Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 05:13 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,479,741 times

Advertisements

We are looking to have a pool installed, but decided against an in-ground due to cost/time/taxes/resale and because we're not sure how long we plan to stay in this home. Anyone have a recommendation for an above ground pool purchase and installation in the Chicago area, preferably in the Western burbs? Is American Sale the place to go? Any other recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 02:38 AM

1,080 posts, read 837,060 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnLofBkLaAA

Old 06-07-2017, 07:08 AM

lol, I dunno, we had an above ground pool when I was a kid and we used it all the time and had a blast. I know it's a bit redneck, but with a decent deck/landscaping they don't look too bad. From what I've seen so far you can get a nice above ground pool package installed for around $10K. The quotes we received for an inground started at $70K. If I thought this was our forever home, I'd just bite the bullet and go inground. I also learned that your property taxes increase with inground, but not for above ground since they're considered personal property.

Old 06-08-2017, 11:22 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Default Huge mark-up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
lol, I dunno, we had an above ground pool when I was a kid and we used it all the time and had a blast. I know it's a bit redneck, but with a decent deck/landscaping they don't look too bad. From what I've seen so far you can get a nice above ground pool package installed for around $10K. The quotes we received for an inground started at $70K. If I thought this was our forever home, I'd just bite the bullet and go inground. I also learned that your property taxes increase with inground, but not for above ground since they're considered personal property.
The various components needed to make an above ground pool are now widely available on-line at much lower costs than any of the firms that have the overhead of retail locations and big advertising costs. Tracking down folks with the skills to properly prepare a site for the pool and assemble the components is not all that difficult either, it might make sense to consider getting bids from firms that build traditional decks to compare the cost of "surrounding" an above ground pool in the way that some firms do... How to Build a Pool Deck - Above Ground Pool Deck Plans

Old 06-08-2017, 11:38 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,098,331 times
I'd highly suggest building a large deck around the above ground pool. Makes it a lot more usable ie people can sit on the deck and dip their feet in, you can actually sit around and have a convo with people in the pool and it looks much less tacky and unsightly.

Old 06-08-2017, 03:59 PM

655 posts, read 1,128,482 times
Above ground pools scare me a little because I am always afraid that someone is going to try and dive into one and break their neck. Something to do with standing on that deck that makes it seem like it is deeper than it is.....it is different than standing on the edge of a shallow end of an in ground pool. But I am probably biased because both of my houses growing up had in ground pools.

That quote of 70 grand for an inground sounds a little out there....when I was looking for a pool for our yard it was more in the neighborhood of 40 grand and that was a decent size with filter and heater, etc. That was about 5 years ago but I don't think it would go up that drastically in that time frame. Obviously the range of cost depends on what all you are including and the size of the pool but for 70 grand that would be a pretty nice, large pool with all the mechanicals included. Was that from one company or were they all about that cost?

Old 06-10-2017, 11:55 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,939,362 times
Why not just go to the park district pools. The western suburbs have beautiful ones far better than you can put in your yard. There is such a risk of having any pool, and the maintenance is a pain especially for such a short season.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:09 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,518,664 times
Great Escape in Oak Brook and American Sale are the usual suspects. Russos in Northlake too.

Old 06-14-2017, 12:55 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,098,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
Why not just go to the park district pools. The western suburbs have beautiful ones far better than you can put in your yard. There is such a risk of having any pool, and the maintenance is a pain especially for such a short season.
Park District is great for not having to have the huge expense or the hassle of the maintenance but going to a park district or public pool isn't even in the same realm as having your own pool assuming your up for the maintenance.

No screaming kids, you can drink alcohol, you can have it all to yourself, you can go in the pool at 2am if you like, you can get home from work and take a quick 5 minute dip before showering and having dinner as opposed to having to pack things up and go to a public pool. I'm assuming the OP wants the experience of having their own convenient backyard pool.

Old 06-14-2017, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
Park District is great for not having to have the huge expense or the hassle of the maintenance but going to a park district or public pool isn't even in the same realm as having your own pool assuming your up for the maintenance.

No screaming kids, you can drink alcohol, you can have it all to yourself, you can go in the pool at 2am if you like, you can get home from work and take a quick 5 minute dip before showering and having dinner as opposed to having to pack things up and go to a public pool. I'm assuming the OP wants the experience of having their own convenient backyard pool.
Bingo! Yes, Totally Agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
View detailed profiles of: