Nope

Northbrook Court -Definitely not

Golf Mill Mall -Seems like a nice, but middle of the road inner suburban mall. As long as the anchors stay put and crime stays low, it should still thrive.

Lincolnwood Town Center -Same as Golf Mill. Maybe a notch or two better than Golf Mill.

Harlem Irving Plaza -Another middle of the road inner ring mall.

Woodfield Mall-Com'on why put this on the poll lol

Stratford Square Mall-This mall could use serious help.

Fox Valley Mall- See Woodfield.

Spring Hill Mall - Not too familiar with this mall so can't judge.

Yorktown Shopping Center- This mall has the disadvantage of being so close to Oak Brook Center. If this mall can serve as the middle class mall, it'll be ok.

North Riverside Mall-This mall is somewhat like what River Oaks was ~2000-2010. Keep anchors filled and crime down and it should be ok. I'm sure this mall attracts the working class shoppers who don't want to shop in DuPage County.

Ford City Mall- Despite its bad reputation and proximity to Chicago Ridge, this mall and surrounding area does extremely well in terms of store choices. Honestly, River Oaks/ Cal City/ Lansing could benefit greatly if they followed the same actions that this mall and surrounding towns did with remodeling, gaining new stores, etc.

Chicago Ridge Mall- Developers have kept this mall in good shape.

River Oaks Mall - Not quite dead but getting close. This mall and surrounding area needs more stores. If Ford City could pull it off, so can River Oaks.

Orland Square Mall-The southern suburbs most dominant mall. I'd say it's safe.

Louis Joliet Mall -Don't know much about this mall but I'm assuming it's nice since it's Joliet's only large regional mall.

Southlake Mall -The dominate mall of NW Indiana. Safe unless Schererville and Highland continue to get all the new stores.

Northfield Square-This mall helped contribute to the decline of Lincoln Mall. Prior to this mall, Kankakee area residents had to travel up 57 to Matteson to shop. Now they have this mall but it may be too large for the population of the Kankakee area. The owners of this mall also own River Oaks.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:35 PM

575 posts, read 615,735 times
The last time I was at Stafford Square it looked nearly dead. Can't remember when that was, but it was a long time ago. Maybe it's improved.

Old 03-20-2017, 11:49 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,114,614 times
Stratford square is in really bad shape. There are many closed storefronts there and it's starting to look like a ghost town. I expect it to go the way of Charlestowne in the not so distant future.

Old 03-25-2017, 10:47 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,824,213 times
I'm not really sure why you decided to go with indoor malls since by expanding by 2, Old Orchard and Oakbrook, you would be including all major malls in the Chicago area. Old Orchard are Oakbrook are like their brethren in all ways, save for having a roof, and are subject to the same conditions that face the other malls (although, in fairness, Old Orchard, Oakbrook, and Woodfield transcend the regular mall concept, being more like super malls)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs