Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 04:51 PM

3,495 posts, read 2,181,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJski View Post
Thank you for doing the homework i was too lazy to do... i get into my area bubbles and think hyper core locations - hence why in my head hinsdale is generally 1m+++ to get a place... in my happy perfect real estate world starbucks had to be within a half mile along with the station...
Yea Hinsdale home prices are officially back to being ridiculous, especially for the type of location you described. It sucks too because we are basically getting priced of the area when we look to move in a couple years. Only option would be to build on but not sure we could afford to do that either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 08:35 AM

748 posts, read 832,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kind Of Town View Post
Yea Hinsdale home prices are officially back to being ridiculous, especially for the type of location you described. It sucks too because we are basically getting priced of the area when we look to move in a couple years. Only option would be to build on but not sure we could afford to do that either.
Why does it suck to move into a place where property prices have risen? I understand higher taxes are a possibility, but would you not want to be in a more desirable area? Or, is it that it makes it harder to move within the neighborhood?

Old 05-24-2017, 06:53 PM

3,495 posts, read 2,181,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJA29 View Post
Why does it suck to move into a place where property prices have risen? I understand higher taxes are a possibility, but would you not want to be in a more desirable area? Or, is it that it makes it harder to move within the neighborhood?
In my case it's just poor timing because we are looking for a larger home within the next few years. The rise in prices puts many of the homes that were once affordable (back in 2010-2012) out of reach for us now. Would love to stay in the same area/neighborhood but don't think we will be able to afford to.

Old 05-24-2017, 07:14 PM

748 posts, read 832,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kind Of Town View Post
In my case it's just poor timing because we are looking for a larger home within the next few years. The rise in prices puts many of the homes that were once affordable (back in 2010-2012) out of reach for us now. Would love to stay in the same area/neighborhood but don't think we will be able to afford to.
I do understand that. For those looking to upsize, a market downturn is actually a benefit.

Old 05-25-2017, 07:56 AM

9 posts, read 10,934 times
Wheaton is more affordable than elmhurst & is really very family oriented. Fantastic school district and all the shopping you need. There is a cute downtown and you're also close to Naperville which is a great downtown area. I would also check out glen ellyn. Very charming but a little pricier than Wheaton.

Old 05-25-2017, 08:38 AM

335 posts, read 333,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betty912 View Post
Wheaton is more affordable than elmhurst & is really very family oriented. Fantastic school district and all the shopping you need. There is a cute downtown and you're also close to Naperville which is a great downtown area. I would also check out glen ellyn. Very charming but a little pricier than Wheaton.
The property taxes in both Wheaton and GE are idiotic. When we were considering buying there every home we looked at had a bill of min 12k, most closer to 15k.

Old 05-25-2017, 08:45 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,168,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco1234 View Post
The property taxes in both Wheaton and GE are idiotic. When we were considering buying there every home we looked at had a bill of min 12k, most closer to 15k.
Wheaton also has a median income in excess of $100,000 per year. You're always so hung up on property taxes that you're failing to see the forest for the trees.

Old 05-25-2017, 08:51 AM

335 posts, read 333,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
Wheaton also has a median income in excess of $100,000 per year. You're always so hung up on property taxes that you're failing to see the forest for the trees.
Ummmm, no. No I'm not. Regardless of your income (ours is well beyond that), seeing a house with 16 or 17k property taxes is SHOCKING! you're paying over a thousand a month in taxes. Oddly, we looked at this house a few years ago. It's been bought and sold now several times. Probably partially because of 18k tax bill. Good lord.

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Glen-Ellyn.../home/17173861

Old 05-25-2017, 08:57 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,168,747 times
Quote:
Ummmm, no. No I'm not. Regardless of your income (ours is well beyond that), seeing a house with 16 or 17k property taxes is SHOCKING! you're paying over a thousand a month in taxes. Oddly, we looked at this house a few years ago. It's been bought and sold now several times. Probably partially because of 18k tax bill. Good lord.

LOL, you can't remind everyone enough about your income, Taco. Lets pretend your household has a combined income of 300k a year. 15k would be less than one percent of your annual earnings. It's bizarre that such an affluent family would gripe about such a trivial amount of their income .

Old 05-25-2017, 09:00 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,247,845 times
Quote:

Oh jeez. You feel the tax bill drove off the residents? ROTFL (They didn't know their taxes when they purchased the home??) There are a myriad of reasons why someone might sell a home. It's a very affluent area with good schools, so there's no huge surprise that high flyers come and go sometimes. These people don't usually buy in *****y areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs