Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 04:52 PM

11 posts, read 16,526 times

Advertisements

We currently live in the NW suburbs, and while we love our sub-division, we have been assigned to a sub-par school district of an adjoining suburb (I'll refrain from venting about how school boundaries are determined).

Our son will be starting 3rd grade this fall, and we'd like to move to the North Shore to enroll him in a better school district. I've read rave reviews about New Trier and Adlai Stevenson high schools (while our son is only 8, we expect our move to be long-term, and are looking ahead to high schools as well).

We have explored Winnetka, Wilmette, Northbrook and Lincolnshire. In addition to a good school district, we would love to move to a neighborhood that is somewhat diverse and generally open-minded towards other cultures (we are of Indian origin). Our young (and growing) family is able to assimilate reasonably well with all sorts of people, but we don't want to stand out either.

This will be a big decision/ big move for us and we want to set ourselves up to thrive in the suburb/ school we move into. Any perspective you can share about the schools and diversity (specifically others of Indian or Asian origin) will be very welcome and appreciated.

Many thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2017, 07:19 PM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,363,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS77 View Post
We currently live in the NW suburbs, and while we love our sub-division, we have been assigned to a sub-par school district of an adjoining suburb (I'll refrain from venting about how school boundaries are determined).

Our son will be starting 3rd grade this fall, and we'd like to move to the North Shore to enroll him in a better school district. I've read rave reviews about New Trier and Adlai Stevenson high schools (while our son is only 8, we expect our move to be long-term, and are looking ahead to high schools as well).

We have explored Winnetka, Wilmette, Northbrook and Lincolnshire. In addition to a good school district, we would love to move to a neighborhood that is somewhat diverse and generally open-minded towards other cultures (we are of Indian origin). Our young (and growing) family is able to assimilate reasonably well with all sorts of people, but we don't want to stand out either.

This will be a big decision/ big move for us and we want to set ourselves up to thrive in the suburb/ school we move into. Any perspective you can share about the schools and diversity (specifically others of Indian or Asian origin) will be very welcome and appreciated.

Many thanks in advance!
I would add to your list the Lake County side of Buffalo Grove. Many Asians have been moving into the area for quite some time driven by Stevenson. The Lake County side of BG is now close to 25% Asian. We have been in BG for 30 years and the change form a heavily Jewish area to a significantly Asian area has been remarkable. We are neither - just observing the demographic changes. Great place to raise a family.

Old 05-20-2017, 09:40 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,412,167 times
I completely agree with Buffalo Grove.

In fact, I have Indian family friends who are in the process of moving to Buffalo Grove right now out of their previous NW suburb because of blatant, awful discrimination going on at their child's school.

Their child is in first grade, and has faced teasing, exclusion, Trump quotes thrown in her face from other young children, who clearly get taught this somewhere. There has also been poor assistance in shutting this down from teachers/principal despite parental involvement. This is the first grade....... This is a darling child. A sweet and loving child .... yet innocent no longer.

Buffalo Grove is very diverse, great schools, good proportion of Indians. And a little more affordable than some of the other places you are considering.

Old 05-20-2017, 12:07 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,939,362 times
Buffalo Grove or Deerfield

Old 05-20-2017, 09:53 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,251,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
Buffalo Grove or Deerfield
DF would be fine, and very accepting compared to where the OP currently resides, but in all honesty there are few south asians in the schools here. A handful. It just depends on what they are looking for precisely.

Old 05-21-2017, 06:35 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,083,850 times
Buffalo Grove is the only place I would recommend out of the places you're looking at. You should look at Vernon hills. It's more diverse than Buffalo Grove. The high school is ranked very well.
May I ask what area your child went to school in?

Old 05-22-2017, 02:32 PM

155 posts, read 212,973 times
What about the other way, Hershey and Prospect Areas?

Old 05-22-2017, 04:59 PM

11 posts, read 16,526 times
Thank you all for your responses - the feedback is much appreciated. Thus far, we have narrowed our options to the Stevenson and New Trier school districts (based on what we have read and heard). Within those districts, we like the "feel" of both Lincolnshire and Winnetka, but are unsure about how comfortably we'd be able to integrate. Forgive me for invoking stereotypes, but we are more comfortable around families that are "grounded" (regardless of their economic background). I guess there's no polite way to have this discussion.

4122 - Sure. We live in Hoffman Estates, but have been assigned the Elgin School District. The elementary school my son attends is quite good; however, our neighbors have aired quite a bit of dissatisfaction regarding the middle and high school (supported by the Illinois Report Card).

AMD555 - We haven't really considered the suburbs you mentioned. Our focus has been more on the Stevenson and New Trier school districts.

Old 05-22-2017, 06:02 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,412,167 times
Families that are "grounded"? Maybe you should explain...

Old 05-22-2017, 06:21 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,376,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS77 View Post
Thank you all for your responses - the feedback is much appreciated. Thus far, we have narrowed our options to the Stevenson and New Trier school districts (based on what we have read and heard). Within those districts, we like the "feel" of both Lincolnshire and Winnetka, but are unsure about how comfortably we'd be able to integrate. Forgive me for invoking stereotypes, but we are more comfortable around families that are "grounded" (regardless of their economic background). I guess there's no polite way to have this discussion.

4122 - Sure. We live in Hoffman Estates, but have been assigned the Elgin School District. The elementary school my son attends is quite good; however, our neighbors have aired quite a bit of dissatisfaction regarding the middle and high school (supported by the Illinois Report Card).

AMD555 - We haven't really considered the suburbs you mentioned. Our focus has been more on the Stevenson and New Trier school districts.

Be careful on relying too heavily on general school stats (affected by various demographics and programs that may or may not affect your child) and the never-ending word on the street that Stevenson and New Trier are the only places to be... What does your child need? How does your child fit in to the environment? Stevenson/New Trier are great but not the only game in town. Who knows - maybe a move across the street to Hoffman Estates, Schaumburg, or Barrington school systems (all fed by Hoffman Estates) could be a good fit for your child, and offer the diversity you seek. Maybe there are some other good choices besides New Trier and Stevenson...

Having lived/worked in all the towns listed here, I have no idea what you mean by "grounded."

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 05-22-2017 at 06:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs