Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who will win the 2018 election for govenor
Pritzker 26 31.33%
Rauner 34 40.96%
Kennedy 9 10.84%
other 14 16.87%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 09:38 PM

3,496 posts, read 2,186,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
Yes. The thing is, with an S-Corp it doesn't matter if that money is in my company bank account or my personal account. It doesn't really feel like I have that much since I'm saving to pay for company growth as soon as we can get out of our lease.
If your company is bringing in $500k a year in profit and you are paying $80k in taxes, that’s only a 16% rate. If you are bringing in well under $500k, then that was my entire point, you aren’t classified as “one of those rich people.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2018, 11:06 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,988,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kind Of Town View Post
If your company is bringing in $500k a year in profit and you are paying $80k in taxes, that’s only a 16% rate. If you are bringing in well under $500k, then that was my entire point, you aren’t classified as “one of those rich people.”
I realize that many people consider $500k to be the threshold for rich. I get it. My personal finances really aren't that relevant to the discussion. I pay a lot in taxes, way more than companies that are 100 times the size of mine. That seems very wrong, IMO.

People wonder why small businesses can't provide health insurance and other benefits. Well, taxes are a huge part of the problem. Property taxes on commercial properties in Cook County are insane. That's a problem too. Everywhere I look there's another tax/fee in Chicago. Every thing you can imagine is taxed somehow. It all adds up and I definitely consider moving my business to Indiana everyday. But, I think that would bother my customers, so I haven't done it. I might do it when our lease is up though. If I can cut prices because my rent and taxes are lower, that could make the move worth it to everyone.

Old 01-27-2018, 12:30 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,458,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
IWell, taxes are a huge part of the problem. Property taxes on commercial properties in Cook County are insane. That's a problem too. Everywhere I look there's another tax/fee in Chicago. Every thing you can imagine is taxed somehow. It all adds up and I definitely consider moving my business to Indiana everyday. But, I think that would bother my customers, so I haven't done it. I might do it when our lease is up though. If I can cut prices because my rent and taxes are lower, that could make the move worth it to everyone.
Wonder what the "free" state health care JB is promising will add to a business' bottom line on the expense side. Anyone know?

Old 01-28-2018, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Wonder what the "free" state health care JB is promising will add to a business' bottom line on the expense side. Anyone know?
No one knows? Hopefully this is a question you'll look at before voting though. Freebies like this sound nice but you have to look at the total picture in terms of ramifications.

Old 01-30-2018, 06:39 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
Take a look at the first, and probably only, GOP governor candidate debate. It was not televised.Ives crushes Rauner in Tribune governor debate - Chicago Tribune. It looks like Ives will give Rauner a run for his (substantial) money. And her campaign received half a million additional dollars.

Old 01-31-2018, 05:26 AM

3,496 posts, read 2,186,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Take a look at the first, and probably only, GOP governor candidate debate. It was not televised.Ives crushes Rauner in Tribune governor debate - Chicago Tribune. It looks like Ives will give Rauner a run for his (substantial) money. And her campaign received half a million additional dollars.
Rauner has been in over his head for the last 3+ years. He has no business being re-elected. I really like Ives. I just don’t know if she is a legitimate contender to the Democratic candidate given the current environment and that’s a real concern.

Old 01-31-2018, 11:45 AM

720 posts, read 1,084,247 times
Ives brought up a lot of fair points, but no way would she win in a general election against any Democrat really. Her far-right views on social issues would likely turn off a lot of Illinois Republicans, who are typically moderate Republicans that lean left on social issues (i.e. Rauner himself). Didn't they use a lot of the same smear tactics about far-right, social conservative views against Bill Brady when he squared off against Quinn (who was already coming into that election with the baggage of Blagojevich)? She also doesn't come off as awfully charismatic, and came off a bit snippy, which would be tough once you had to meet folks and hit the campaign trail. I voted Rauner in the poll, and would somewhat reluctantly vote for him again. I see he has at least tried. I think the thing he needs to work on is sounding less canned and practiced, truly his "Shake Up Springfield" agenda has largely been stymied by the likes of Madigan and co.

Old 01-31-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
He got pasted pretty good by the sound of things. Hopefully this is just a Mike Tyson thing, where he was overconfident and underprepared and got smashed down by Buster Douglas. If she wins the primary, I'm afraid she'll get trounced in the general and then we'll have JB, the Madigan agenda, and socialized health care, which I'm still not sure how is going to be rendered without driving more residents and businesses out of the state.

Old 01-31-2018, 01:53 PM

720 posts, read 1,084,247 times
At the very least, though he is somewhat ineffective, at least Rauner acts as somewhat of a logjam to Madigan and the Illinois Legislature's "grand designs" for the state. Better to have someone up there being able to oppose some of their baloney rather than a rubber stamp (JB).

Old 01-31-2018, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aga412 View Post
At the very least, though he is somewhat ineffective, at least Rauner acts as somewhat of a logjam).
This is perhaps the understatement of the year. He's the political equivalent of the leaves that get stuck in the gutter, preventing the water (our jobs and paychecks) from continuing to empty right out into the street and into the sewer. He hasn't accomplished much else but he's our best hope out of a poor lot. He will need a Republican majority in the General Assembly and Senate to get anything done though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs