Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who will win the 2018 election for govenor
Pritzker 26 31.33%
Rauner 34 40.96%
Kennedy 9 10.84%
other 14 16.87%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 09:13 AM

768 posts, read 1,104,111 times

Advertisements

Rja29... One other option is municipal bankruptcy - just like detroit...

Much larger case here but legal precedent has been set...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 09:15 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
^ the focus should be on spending cuts. Illinois already has some of the highest state and local taxes in the country.

Old 03-23-2018, 09:28 AM

748 posts, read 833,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
^ the focus should be on spending cuts. Illinois already has some of the highest state and local taxes in the country.
IL does have high taxes, yes. But it is very similar to many other major cities - and having a major city with a robust economy requires some spending. Not that we should spend on ridiculous pensions.

The problem is that when you compete against other states, it's a race to the bottom. The entirety of the issues need to be dealt with at a federal level, too. But, that's not likely to happen.

JJski- I'll pass on bankruptcy. Can't imagine that would go well...

Old 03-23-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJA29 View Post
I'll pass on bankruptcy. Can't imagine that would go well...
I never said it was a good option (many people get hosed) but it is an option was my only point... it actually worked out great for detroit and horrible for debt/pension Holders who were forced to settle on pennies... it also resulted in a complete leadership flush and reboot - something we desperately need here...

My oppinions are independent - i personally believe both parties are dirty (esp true in IL) but some good can be found in each - we as voters just need to find it in this sloppy mud pit called politics...

Last edited by JJski; 03-23-2018 at 10:28 AM..

Old 03-23-2018, 10:37 AM

20 posts, read 23,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJski View Post
Rja29... One other option is municipal bankruptcy - just like detroit...

Much larger case here but legal precedent has been set...
Quote:
I never said it was a good option (many people get hosed) but it is an option was my only point... it actually worked out great for detroit and horrible for debt/pension Holders who were forced to settle on pennies... it also resulted in a complete leadership flush and reboot - something we desperately need here...

My oppinions are independent - i personally believe both parties are dirty (esp true in IL) but some good can be found in each - we as voters just need to find it in this sloppy mud pit called politics...
Actually, it's not an option. States cannot legally file for bankruptcy at the moment, only municipalities (i.e. cities) can.

Old 03-23-2018, 11:16 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,460,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog_ View Post
Actually, it's not an option. States cannot legally file for bankruptcy at the moment, only municipalities (i.e. cities) can.
Another alternative is if SpaceX finds water on Mars maybe we can move everyone up there.

Old 03-23-2018, 11:22 AM

The Democratic in me says you can’t hurt the people who have worked hard and are owed money…
The Republican in me says there is a point in the numbers where a city/municipality is just no longer economically viable…

The interdependent in me (which has the greatest influence) suggests intelligent and logical social/fiscal balance – I am sure some cities here are well past that point and should declare bankruptcy. They just have no other option and folks tied to them will suffer the mismanagement consequences for the greater good. This would send community shock waves and help other IL cities/municipalities struggling to make the reforms that are so desperately needed (such as moving to 401Ks for new employees preserving older contracts because its the right and ethical thing to do) to come to the table and change - can’t keep doing the same thing expecting different results…

There really is no nice answer/option here to our problems... Although I do believe strongly in Chicago's future - the sky is not falling... Just on a part of the road that is very bumpy and hurts to drive on for now...

Old 03-23-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJA29 View Post
Many economists would make the argument that the economy is well beyond the influence of a single person. That said, the president *can* influence the economy. However, saying that the economy is working because of Trump seems shortsighted. How Donald Trump, Barack Obama compare on the stock market | PolitiFact

Either way, IL needs a combination of higher taxes and reduced services. There is simply no other way out of this mess.

I do hope that population trends reverse themselves. It's unsettling. I wonder if it has to do with the housing market here finally catching up to the rest of the nation? People can sell at a big gain, and they're taking their money and cashing out?
Anecdotal evidence would sure suggest this is true. I've been following various neighborhoods on MLS and it seems that every single 2 and 3 flat in West Town is for sale between 650k and 850k. Who the hell would pay that much when rents are about 1200 bucks a month is beyond me.

And people are paying mid to high 200s for 2-flats in East Garfield Park. You can get a comparable place in Detroit with a similar crime rate for about $20 grand. But, apparently, it's working, for now. Unfortunately I suspect someone's going to end up getting left holding the bag

Old 03-23-2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:
The Democratic in me says you can’t hurt the people who have worked hard and are owed money…
The Republican in me says there is a point in the numbers where a city/municipality is just no longer economically viable…

The interdependent in me (which has the greatest influence) suggests intelligent social/fiscal balance – I am sure some cities here are well past that point and should declare bankruptcy. They just have no other option and folks tied to them will suffer the mismanagement consequences for the greater good. This would send community shock waves and help other IL cities/municipalities struggling to make the reforms that are so desperately needed (such as moving to 401Ks for new employees) to come to the table and change - can’t keep doing the same thing expecting different results…

There really is no nice answer/option here to our problems... Although I do believe strongly in Chicago's future - the sky is not falling... Just on a part of the road that is very bumpy and hurts to drive on for now...
Unfortunately, a lot of people act like bankruptcy would be filed in a vacuum. If leaders of a city or state filed bankruptcy, then that would mean that special interest who got those same leaders into office would have to take a cut, primarily public sector unionized employees. Do you think any politician is going to have the courage, or even the slightest motivation, to do that? C'mon, man!

Old 03-23-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Unfortunately, a lot of people act like bankruptcy would be filed in a vacuum. If leaders of a city or state filed bankruptcy, then that would mean that special interest who got those same leaders into office would have to take a cut, primarily public sector unionized employees. Do you think any politician is going to have the courage, or even the slightest motivation, to do that? C'mon, man!
This unicorn leadership team will one day come...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs