Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2017, 08:08 PM

15 posts, read 25,058 times

Advertisements

We are considering purchasing a home in Lake Zurich. As first time Home buyers, I have a question about the Radon Testing that some realtors recommended us to get done. Not sure if this is extremely important or something that we can skip? And what factors would help us decide if Radon testing is essential or not ? Does age of home ( construction year before 1978) have something to do with this? Any inputs about Radon testing would help us decide on a home that we are considering to put in an offer for. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2017, 08:26 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,473,186 times
Radon is everywhere, it's just how much you have that makes a difference. The problem is how much you have fluctuates so a test today may yield different results than a test 6 months from now. Considering the size of the purchase you're about to make, you should have it tested. If the test comes out above the acceptable limit of 4 pCi/L. the seller is on the hook to remedy the situation. Radon mitigation systems are not that costly, around $1,500. They basically drill a large hole in your foundation and install a sealed pipe with slow moving fan to divert radon outside. You can buy short-term Radon test kits for $15 (or a 3 pack for $36) at Radon.com – The Radon Information Center

If you have an official test done prior to closing, it will probably cost you around $150. We recently purchased a home and had the test done and it came back slightly over the limit of 4 pCi/L. I insisted that the seller comp me $1,500 off the home so I could rectify the situation after we moved in or we would back out of the sale. Needless to say they comped me $1,500.

Don't sweat it, it's everywhere and the age of the home really doesn't matter. Things like cracks in the foundation, unsealed sump pits, crawl spaces will increase your potential for radon, but you may find that you have little to no Radon while a neighbor has high radon or vice versa. It's just a roll of the dice. Get er tested for piece of mind and then perform an annual test using the tests at radon.com I just retested and it came back at 2.6 pCi/L and we never put in a mitigation system, although I did have the sump pits sealed.

Old 03-30-2017, 08:28 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,896,161 times
You might want to read this:

Radon: Truth vs. myth

Quote:
Although political organizations (such as the US EPA) publish a variety of statements of elevated risk, to date there are no scientific studies that have ever actually shown that radon gas, as typically seen in houses, increases the risk of cancer. To be clear: There are NO valid studies that have conclusively demonstrated that typical residential exposures to radon increase the risk of cancer at all. In fact, all of the valid studies performed thus far show one of two things: 1) No risk and/or 2) a decreasing risk of cancer. This view is reflected in a position statement issued by the Health Physics Society, the premier Health Physics organization in the US. According to the position statement issued by the Health Physics Society1a, for doses below 100 mSv (10 rem)
Quote:
In a US Government Publication 11concerning radon, the following statement is made:

Currently there is very little information about...the health effects associated with exposures to radon at levels believed to be commonly encountered by the public. The only human data available for predicting the risks to the public are studies examining the health effects of exposure to radon and its progeny in underground miners. This information would be appropriate for predicting the risks to the public if everyone was a miner, everyone lived in mines, and a large fraction of the general population smoked cigarettes.

Old 03-30-2017, 08:50 PM

I tend to agree with nana053, although I would have it tested just to make sure the levels aren't off the charts. I had a plumber over recently who told me his home tested around 10 pCi/L. That level would make me nervous, especially if you have kids. Hell, if the home is empty, just buy and use one of those $15 test kits and call it a day. They send you an official report. You can even buy test kits at Home Depot.

Old 03-30-2017, 10:50 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,247,154 times
Anyone who cannot spend $150 on a standard radon test should perhaps pause before buying a home. It's the least of their worries(!)

Old 03-31-2017, 07:22 AM

Thanks everyone for the quick response on this. I appreciate the detailed explanations as it helped us understand about the pros of getting Radon testing done. Our realtor recommended getting it done by the Home inspector but quoted a price of about $300 for a 2500 sq ft single family. Is that a reasonable price or should I get it done by an independent Radon testing company? Was wondering if the results from the Radon Testing kit (from Home depot) can be used effectively to ask the seller to either mitigate or compensate us in case any the levels are high and require mitigation. Sorry for too many questions, just concerned as we are first time home buyers and every small cost that adds up increases our initial outgo. Thanks,

Old 03-31-2017, 07:45 AM

$300 is too much. I paid $150 and our home is larger, but we only tested the basement. Possibly your service is including multiple test locations? From what I've read, only the basement needs to be tested since that's where Radon gas will be the highest in a home.

Ask your inspector if he's licensed to do Radon testing, what tests he's performing and in which locations and then shop it around. How much is he charging for the Inspection? We paid $400 for the Home Inspection, but the Radon test was done Independently for an additional $150.

Here's the guy we used. He's licensed and did a great job. Did everything on-site and test ran for about 4 days testing hourly. >

Radon & Mold Testing Services
Joseph Burke
West Chicago
630-935-2888
jburke224@comcast.net

He's also listed here with many more that may be closer to you >

Heartland REALTOR® Organization | Real Estate, Housing | Radon Detection

Good question on the validity of the "do it yourself" kits, I'm not sure of the answer.

Last edited by flamadiddle; 03-31-2017 at 08:06 AM..

Old 03-31-2017, 07:49 AM

529 posts, read 646,680 times
Radon is a government conspiracy. I'd get the test that way if it is an 'unacceptable' level, you'll get to knock off some money on the cost of the home, but as was said above, no need to worry about it.

Old 03-31-2017, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
$300 is too much. I paid $150 and our home is larger, but we only tested the basement. Possibly your service is including multiple test locations? From what I've read, only the basement needs to be tested since that's where Radon gas will be the highest in a home.

Ask your inspector if he's licensed to do Radon testing, what tests he's performing and in which locations and then shop it around. How much is he charging for the Inspection? We paid $450 for the Home Inspection, but the Radon test was done Independently for an additional $150.

Here's the guy that did ours. He's licensed and did a great job. >

Radon & Mold Testing Services
Joseph Burke
West Chicago
630-935-2888
jburke224@comcast.net

He's also listed here with many more that may be closer to you >

Heartland REALTOR® Organization | Real Estate, Housing | Radon Detection

Good question on the validity of the "do it yourself" kits, I'm not sure of the answer.
Thanks a lot for the quick reply. And also for sharing the reference. I will immediately contact them. Thanks again.

Old 03-31-2017, 12:20 PM

196 posts, read 302,256 times
Regardless of whether or not one believes a 4pCi concentration is dangerous or unhealthy, it makes sense to get the test done if you think there is any possibility you will sell the house. That way, when your future buyer insists on a test and it comes in at 4.01pCi, you won't be shelling out the $ 1,500 to mitigate it if you get the seller to do it now (assuming a test now shows it above 4pCi also).

Also, try to get a test done by a firm/person who is NOT also in the business of providing Radon Mitigation systems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs