Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 07:26 AM

3 posts, read 4,005 times

Advertisements

I have been scouring the internet as well as doing searches in this forum, but can't seem to find much on this small suburb. We found a house here we really like, but want to make sure the area is okay first (have young kids). The crime data seems to suggest that it's a very low crime area. The public schools don't look great, but that's not a deal breaker. The area seems nice, but the housing prices are so cheap -- figured there had to be a catch. Thanks for any insight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2017, 07:42 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,936,800 times
There is a large sewerage treatment plant there. Its okay...but not exactly anywhere I would pick to buy a home. If you like that area, I'd suggest looking into Brookfield.

Old 04-14-2017, 10:44 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,455,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LePetitPhoenix View Post
I have been scouring the internet as well as doing searches in this forum, but can't seem to find much on this small suburb. We found a house here we really like, but want to make sure the area is okay first (have young kids). The crime data seems to suggest that it's a very low crime area. The public schools don't look great, but that's not a deal breaker. The area seems nice, but the housing prices are so cheap -- figured there had to be a catch. Thanks for any insight!
That catch would be Morton West High School. That feared entity which sends liberal urbane parents who voted for Bernie and support sanctuary city ordinances scurrying out of the community when their kids hit school age, due to its, ahem, "test scores." It also keeps middle and upper middle class families at bay. This school is single handedly why Berwyn is not an upscale community comparable to Oak Park and Riverside.

Stickney is generally a nice quiet community to live in. But move there expecting that Morton is going to put a cap on your potential appreciation.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:29 AM

Thanks for your feedback! I would just be renting, so appreciation is not an issue. The sewage treatment plant; however, is a concern for me. Is there a distinct smell in the summer time?

Old 04-16-2017, 11:16 AM

263 posts, read 567,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LePetitPhoenix View Post
Thanks for your feedback! I would just be renting, so appreciation is not an issue. The sewage treatment plant; however, is a concern for me. Is there a distinct smell in the summer time?
Yes.

Old 04-16-2017, 07:21 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,899,548 times
Stinkney?

Old 04-16-2017, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peer79 View Post
Yes.
Like how offensive/noticeable are we talking here? Notice it when the wind pick up type smell or make a point to stay inside all summer type smell?

Old 04-17-2017, 06:21 PM

4 posts, read 3,120 times
I've never heard anything nice about Stickney. A friend who grew up there has seen gang violence in person, not to mention the "Stinkney, ****ney" jokes that come with the unfortunate sewage situation. As others have suggested, renting north or west in Berwyn or Brookfield gives you affordable options and perhaps a more savory area.

Old 04-18-2017, 09:46 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,455,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brashjays View Post
I've never heard anything nice about Stickney. A friend who grew up there has seen gang violence in person, not to mention the "Stinkney, ****ney" jokes that come with the unfortunate sewage situation. As others have suggested, renting north or west in Berwyn or Brookfield gives you affordable options and perhaps a more savory area.
I'm unaware of any gang violence in Stickney but who knows these days right? Do bear in mind though that people in the near suburbs define "gang" violence and activity much more broadly than city dwellers do. An empty Popeye's box and two liter bottle of grape Nehi on the front lawn will be taken as signs of imminent decline there, whereas the new residents of Logan Square will react to gun shots down the block by turning up the TV. Somewhere in the middle lies the balance!

Old 04-18-2017, 10:55 AM

529 posts, read 647,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brashjays View Post
There is 'Gang violence' Brookfield and Berwyn too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs